HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 
 

 Latest Re-Stock

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Savin LE

avatar

Age : 48
Location : Scottish Borders
Registration date : 2016-06-12

PostSubject: Latest Re-Stock   Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:30 pm

Well it's that time of the month again when I order my tobacco  bounce  this order usually consists of any tobaccos I normally have in my rotation being re-stocked along with any new blends I haven't tried before  santa

This month there are a few new ones I'm looking forward to trying, among these are a couple of tins of McClelland Premium - Tastemaster, a ribbon cut aromatic containing Black Cavendish, Burley & Virginia, a couple tins of Rattray's - Marlin Flake which I am really looking forward to after reading a couple of good reviews about it

Another one I'm curious about is C&D - Bayou Morning Flake, I've had Bayou Morning in bulk form for a while now and have to say I really enjoy it either in the mornings with my coffee or as an all day smoke on the odd occasion.
Normally I prefer flakes but didn't see this in flake form before buying Bayou Morning bulk so this flake will no doubt be one of the first I try when they arrive

Also have more Sutliff - 1M & Cornell & Diehl - Byzantium coming, both of which I enjoy on their own, especially Byzantium, however I've discovered that if I mix approx 2 parts 1M and 1 part Byzantium, I get something like an "English aromatic?". I'm still refining the mix to suit my taste so the amounts are approximate still...I'd be interested in hearing back from anyone else who has tried this one.

One blend I have here which I'm just not getting along with is Cornell & Diehl - Atlas Balkan, despite liking latakia I just can't get my head around this one....if anyone wants it just drop me a pm and I'll send it on as I really can't see me smoking the rest of it  No ...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Old Nate
Not Really Old
avatar

Age : 34
Location : Western PA
Registration date : 2014-08-27

PostSubject: Re: Latest Re-Stock   Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:43 pm

Good haul. Marlin Flake is one of my favorites! Enjoy your loot!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Savin LE

avatar

Age : 48
Location : Scottish Borders
Registration date : 2016-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Latest Re-Stock   Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:38 pm

Thanks Nate,
I surely will buddy, there are a couple of others I didn't take the time to list which are mainly re-stocks anyway

Really looking forward to the Marlin Flake for sure, I read a couple of reviews on it including what's on TobaccoReviews.com which is pretty much all good

I'll post a review on there when I get a ways into it no doubt ;-)

Noticed I'm exploring a lot more straight Virginia blends too so I can see a few different VA flakes coming through the post box quite soon
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stick

avatar

Age : 47
Location : 'Blighty'
Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Latest Re-Stock   Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:17 pm

Savin LE wrote:


Noticed I'm exploring a lot more straight Virginia blends too so I can see a few different VA flakes coming through the post box quite soon

Savin,

If you've not found them already have a sniff at Samuel Gawith's Full Virginia Flake and their Best Brown Flake. Both absolute belters. (IMHO of course).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Old Nate
Not Really Old
avatar

Age : 34
Location : Western PA
Registration date : 2014-08-27

PostSubject: Re: Latest Re-Stock   Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:35 pm

Stick wrote:
Savin LE wrote:


Noticed I'm exploring a lot more straight Virginia blends too so I can see a few different VA flakes coming through the post box quite soon

Savin,

If you've not found them already have a sniff at Samuel Gawith's Full Virginia Flake and their Best Brown Flake.  Both absolute belters. (IMHO of course).

Second. And St. James Flake
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stick

avatar

Age : 47
Location : 'Blighty'
Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Latest Re-Stock   Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:39 pm

Old Nate wrote:
Stick wrote:
Savin LE wrote:


Noticed I'm exploring a lot more straight Virginia blends too so I can see a few different VA flakes coming through the post box quite soon

Savin,

If you've not found them already have a sniff at Samuel Gawith's Full Virginia Flake and their Best Brown Flake.  Both absolute belters. (IMHO of course).

Second. And St. James Flake

100% Nate, you know that this is one of my all time favourites! We've espoused the virtues of this blend together in the past I'm sure.

Savin - SJF has a pinch of perique in it too. Absolutely splendid old chap.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Savin LE

avatar

Age : 48
Location : Scottish Borders
Registration date : 2016-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Latest Re-Stock   Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:42 am

Good day gents,
Hope alls well with you
Thanks for the suggestions, I haven't got around to FVF as yet but St James is a favourite for sure!. I have a bowlful of St James Plug sitting in front of me right now infact
Have to say though, while I'm more familiar with the flake, or at least I encountered it before the plug, the plug is very, very, very nice indeed!.....I think I enjoy it more

Best Brown, is sold as an aromatic, I can't remember for the life of me right now but ive had a "Brown" flake before but from Gawith Hoggarth and it was (aromatic), one was topped with vanilla and there's a liquorice one too, is this likely to be the same flake do you think?
GQ have BBF & FVF Offcuts too, i wouldn't know which was which lol

This morning I've been enjoying Demerara Flake and the St J Plug
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Savin LE

avatar

Age : 48
Location : Scottish Borders
Registration date : 2016-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Latest Re-Stock   Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:47 am

Sorry, I'm posting from my phone & can't see an edit option?
just read it back I see I've stated BBF is sold as an aromatic lol
What it's meant to say is a question asking IF it's sold as an aro by GH, sorry bout that
Back to top Go down
View user profile
allyby

avatar

Age : 59
Location : Scotland
Registration date : 2013-01-09

PostSubject: Re: Latest Re-Stock   Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:52 am

Where are you from Savin? I'm just East of Edinburgh in Tranent.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Savin LE

avatar

Age : 48
Location : Scottish Borders
Registration date : 2016-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Latest Re-Stock   Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:57 am

I'm down the A1 past Dunbar from you, between Cockburnspath & Dunbar...nearer Cockburnspath though
Back to top Go down
View user profile
allyby

avatar

Age : 59
Location : Scotland
Registration date : 2013-01-09

PostSubject: Re: Latest Re-Stock   Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:07 am

The Cove?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Savin LE

avatar

Age : 48
Location : Scottish Borders
Registration date : 2016-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Latest Re-Stock   Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:33 am

Almost mate, do you know Dunglass?
Right before the roundabout there's a bridge aye?, I'm on the other side of the bridge from Cove 😉

Beautiful wee spot Cove though, I don't mind a walk down to Cove harbour with the dogs
There's the John Muir walk along the coast to Dunbar as well which is a good stretch
Back to top Go down
View user profile
allyby

avatar

Age : 59
Location : Scotland
Registration date : 2013-01-09

PostSubject: Re: Latest Re-Stock   Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:59 am

Passed your way plenty times before but never been there, it can only be a half hours drive away from me.

I got some Demerara Flake a couple of weeks ago, lovely stuff and you can't go wrong with SG FVF BBF Offcuts.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stick

avatar

Age : 47
Location : 'Blighty'
Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Latest Re-Stock   Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:46 pm

allyby wrote:
Passed your way plenty times before but never been there, it can only be a half hours drive away from me.

I got some Demerara Flake a couple of weeks ago, lovely stuff and you can't go wrong with SG FVF BBF Offcuts.

Yes, great shout Ally.

Savin, check out GQ Tobaccos (eg). The SG FVF BBF Offcuts are exactly as you'd expect. It's the rough bits left over after slicing the flakes, mixed together to form a cheaper version. Although SG sell it buy the tin, you can also buy the BBF loose from GQ also (again, eg).

If you're rather enjoying straight ginnys, I doubt you'll be disappointed with either old chap.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stick

avatar

Age : 47
Location : 'Blighty'
Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Latest Re-Stock   Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:51 pm

Savin LE wrote:

What it's meant to say is a question asking IF it's sold as an aro by GH, sorry bout that

Mm, not sure mate.

GQ are listing a GH Best Brown No2 as a Va and Burley mix with a few toppings. I wonder if that's what you mean? Either way, I have no experience of it...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Savin LE

avatar

Age : 48
Location : Scottish Borders
Registration date : 2016-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Latest Re-Stock   Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:30 pm

allyby wrote:
Passed your way plenty times before but never been there, it can only be a half hours drive away from me.

I got some Demerara Flake a couple of weeks ago, lovely stuff and you can't go wrong with SG FVF BBF Offcuts.

There that's better!, I'm in the house using the laptop now so things look a bit better bounce, miserable weather out, water running down the road etc,

I have to stay I've stayed in worse places, not too far removed from civilisation but far enough away at the same time  Suspect

Aye, the Demerara Flake, I fired up a bowl to smoke while I'm on the computer, just around the half-bowl mark now, think it could've done with longer to dry maybe though?. I shredded a 6" flake & left it a couple of hours but it seems to be burning very hot, is that something you've noticed?

Taste is good though, very good, I'm enjoying it, smoking it in a Fred K Tranter 'Pulteney B' pot bowl with a saddle stem. Not hellish easy to rub out but it's from SG so true to form there




Sorry Stick, what I meant but didn't put down in the clearest way at all was, is it possible Gawith Hoggarth - Brown Flake (aromatic) is the same tobacco as Best Brown Flake?
I have tried GH - Brown Flake (aromatic) and GH - Brown Flake (vanilla) which were both good.....

Samuel Gawith - Brown Sugar Flake is one I'm keen to try also but I don't see it on GQ and SmokingPipes.com have sold out so I'll have to keep my eyes open for it, maybe mysmokingshop.co.uk will have it
Back to top Go down
View user profile
allyby

avatar

Age : 59
Location : Scotland
Registration date : 2013-01-09

PostSubject: Re: Latest Re-Stock   Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:00 pm

SG Demerara Flake has to be treated the same way as FVF, dry it, then dry it a bit more before smoking.

FVF Plug can be smoked in a moist state so less prep to deal with and it's a far better smoke.


BTW for those wondering about Demerara Flake, It's the exact same as they sell in tins in the US but it's called SG Brown Sugar Flake.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Savin LE

avatar

Age : 48
Location : Scottish Borders
Registration date : 2016-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Latest Re-Stock   Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:16 pm

allyby wrote:
SG Demerara Flake has to be treated the same way as FVF, dry it, then dry it a bit more before smoking.

FVF Plug can be smoked in a moist state so less prep to deal with and it's a far better smoke.


BTW for those wondering about Demerara Flake, It's the exact same as they sell in tins in the US but it's called SG Brown Sugar Flake.

Ahah!, I was going to post that I'd found 50g tins of SG Brown Sugar Flake at MySmokingShop but if it's the same stuff then no point in ordering a tin Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

avatar

Age : 64
Location : Near the Emerald city
Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Latest Re-Stock   Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:41 pm

allyby wrote:
SG Demerara Flake has to be treated the same way as FVF, dry it, then dry it a bit more before smoking.

FVF Plug can be smoked in a moist state so less prep to deal with and it's a far better smoke.


BTW for those wondering about Demerara Flake, It's the exact same as they sell in tins in the US but it's called SG Brown Sugar Flake.

t'was wondering about this myself, so thanks for the intel ally!

Smile


Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
Brewdude

avatar

Age : 64
Location : Near the Emerald city
Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Latest Re-Stock   Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:47 pm

Savin LE wrote:
Sorry Stick, what I meant but didn't put down in the clearest way at all was, is it possible Gawith Hoggarth - Brown Flake (aromatic) is the same tobacco as Best Brown Flake?
I have tried GH - Brown Flake (aromatic) and GH - Brown Flake (vanilla) which were both good.....

Savin, my understanding is SG BBF is simply FVF that doesn't get as much time in the press. So no, it wouldn't be the same as GH. BBF is also one of my most favourites from Sammy G's and seems to not be as fussy about prep as FVF, although it still needs drying.

HTH


Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
Savin LE

avatar

Age : 48
Location : Scottish Borders
Registration date : 2016-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Latest Re-Stock   Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:25 pm

Brewdude wrote:

Savin, my understanding is SG BBF is simply FVF that doesn't get as much time in the press. So no, it wouldn't be the same as GH. BBF is also one of my most favourites from Sammy G's and seems to not be as fussy about prep as FVF, although it still needs drying.

HTH


Cheers,

RR

Thanks for that piece of info RR, I'm going to take the plunge this week and order 250g of BBF and 250g of Golden Glow which is meant to be a bit lighter in strength than FVF?

Is FVF quite strong in Vitamin-N is it?

You're talking to someone who gets N Overload from McClelland 2015 Virginia/Perique if I smoke too much too quickly, I love it but it's not one I could smoke all day
Back to top Go down
View user profile
allyby

avatar

Age : 59
Location : Scotland
Registration date : 2013-01-09

PostSubject: Re: Latest Re-Stock   Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:32 pm

If you used to or still do smoke cigarettes you'll like Golden Glow, very light easy to rub out so just pack and smoke, never tried GH BBF so I can't comment on it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

avatar

Age : 64
Location : Near the Emerald city
Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Latest Re-Stock   Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:04 pm

Savin LE wrote:
Thanks for that piece of info RR, I'm going to take the plunge this week and order 250g of BBF and 250g of Golden Glow which is meant to be a bit lighter in strength than FVF?

Is FVF quite strong in Vitamin-N is it?

You're talking to someone who gets N Overload from McClelland 2015 Virginia/Perique if I smoke too much too quickly, I love it but it's not one I could smoke all day

FVF is not a nic bomb in any way, shape, or form to me anyways. And I'm one of those to whom moderate to high amounts of lady-nic ruins their whole day and experience!

I should think you'll be safe in this regard, and as always this needs to be sipped rather slowly to get the best results. I have one pipe dedicated to it, a '13 Boswell estate 'doggy and it seems to perform admirably in this.

My understanding is that Golden Glow is the same as Medium VA flake. Sort of what BBF becomes before it's BBF. So even less time in the press. Pretty mild to my tastes. In fact almost forgettable.

And as always, JMHO. YMMV.


Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
Savin LE

avatar

Age : 48
Location : Scottish Borders
Registration date : 2016-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Latest Re-Stock   Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:00 am

allyby wrote:
If you used to or still do smoke cigarettes you'll like Golden Glow, very light easy to rub out so just pack and smoke, never tried GH BBF so I can't comment on it.

Not sure if I'd like it or not Ally?, when you say that do you mean it's got that filter-tip cigarette taste going on?
I used to smoke roll ups mainly although I wasn't averse to filter tips now & again.

Brewdude wrote:

FVF is not a nic bomb in any way, shape, or form to me anyways. And I'm one of those to whom moderate to high amounts of lady-nic ruins their whole day and experience!

I should think you'll be safe in this regard, and as always this needs to be sipped rather slowly to get the best results. I have one pipe dedicated to it, a '13 Boswell estate 'doggy and it seems to perform admirably in this.

My understanding is that Golden Glow is the same as Medium VA flake. Sort of what BBF becomes before it's BBF. So even less time in the press. Pretty mild to my tastes. In fact almost forgettable.

And as always, JMHO. YMMV.


Cheers,

RR

Think I should probably try a sample of FVF/FVP first before getting it in bulk. It does sound like it'd go down well though from the information you lads have given me about it & what is written online about it etc study
I'll put a couple of oz on my next order from GQ or SP.com & let you guys know how I get on with it Wink

You mentioned Medium Virginia Flake there Brewdude, can anyone tell me where I can pick some up please?, so far I haven't been able to locate it.....knowing my luck I will find it but from somewhere that doesn't ship to the UK No
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

avatar

Age : 64
Location : Near the Emerald city
Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Latest Re-Stock   Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:38 am

Savin LE wrote:
You mentioned Medium Virginia Flake there Brewdude, can anyone tell me where I can pick some up please?, so far I haven't been able to locate it.....knowing my luck I will find it but from somewhere that doesn't ship to the UK No

MVF should be the same as Golden Glow. MVF appears sporadically in bulk form on some of the US stocklists where GG is the tinned version. Right now I don't find MVF on any of the usual sites here in the states.

HTH


Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
 
Latest Re-Stock
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next
 Similar topics
-
» Latest Pix From Eyjafjallajökull
» Latest Madeleine McCann Sighting Is Bogus
» New (latest) suspect is dead - mccannfiles
» Lorraine Kelly's Latest Pro-Gerry & Kate Nonsense
» The Latest From Joana Morais

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: The Tobacco Jar-
Jump to: