HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Got out to get some excercse this AM

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Got out to get some excercse this AM   Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:17 pm

Doc and my PT told me I need to get out a bit every other day for some exercise so I goy out my old trusty Raliegh Tourister roadster bicycle and did a short 5 mike ride. It's a nice long easy riding comfortable bike and I bought it back in the late 70s and used it for many years as my comuting bike for a 10 mile one way daily commute to work.
Hears a pic of it for those not familiar with a "roadster" style of bike.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Puff Daddy

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Got out to get some excercse this AM   Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:08 am

5 miles? Careful, easy does it there champ.....

oldmansmokingpipe

Registration date : 2016-05-25

PostSubject: Re: Got out to get some excercse this AM   Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:36 am

I had a black one just like that and i rode thousands of miles on that thing. then I got a newer model - both were great bikes. Glad you are moving forward.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Got out to get some excercse this AM   Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:34 am

That's great! I'm delighted your embracing the new lifestyle, too. My brother in law had a liver transplant a couple of months ag and is doing the same. Biking, hiking, better diet, etc. Just go slow and work up to the longer rides.

-Yak
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Carlos
Admin

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Got out to get some excercse this AM   Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:42 am

Yeah. Ease into it. They kept me around the house on light duty for a month. Then they were kicking me in the backside to get to rehabilitation therapy for 12 weeks.

"Never turn your back on a Breen".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ftrplt

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Got out to get some excercse this AM   Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:00 am

5 miles!!! Good for you!! cheers FTRPLT
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AJ

Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Got out to get some excercse this AM   Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:17 pm

cheers  cheers HURRAY! cheers cheers I think this is a good indication that Michael is definitely on the road to recovery. Atta Boy Michael! Stick with it! Smile

AJ
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KevinM

Registration date : 2012-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Got out to get some excercse this AM   Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:01 pm

Attaboy! And that is one cool bike. Is that a bell I spy bolted on the handlebars?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

PostSubject: Re: Got out to get some excercse this AM   Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:56 pm

Sure is !! And it has a nice ding-ding to it which can be heard quite well !! Gets folks attention without pissing them off !! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil That upright laid back , long frame provides a nice smooth, comfortable ride !! And the sprung, leather saddle adds to the comfort.  Not something to sprint across the finish line but for city riding a much more practical bike! To bad Raliegh does not make it anymore. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil  Any of you guys ride bikes and if so let's see some pics of 'em! Her's another pic I took before I got the bell and luggage rack !!

Last edited by monbla256 on Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
oldmansmokingpipe

PostSubject: Re: Got out to get some excercse this AM   Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:16 pm

ya that hard leather seat took a bit of getting used to...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Got out to get some excercse this AM   Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:33 pm

Great to see you're getting some exercise Michael. And that you seem to be recovering from your invasive procedure. May you continue to improve as your health allows.

Smile

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
Hiram-2011

Registration date : 2012-03-23

PostSubject: Re: Got out to get some excercse this AM   Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:24 am

Glad to see you getting out and about Michael. Great exercise for you too!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fr_Tom

Registration date : 2013-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Got out to get some excercse this AM   Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:48 pm

oldmansmokingpipe wrote:
ya that hard leather seat took a bit of getting used to...

That would be a premium Brooks saddle.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/user/14371
Stick

Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Got out to get some excercse this AM   Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:25 pm

Great to see you back in the saddle Michael, ahem.

Cracking bike mate. Long story but I acquired a very similar model last year; a Raleigh Superb. It looks almost identical to yours, though without the Brooks saddle. A nice easy ride to the shops but wouldn't want to go too far on it. 5 miles sounds fair though. If you keep your beret on and drape a load of onions over the bars you'll certainly look the part! Mais oui!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Got out to get some excercse this AM   Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:39 pm

Stick wrote:
Great to see you back in the saddle Michael, ahem.

Cracking bike mate.  Long story but I acquired a very similar model last year; a Raleigh Superb.  It looks almost identical to yours, though without the Brooks saddle.  A nice easy ride to the shops but wouldn't want to go too far on it.  5 miles sounds fair though.  If you keep your beret on and drape a load of onions over the bars you'll certainly look the part!  Mais oui!

I was thinking a satchel of bagettes, but onions work as well......
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
monbla256

PostSubject: Re: Got out to get some excercse this AM   Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:11 pm

I'd strap the baguettes to the luggage rack ! There's a bakery a coiple of mile from my house which is run by a man from Lyon who makes REAL baguettes with a crisp crust and nice tasty insides, not tasteless white flour things that have a rubber crust and are made and sold at all the market bakerys around here !! Might have to make his bakery a spot to go to Friday for my exercise ride!!  Twisted Evil  Twisted Evil

I went to that bakery this am for my ride and came home  with three baguettes strapped to the luggage rack , Felt very French for sure and will definately this winter when I wear my beret !! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Last edited by monbla256 on Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:30 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

PostSubject: Re: Got out to get some excercse this AM   Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:15 pm

That's the spirit!!!

EXCELLENT!!!!! cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
oldmansmokingpipe

PostSubject: Re: Got out to get some excercse this AM   Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:17 pm

yes that and a small bottle of red wine would be great - sorry - had to tempt you.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

PostSubject: Re: Got out to get some excercse this AM   Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:31 pm

When I raced Bicycles back in '68-'70 my ride was an ATALA Record Professional 101 . Columbas DB tubing, Nervex lugs/ and all Campangolo Nuevo Record headset, bottom bracket, hubs, chain rings, deraileur. drop outs with a Cellini Record stem and bars and Universal brakes and a B17 Brooks saddle. It also had Mavic rims with Clement sew ups. I finally found a pic of one in the Yellow/Green color mine was (.Mine did not have the French iDEALE saddle as this one has, I also put Campy bar end shifters on mine. )) Was a fast. light and VERY responsive bike !! I think I paid around $350.00 1969 dollars for it at the time and sold it to another rider for what I paid for it in '76 . Don't know if they are still in business but they made a nice bike for sure !! Here's the pic I found:

It was a FAR different riding bike than my Raleigh Tourist by far !! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

PostSubject: Re: Got out to get some excercse this AM   Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:11 pm

So there are NO other bike riders here? Thought I'd get lots of pics of the rides folks use but from the dirth of responses I gues no one else rides a bicycle here. To bad as it is an enjoyable pastime. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

PostSubject: Re: Got out to get some excercse this AM   Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:26 pm

I had an old Raleigh 3 speed when I was a kid. Gave it up when I got my motorcycle endorsement at 15/16. I think one of my grandkids still rides it though. As I recall it was red when I got it new... I'm not sure, that was a while ago.......
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Got out to get some excercse this AM   Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:47 pm

I had a Schwinn 3-speed as a kid, which was a step up from the Huffy fat tire 1-speed I originally inherited from my older cousin. That Huffy was a bitch though, and due to the lack of low gear made it impossible to navigate the hills.

Rode the Schwinn from about age 10-16 until I got my drivers license. 10-speeds had now come into being then in the mid 60's, but wasn't interested. All I wanted was 4 wheels and a motor!

Kept the Schwinn 3-speed, and used it briefly in the early '70s when I was living in my first apt and just needed a joy ride now and then. And some years later, I acquired a 10-speed from my Pap who had gotten it as a promotional item. It was a racer and I found the riding position uncomfortable, so got rid of it in due course.

Never have had a bike since. Don't care for the uncomfortable feeling on that small seat. Those of you who can tolerate it, more power to ya!

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Got out to get some excercse this AM   Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:57 pm

My brother is 65 and rides his ass off. Does that count?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

PostSubject: Re: Got out to get some excercse this AM   Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:31 pm

oops Twisted Evil

Last edited by monbla256 on Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

PostSubject: Re: Got out to get some excercse this AM   Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:32 pm

I went to that bakery this am for my ride and came home  with three baguettes strapped to the luggage rack , Felt very French for sure and will definately this winter when I wear my beret !! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Got out to get some excercse this AM
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: The Round Table-
Jump to: