HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Anyone cut their own hair?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
AJ

Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Anyone cut their own hair?   Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:53 am

Rande, my wife has been a beautician for almost 50 years and she has a lot of male clients that go to her for haircuts. The only clipper she will use is a Wahl. The one she is using now is almost 30 years old and the model she uses is still available and it cost about $60.00. Smile

AJ

PS: You can pick one up at any Sally's Beauty Supply. It's a national chain that sells beauty supplies and equipment to professionals and to the public.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Anyone cut their own hair?   Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:48 pm

OK, so got in the Wahl Chrome clippers and tried it out for the first time today. Have to report it turned out pretty good for an inaugural effort.

Started out with the #4 attachment (what I've been getting at the barber) and gaining confidence I went for the #2. Kind of clumsy the first time, but it went just fine for a first attempt.

The hardest part was the back while using a hand mirror. And being as I only have one working eye it was a challenge. But I got 'er done!

Took a bit too much off around the ears and used my beard trimmer for that. But my specs hide that.

Very impressed with the Wahl so far. I'll gain more confidence going forward.

Thanks for the recommendation Stick. Got in that exact model, and it should serve me well and save me $$ going forward!

Cool

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
Old Nate
Not Really Old

Registration date : 2014-08-27

PostSubject: Re: Anyone cut their own hair?   Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:34 am

Sounds like you're off and running, Rande! You'll get better and better, too. Sure you might have a stinker here and there, but when all is said and done money saved! And once in a while you'll really impress yourself Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Anyone cut their own hair?   Sun Sep 04, 2016 4:25 pm

I used to when I had hair !! lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stick

Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Anyone cut their own hair?   Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:40 pm

Well done Rande!

As Nate said, it'll get easier. I do the back purely by feel and then use two mirrors to check my handiwork. It's hard to describe but I if I'm holding the clippers in my right hand I'll keep my ring finger just in front of the guard and use this to feel if the clippers are flat against my swede. I do multiple passes in the same area before moving across, a bit like a buffing motion. It also helps to know which way your hair grows too as the clippers will be more effective against the grain.

Stick at it mate and well done for taking the plunge - first time's a bit nervy eh?!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: Anyone cut their own hair?   Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:31 pm

Stick wrote:
Well done Rande!

As Nate said, it'll get easier.  I do the back purely by feel and then use two mirrors to check my handiwork.  It's hard to describe but I if I'm holding the clippers in my right hand I'll keep my ring finger just in front of the guard and use this to feel if the clippers are flat against my swede.  I do multiple passes in the same area before moving across, a bit like a buffing motion.  It also helps to know which way your hair grows too as the clippers will be more effective against the grain.

Stick at it mate and well done for taking the plunge - first time's a bit nervy eh?!

Aye mate, first time is indeed a bit nervy! (Actually had the clippers for several weeks before I worked up the bottle to do it). Read the instructions several times (such as they are), and decided on my own course of action - trial by error!...Ha!

Yet I got the drill down sufficiently pretty much right away. It was just the back side which required a hand mirror whilst looking in the wall mirror with one good eye that gave me aggro!

Anyroad, it gave me confidence and I'll go from here. Had a brief final detaling today and it looks rather presentable. Don't reckon it'll elicit any shrieks of horror from women and children tomorrow , but we'll see won't we!

Wink

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: Anyone cut their own hair?   Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:10 am

Just did a second trim up with the Wahl and it only took like 5 min of actual cutting to get it back into shape. Looks like it gets easier every time, and I'm quite pleased with the results. Really glad I went this route.

The barber I used to visit regularly was quite the attractive young lady and very friendly, but she talked incessantly. I nicknamed her "Chatty Cathy". She was good and I got a senior discount, but her hours were very erratic and you never knew when her shop would be open, despite the hours being plainly posted. So that, along with her mouth made me first consider this lark.

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
Stick

PostSubject: Re: Anyone cut their own hair?   Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:33 am

Brewdude wrote:
Just did a second trim up with the Wahl and it only took like 5 min of actual cutting to get it back into shape. Looks like it gets easier every time, and I'm quite pleased with the results. Really glad I went this route.

The barber I used to visit regularly was quite the attractive young lady and very friendly, but she talked incessantly. I nicknamed her "Chatty Cathy". She was good and I got a senior discount, but her hours were very erratic and you never knew when her shop would be open, despite the hours being plainly posted. So that, along with her mouth made me first consider this lark.

Cheers,

RR

Funny you should mention this Rande!

I was taking mine 'down to the wood' with a grade 1 yesterday and as I was chipping away the thought occurred to me that you must be due your second attempt. Well done mate, it does get easier! (I reckon you'll miss Cathy in the long run though!) Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Anyone cut their own hair?   Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:01 pm

Ya know it just occurred to me that the Lord gave us hair for a reason and to lop it off as Delila to Samsom seems to me to be contradictory to the whole thing. If your nose got in your way, would you lop it off too?
Just saying, and not trying to condemn anyone for what they wish to do with what belongs to them.
I was just thinking out loud shall we say. Wink
Oh! and yes I cut my nails.......sometimes. Most the time they wear away or get sanded away.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
Behike54

Registration date : 2011-12-25

PostSubject: Re: Anyone cut their own hair?   Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:17 pm

Yeah.......

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: Anyone cut their own hair?   Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:49 pm

I doan tek yer meaning laddie!

Question

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
riff raff

Registration date : 2011-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Anyone cut their own hair?   Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:00 am

The wife and I were just arguing about this very same topic! Because of a Wahl commercial on TV that shows firemen cutting their own hair with Wahl clippers.

I'm mostly bald, with some hair on the sides and a little on top. In the past five years, I've been letting her cut it with a #3 (winter) or a #2 (summer) guard. She never wants to cut it "it's already too short". I argue it's not short enough. This happens on every cut (about every 3 weeks.

So...watching the commercial today, I said, I should cut my own hair like those guys. Now every guy in that commercial had a good head of hair, if I had their hair, I'd look like Jesus. She said they can't cut it right around their ears.

We do have a Wahl set (and one for the dogs - she did them as well).

Over the years, I've had two humorous hair stories. 18 years ago, when I moved to our town, I had a good head of hair and went to the barber. Out tiny little town had a barber named Carl. I walked in, there were 6-7 guys waiting. Everyone was talking about the bass fishing on the Potomac. Hair cuts then were $2.50 from Carl. In hindsight, no one was talking about how they wanted their hair cut. My turn came, I started describing what I wanted, length, block, etc. Carl stopped me and said "Son, do you want it short" That's what we do here, short". I said "yes sir" and he cut it all of with a #2. When I got home, the wife gave me hell, what happened to your hair etc. Carl retired a few years later and I bounced around to a few other shops, but there was no one like old-school Carl.

Five years ago, I told the wife that she can cut both of our dogs hair, she can surely do mine and save the then $10/cut and time/trip. On the first go around, she went "oh-oh" and apparently had a slip up. I remember saying "how bad can it be?". She said bad. One of my daughters came home a short time later and said "what the hell happened to your head". I told her the her mother slipped up. She said you better get to a barber. I popped over to a shop I'd been to occasionally and the barber said "I charge more for fixing screw-ups". She did get better with no more mishaps (and now, at #2, how bad can it get, right)?

Here's what she is working with, I'm the well-fed guy on the right.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stick

PostSubject: Re: Anyone cut their own hair?   Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:02 am

Great stories Al and sharp hair cut! In fact, it's so sharp you could set your watch by it. The little chap on the left might want to let his grow a little though...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stick

PostSubject: Re: Anyone cut their own hair?   Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:11 am

Al's stories reminds of one that my colleague told me many years ago. We were working at an outdoor centre in the depths of Wales and he used to drive home every other weekend to England to see his family. On this particular Friday evening he decided to stop to get his hair cut. After several villages, he finally found one with an old fashioned barber. Pete, my friend, sat in the chair and the barber asked in broken English what he'd like. Pete told him he was undecided between a grade 2 or a grade 4. The barber, so the story goes, stroked his chin for a moment before demonstrating, 'Well this is a grade 4...' and ran the clippers over his head, '...and this is a grade 2', and again ran the clippers over Pete's head.

'I guess I'll be having the 2 then', replied Pete.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
riff raff

Registration date : 2011-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Anyone cut their own hair?   Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:43 am

It's all about communication!

The skinny chap was at my doctors office, in for for my annual checkup and the doc was running late, I got bored...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: Anyone cut their own hair?   Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:48 pm

Great story and pics Al. Thanks for sharing! Also for the jolly story from our Brit bro Stick.

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: Anyone cut their own hair?   Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:54 pm

3rd trim up went very well this past weekend. Think I finally might be onto a technique that seems to work as expected. No odd areas that needed touch-ups this time. Quite satisfied with the results.

So it seems that every 3 weeks or so is necessary to maintain a #2 cut properly. I can deal with that.

The down side is that my noggin gets cold much easier and I've taken to wearing a skull cap at home now that we're into the cooler period of the season. Small price to pay I reckon.

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
Stick

PostSubject: Re: Anyone cut their own hair?   Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:11 am

Well done Rande, 3 in and you're in the swing of it. Good going.

I think I'll treat myself to a little 'polish' this weekend too.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: Anyone cut their own hair?   Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:28 pm

So, happy to report the regular trims are going great. Now have the technique down such that I can do it in 10 min or so.

I've been doing a #2 so far, but will be going down to a #1 this weekend. Why you may ask? Just 'cause I can, and the stupid area on the top of my noggin seems to grow wilder than a March hare anyways. So that part always looks spiky. Best to reign that in.

Also will be looking at using the clippers on my goatee, as it's getting a bit longer than I'd like. Never tried this before, and using scissors and a hand mirror isn't producing the results. So will start with something like a #5 and go from there.

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
Stick

PostSubject: Re: Anyone cut their own hair?   Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:25 am

Nicely done Rande. I'm a grade 1 all over, 'down to the wood', and then I remove the guard and taper in up the back and sides. Easy to do with a steady rolling action on the clipper's heel.

Good luck with the goatee... Shouldn't imagine it's any different to your sweed?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: Anyone cut their own hair?   Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:18 pm

The deed is done, and I'm happy with the results. Haven't had my hair this short since I were a wee lad when my Pap would give me a "crew cut" every month or so. Can now see the scalp plainly and yes it's going to be chilly! But hey, summer is coming any day now! Very Happy

Also used the #4 on the old goat and it's back to being manageable. Good to know I can run the clippers over it every so often and get it tamed. I'm getting so that I like less maintenance the older I get. Wink

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down

Anyone cut their own hair?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2