HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Jim's GLP Renaissance Reserve Review.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
JimInks

Registration date : 2012-08-31

PostSubject: Jim's GLP Renaissance Reserve Review.   Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:42 pm

Having very recently smoked the original Renaissance, whose formula was duplicated for this limited revival, I find few differences between the two. The very smokey, woody Syrian latakia has a light dryness, and is a little more noticeable than the Cyprian, which has a little sweetness along with the smoke and wood. The rich Orientals are woody with some earth, a touch of sour, and a mild to medium spiciness that playfully tingles the tongue. As with the original, the Orientals compete with and compliment the latakias. The red Virginia is tangy, dark fruit sweet and earthy with a bare spice note. It takes a lead over the other Virginias, though the aged version is mildly tangier. The matured Virginias have a gentle fermented stewed dark fruitiness, and vies with the red for attention. Third place in the Virginia line is the gold Virginia which offers light grass and citrus. The nic-hit is mild to medium. The strength is medium, and the taste is just past that. Thereís no chance of bite, and no harsh or dullness to be found. A slow puffing cadence and a wide bowl is recommended to fully capture the complexities of this mixture.

It is just a little more latakia forward than the original, as well as tad less earthy, but thatís because I was smoking an aged 2004 version where the matured sweetness and earth of the Virginias came forward just a tad more, and the latakias had lightly mellowed. The nuance of taste in the Renaissance Reserve is a little more obvious and fresher because aging rounded off a few characteristics of the varietals. However this is very close to that aged product, and the differences are minor. Well balanced, complex, and a little dry in the tin, it burns at a reasonable pace with a very smooth, cool, clean consistent deep flavor. There is a mild creaminess here thatís just a hair more conspicuous than in the original. Requires few relights, and leaves virtually no moisture in the bowl. The smokey, woody, sweet, slightly sour and moderately spicy after taste pleasantly lingers. The campfire room note will linger, too. Itís not quite an all day smoke unless you are an experienced smoker, but is certainly repeatable if you are not.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
oldmansmokingpipe

Registration date : 2016-05-25

PostSubject: Re: Jim's GLP Renaissance Reserve Review.   Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:29 pm

so you smoked the new stuff? Damn....bummed greg did not give me a chnace since he knows i love Latakia more than most people. well wish i could get 4 tins. 1 for now and 3 for future adventures.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Jim's GLP Renaissance Reserve Review.   Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:52 pm

Wait, this is being reissued?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

PostSubject: Re: Jim's GLP Renaissance Reserve Review.   Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:53 pm

Nevermind, front page of his site. Man I have really had my head in the sand.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
oldmansmokingpipe

PostSubject: Re: Jim's GLP Renaissance Reserve Review.   Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:43 pm

as long as it was not up your...

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

PostSubject: Re: Jim's GLP Renaissance Reserve Review.   Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:59 pm

oldmansmokingpipe wrote:
as long as it was not up your...

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

That's for sure.. Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AJ

Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Jim's GLP Renaissance Reserve Review.   Sat Jul 02, 2016 2:15 am

Another great review. Thanks Jim. Smile

AJ
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Old Nate
Not Really Old

Registration date : 2014-08-27

PostSubject: Re: Jim's GLP Renaissance Reserve Review.   Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:00 pm

Sounds like they might have managed to actually match the old renaissance or even improve it!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
oldmansmokingpipe

PostSubject: Re: Jim's GLP Renaissance Reserve Review.   Sat Jul 02, 2016 2:10 pm

i am considering heavily to just say NO - i hate the hype and who knows the price and 200 people scramble for the stuff. †Gaslight is great for my needs. †also feels like wally's world on black friday to me.... †sometimes just not getting sucked in....

Last edited by oldmansmokingpipe on Sun Jul 03, 2016 4:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
oldmansmokingpipe

PostSubject: Re: Jim's GLP Renaissance Reserve Review.   Sat Jul 02, 2016 2:11 pm

oh - yes been pondering my earlier response since i found out about it.....

my 2 cents. and OPINYYYYON!!!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Old Nate
Not Really Old

PostSubject: Re: Jim's GLP Renaissance Reserve Review.   Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:30 pm

Yeah it's gonna go so fast... I'm not even gonna try
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Carlos
Admin

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Jim's GLP Renaissance Reserve Review.   Sun Jul 03, 2016 1:19 pm

Old Nate wrote:

It is probably going to be restricted to low numbers, to get it out among the masses. Cannot hurt to try.

"Never turn your back on a Breen".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JimInks

Registration date : 2012-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Jim's GLP Renaissance Reserve Review.   Sun Jul 03, 2016 4:31 pm

Carlos wrote:
Old Nate wrote:

It is probably going to be restricted to low numbers, to get it out among the masses. †Cannot hurt to try.

Two tins per customer.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Carlos
Admin

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Jim's GLP Renaissance Reserve Review.   Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:34 pm

There is an Add to Cart button active on this item right now on Smoking Pipes.

"Never turn your back on a Breen".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
oldmansmokingpipe

PostSubject: Re: Jim's GLP Renaissance Reserve Review.   Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:10 pm

sold out already in less than an hr. same with 4 noggins - less than an hr.

wasn't planning on getting any - and 4 noggins was more expensive - but happened to be there at the right time and got 4 tins. that is it for me even if 20 more were available.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
oldmansmokingpipe

PostSubject: Re: Jim's GLP Renaissance Reserve Review.   Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:12 pm

oh - to my knowledge P & C has not released it ye so that may be a place to try sometime today.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

PostSubject: Re: Jim's GLP Renaissance Reserve Review.   Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:19 pm

I was lucky enough to be able to grab a couple. Look forward to trying this. Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Jim's GLP Renaissance Reserve Review.   Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:37 pm

Nope, crap.... Missed this one for sure....... By the time I got the cast on the baby llama it was gone. As many of my female friends would say.................

Whatever

(sigh)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Old Nate
Not Really Old

PostSubject: Re: Jim's GLP Renaissance Reserve Review.   Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:50 pm

I missed out on this one too... oh, we'll. I did want to try it... but, hell, I want to try everything!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
oldmansmokingpipe

PostSubject: Re: Jim's GLP Renaissance Reserve Review.   Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:12 pm

pm 's to wiz and nate
Back to top Go down
View user profile
joshoowah

Registration date : 2011-09-24

PostSubject: Re: Jim's GLP Renaissance Reserve Review.   Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:21 pm

The craziness of the "hoard" and what not kept me from snagging a tin.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Jim's GLP Renaissance Reserve Review.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1