HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Savinelli's... filter, adapter, or nothing at all?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Old Nate
Not Really Old

Registration date : 2014-08-27

PostSubject: Savinelli's... filter, adapter, or nothing at all?   Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:24 pm

I have a great Sav Roma 677ks. This pipe doesn't owe me a dime and I've been smoking it for 3 years without a filter, no 6mm blank/adapter and it's been great... for some reason I bought little 6mm adapters and I hate the way it smokes now. Smokes wet, seems to lose the flavor... maybe my mind is playing tricks on me, but I finally gave up and took it out tonight and it delivered a great smoke loaded with some Anniversary Kake...

Just wondering how others smoke their Savinelli pipes?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Savinelli's... filter, adapter, or nothing at all?   Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:42 pm

I don't own any Savinelli 6mm dry system pipes, but I do own a few Vauen 9mm pipes and they smoke great w/o filters or adapters. I am always careful to swab the filter chamber out with a Q-tip afterwards but the open draw is quite delightful.

Poor man's reverse calabash! Hahaha....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Savinelli's... filter, adapter, or nothing at all?   Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:55 pm

My second pipe, a humble Sav 316 rusticated, came with with triangular balsa filters. I tried these for a period of time, and came to the conclusion they weren't necessary.

I've been smoking it quite happily without the filters since '01 or so.

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Savinelli's... filter, adapter, or nothing at all?   Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:08 pm

I've had (and still have) several balsa filter pipes. Every one, to a pipe, has smoked better without the plastic insert. I never got into the balsa filters, mostly because you can't get a pipe cleaner in there should the draught hole get plugged up.

-Yak
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Savinelli's... filter, adapter, or nothing at all?   Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:07 am

I'll add to the chorus. That mini-reverse calabash effect seems real, in the few pipes I have with the filter feature. Not only do they smoke better sans filter or adapter, I am starting to believe they smoke better than a pipe with a regular mortise/tenon construction. I just don't have any problems with them at all. Draw too open? Just tamp the tobacco a little firmer.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SpeedyPete

Registration date : 2011-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Savinelli's... filter, adapter, or nothing at all?   Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:39 am

Richard Burley wrote:
I just don't have any problems with them at all. Draw too open? Just tamp the tobacco a little firmer.

Way to go Very Happy

I have a lot of 6mm and 9mm filter pipes, mostly Savinelli but some others too.  I've never used filters or adators and none of my pipes was hurt, ever.

Last edited by SpeedyPete on Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sid.Stavros

Registration date : 2015-08-05

PostSubject: Re: Savinelli's... filter, adapter, or nothing at all?   Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:21 am

I have some Savinelli pipes, some of them have been smoked in the past with the factory Δ balsa filter and latter by my home made balsa.Some of them from 6mm modified in 9mm. I don't like the plastic adapter of the non-filter smoking.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://pipe-smoke.blogspot.gr/
ftrplt

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Savinelli's... filter, adapter, or nothing at all?   Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:06 pm

No filters!!! Period!! Evil or Very Mad cheers FTRPLT
Back to top Go down
View user profile
oldmansmokingpipe

Registration date : 2016-05-25

PostSubject: Re: Savinelli's... filter, adapter, or nothing at all?   Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:18 pm

Old nate - take the filter out and smoke 3 bowls of Gaslight in it. It will work then.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Old Nate
Not Really Old

PostSubject: Re: Savinelli's... filter, adapter, or nothing at all?   Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:16 pm

Yeah, I don't use the filters either... tried them a while back but no, prefer it without filters and without the little adapter
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fazby

Registration date : 2010-04-22

PostSubject: Re: Savinelli's... filter, adapter, or nothing at all?   Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:33 pm

Normally, no filter and no adapter. However, once in a while the filter will help tame a blend a bit.

I have filters that came with the pipes years ago, and haven't finished even one bundle yet.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KevinM

Registration date : 2012-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Savinelli's... filter, adapter, or nothing at all?   Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:45 pm

I hardly ever use the Sav filter, except occasionally in a cob🙃  I don't see that the spacer adds anything, so I set it aside, too. I've occasionally found the the Sav 6mm spacer is about one silly millimeter too long for the space.  I've found that a bit of tobacco can come out of the bowl, travel up the airway, and get stuck between the balsa filter and the air passage wall. Since the smoker can't reach it with a cleaner, I have to let the pipe cool, disassemble, clean, reassemble and start again. Kinda frustrating for someone who smokes a pipe for its tranquilizing Magic.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Old Nate
Not Really Old

PostSubject: Re: Savinelli's... filter, adapter, or nothing at all?   Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:16 pm

KevinM wrote:
I hardly ever use the Sav filter, except occasionally in a cob🙃  I don't see that the spacer adds anything, so I set it aside, too. I've occasionally found the the Sav 6mm spacer is about one silly millimeter too long for the space.  I've found that a bit of tobacco can come out of the bowl, travel up the airway, and get stuck between the balsa filter and the air passage wall. Since the smoker can't reach it with a cleaner, I have to let the pipe cool, disassemble, clean, reassemble and start again. Kinda frustrating for someone who smokes a pipe for its tranquilizing Magic.

Yes!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bemused

Registration date : 2015-06-08

PostSubject: Re: Savinelli's... filter, adapter, or nothing at all?   Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:02 am

On my filter savs I never use the adaptor. Sometimes I use a filter. Generally can't tell much of a difference but they all smoke well.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Canicus61

Registration date : 2013-10-16

PostSubject: Re: Savinelli's... filter, adapter, or nothing at all?   Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:04 am

I agree with bemused; more often no filter and no adapter - have a few Savs and they are great smokers and a great value....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Puffer Mark

Registration date : 2014-07-14

PostSubject: Re: Savinelli's... filter, adapter, or nothing at all?   Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:24 am

ftrplt wrote:
No filters!!! Period!! Evil or Very Mad cheers FTRPLT

Ditto, although I do use an adapter in my 9mm filters. I find it helps guide a cleaner down into the bowl should the need arise.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Savinelli's... filter, adapter, or nothing at all?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1