HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Publicity Disrupting Browsing on BoB

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Stick

Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Publicity Disrupting Browsing on BoB   Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:25 pm

....hang on....

ed6.yournewiphone.net
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Publicity Disrupting Browsing on BoB   Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:35 pm

It did happen recently for me as well, on my mobile. Coincidentally, I own a Samsung Android (like Stick) but a 4.
Can't remember the site, but I think that often, it was a page opening and warning that my mobile was infested with a legion of viruses; to call this number to get it fixed. The only way I could get rid of the bugger was to close the window altogether.
Incidentally, I have Norton on my mobile. So viruses... my ar$e.
Back to top Go down
LL

Registration date : 2007-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Publicity Disrupting Browsing on BoB   Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:09 pm

Yeah, some sort of low-ish level malware keeps getting past the phpBB people.

Every third or fourth visit I get a browser hijack attempt. It's why I stopped checking in very often.

It looks like BoB is harboring several opportunistic programs that detect your access method and react accordingly.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Carlos
Admin

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Publicity Disrupting Browsing on BoB   Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:24 pm

It is one of the ad partners for Forumotion. Even though we have no ads when logged in, they detect certain devices and re-direct that device. We have to complain to the management and they have to track down which ad partner it is and then solve it.

They probably are not happy with me. I indicated that one of their ad partners probably needed to boost their hits, and therefore their revenue. So they turn those loose on purpose. Laughing

So you guys get them, tell me the device, your OS, your browser. And if possible, the web address of the re-directs you see and I will pass that on. I had suggested that they turn off their ad partners completely. That did not seem to fly. Guess they are addicted to the revenue stream.

"Never turn your back on a Breen".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vito

PostSubject: Re: Publicity Disrupting Browsing on BoB   Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:31 am

Carlos:

FWIW, I haven't had any problems with redirects...ever. I'm currently running OS X 10.10.5 on a MacPro 6.1, and I always use the SeaMonkey browser. I also use the NoScript plugin, which makes it somewhere between difficult and impossible for dickweeds to run scripts (cross-site redirect scripts, or otherwise) without my approval. So I'm prolly not representative of most users.

I recommend NoScript, although I suspect that many folks don't have the patience to learn how to use it, and to teach it what to do. That takes some time, which isn't compatible with instant gratification.

Anyhow, it sure saves me a bunch of headaches. It has been worth a little self-education to not have to deal with the chaos that was happening before I started using it.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.vitotuxedo.com/VitoSpace/Home/=index.html
Carlos
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Publicity Disrupting Browsing on BoB   Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:38 am

I never, ever see these either. I have to go out of my way and try to surf on the iPhone to see them. Again, it is device specific. Which of course makes people think that a user has become infected. When that is not actually the case now. Somehow these scumbag advertisers make money on these crap ads. Of course, I personally think all advertisers are scumbags and all ads crap. So it is hard for me to tell them apart. sunny

Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrT999

Registration date : 2011-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Publicity Disrupting Browsing on BoB   Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:09 pm

Poop

aptitude.autoupdatessoft4eversafe.website

using edge on my laptop
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999
Cartaphilus

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Publicity Disrupting Browsing on BoB   Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:18 pm

Not getting malware, ads, etc. but, my post and PM notifications have gone by the way side.
I don't get half of them anymore and NO there not in my Spam folder. I get all notifications
from other sites, just not here anymore. And everything is as it was in my Profile settings 5 years ago.
So if in case I fail to respond to a PM or a thread please email me (in hopes that works).
Anyone else getting this problem or is it just I as usual. Suspect
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Publicity Disrupting Browsing on BoB   Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:18 pm

I just figured nobody wanted to talk. Nope. I have received no notifications about BoB in my emails either. Thought maybe I pushed a 'do not notify me' button at some point.....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Carlos
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Publicity Disrupting Browsing on BoB   Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:35 pm

I got one early and nothing since. Got to be the management fooling around. Maybe improving something.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stick

PostSubject: Re: Publicity Disrupting Browsing on BoB   Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:01 am

...All quiet on the western front... touch wood.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

PostSubject: Re: Publicity Disrupting Browsing on BoB   Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:05 pm

This is how the ad banner is coming up for me. Sorry for the cell phone pics...

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stick

PostSubject: Re: Publicity Disrupting Browsing on BoB   Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:38 pm

Yeeeewwwwwww, we don't need that! I think I'd give the Marines a miss at this juncture in my life too. Hope the work Carlos is doing on our behalf sorts that for you Wiz.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

PostSubject: Re: Publicity Disrupting Browsing on BoB   Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:50 pm

SHUT UP AND DO YOUR PATRIOTIC DUTY , JOIN THE UNITED STATES MARINE CORPS YOU BUNCH OF PANTY WAISTED .. wait I can't complete that in 2016. It's not politically correct.

Ozark Wizard

PostSubject: Re: Publicity Disrupting Browsing on BoB   Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:26 pm

I did my Schtick for King and Country, thanks. De Oppresso Liber!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
leacha

Registration date : 2014-01-08

PostSubject: Re: Publicity Disrupting Browsing on BoB   Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:21 am

http://promadvs.com/good.php?c=giftcard.en&p=c0efd5c18d4f06d674233002983368fb&subid=E29203405211475421289181837&t=1475421289

Hijack site for me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stick

PostSubject: Re: Publicity Disrupting Browsing on BoB   Sun Oct 02, 2016 12:40 pm

Ozark Wizard wrote:
I did my Schtick for King and Country, thanks. De Oppresso Liber!

Amen brother.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Publicity Disrupting Browsing on BoB   Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:21 pm

I'm still not getting notifications of threads I'm watching. Hope they get what ever there do'en sorted out soon.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/

PostSubject: Re: Publicity Disrupting Browsing on BoB   Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:41 am

Well, this is the third High Threat Level Highjack attempt I get on my computer over the last 2 weeks when I try to log on this forum. Shocked A notification for an Adobe or something similar required update hides the forum's page. One of these mornings, I will be still asleep and fall in for the trap.
I am sorry to say that, but I will have to steer clear from BoB for a while, in the hope something gets done. I know this is not the Admin Team's fault, but the reality is that this is the only forum I frequent that experiences such issues.
In the meanwhile, I am going to sorely miss you, chaps.
Back to top Go down
Carlos
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Publicity Disrupting Browsing on BoB   Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:20 pm

This issue should be taken care of. I would think immediately. But it is possible that servers need to update overnight. So certainly by tomorrow at this time. If anyone experiences the redirect problem after that, please let me know the info I have asked for previously so I can pass it on.

I cannot stress the need for the info enough. These admins of Forumotion are overseas. They are not easy to talk to.

We think the problem may have been that we thought we had NO ADS for members that were logged in to the board. That was not quite the case. But our founder came in and took care of that problem for us. For the moment.

Can you imagine, you guys that saw these redirects. The quality of advertising. I have always maintained that Internet advertising is like an assault upon our person and intelligence. It certainly is confirmed in this case. CRAP ads!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
jhuggett
BoB's Pioneer & Founding Father

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Publicity Disrupting Browsing on BoB   Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:10 pm

Sorry about the issues guys and gals. When I first started BoB they didn't have ads, then they started with text ads, then they started the damn invasive flash ads. At that point I started paying to have the ads removed because they were an issue even then. Well as time went by, I always use an ad blocker so I never see them and I really haven't been involved in the operation in the board at all for a while so I totally forgot about the issue. I'll try to keep up on things better.

I also want to point out that no one on Bob makes any money. I originally set it up the way I did because I wasn't sure it was going to really take off being I was new to the pipe scene. So the hosting is free, with the exception of the domain name and paying for ad removal. Any money generated from the advertising goes to the hosting provider, not anyone here.

Thanks for your patience in this and I'm sorry for the inconvenience.

"Freedom, Security, Convenience: Choose Two"
"For me, I will take freedom over security and I will take security over convenience." ~ Dan Geer
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.brothersofbriar.com
puros_bran
Nightrider

PostSubject: Re: Publicity Disrupting Browsing on BoB   Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:24 pm

J you went from ugly to butt ugly.. Did you get married and let yourself go or what? Laughing Laughing Laughing

jhuggett

PostSubject: Re: Publicity Disrupting Browsing on BoB   Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:31 pm

Just recently single again unfortunately. Probably will be staying that way now. Sad

Good to see you too! Razz

"For me, I will take freedom over security and I will take security over convenience." ~ Dan Geer
Back to top Go down
puros_bran
Nightrider

PostSubject: Re: Publicity Disrupting Browsing on BoB   Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:02 pm

You said that last time too..

jhuggett

PostSubject: Re: Publicity Disrupting Browsing on BoB   Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:20 pm

I have a two year limit on women, or they do on me I should say. LOL

Back to top Go down

Publicity Disrupting Browsing on BoB
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next