HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Peterson blends

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Peterson Irish Oak   Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:52 pm

I just posted this in the "what are you smoking" sub-forum but thought it was worth repeating here-

Yesterday, I opened a tin of Peterson Irish Oak dated to a purchase in '12. Don't remember ever having this before. The tin kept it's vacuum seal and I heard a "whoosh" when I prised it open. Moisture content was very much on the dry side, but I suppose that's the way it was tinned. And the way I like it anyway!

Ribbon cut, almost a shag. Packs easily but needs to be packed loose or it compresses too much. Now on the second bowl, in my Ser Jacopo Per Aspira Cherrywood estate.

The tin description says - " A rich blend of Brazilian and African Virginia leaf with Cavendish and rare Louisiana Perique".

Seems pleasant enough so far, but a completely new flavor profile for me. Hard to describe the flavor components but will ponder this as I get through the next couple bowls and try and post my thoughts later. And it will open up as well now that it's exposed to the air. And yes, I jarred it up immediately as I don't want this to dry out further.

Cheers,

RR

p.s. This purchase was made in conjunction with the Irish Whisky in the OP as well as a tin of PPP, all of the same date. I have yet to open the PPP. That's next. Never had that before either iirc.

As far as Peterson blends go I've also had UF, IF, and OD back around '01 or so. When I was into Lat blends I found the OD pleasant enough. Didn't care for UF at all, found it too fruity. And IF seemed to be all about the nic and low on flavor, also very thin bodied. So those were a non-starter for revisiting.

Yet there is now a new mfg for IF and UF( as well as the others)  since my experience in '01, which may prove different. Or so I've read. I may well go back in and check them out.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Peterson blends   Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:44 pm

Finally got a round tuit and opened up the PPP last week.

Wasn't sure I was going to like this at first, as the initial bowl wasn't very pleasant. Also, not sure I prepped it properly since it's a fairly firm plug and a little moister than I like. All to say that the first bowl was packed too tight and I dumped it halfway after a few trials to get it loosened up.

Now onto the 5th or 6th bowl, and have to say it's growing on me. In fact today I had the best smoke so far out of it. Still a bit moister than I'd like, but found that I need to just gravity fill this with virtually no tamping. Then it burns down with only a few re-lights.

Tried a couple different prep methods -

1. Cutting off thin layers (1/16") with the grain using a very sharp knife, and then rubbing out like a flake.

2. Cutting off as above but then slicing into 1/8" strips with the grain, and finally slicing cubes.

3. Cutting off as above, then slicing a few wide strips and putting them into a whirley grinder and giving it a few spins. This produces more or less rough flakes of 1/8" square x 1/16" thick.

This is the most successful method so far. But one has to be very careful about packing, as anything other than a gravity fill with virtually no tamping will lead to clogging.

In fact today I had the best smoke so far, and it burned all the way down with only a few re-lights.

I also recognize this is a bit moister than I normally like so have yet to dry it down more. Think I'll do that next with the cube cut method and see how that works.

Sorry, can't really provide a thorough taste evaluation yet as I'm still finding my stride with this one. Right now it's kind of a muddle of flavors - on the dark side - if you see what I mean.

To be continued......

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
Cartaphilus

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Peterson blends   Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:10 pm

I have a few aged tins stashed away but, what I did smoke of it (just cut thinly & rubbed) was some might fine tobacco my friend.
I'm sure it won't take longer to get a real hanker'en for it.............But, Shhh! don't tell anyone how good it really is.
Let it be our little secret. Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/

Peterson blends
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2