HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 
 

 8oz tins versus bulk

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
TheLowlyApprentice

avatar

Age : 70
Location : Memphis, Tn.
Registration date : 2016-02-14

PostSubject: 8oz tins versus bulk   Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:53 pm

P&C offers a number of their blends in both 8oz. tins as well as bulk (e.g. Ambassador's Blend)

Interestingly, the per ounce price of the tins is cheaper than the bulk price.

Two 8oz tins of Ambassador's Blend runs about $36 versus $41.60 for a pound of the bulk.

Is there any reason why one wouldn't buy the tins versus bulk?

Will the tins hold up for aging? Is there any hidden reason why one would be better off buying bulk versus the tins?

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Many thanks,

TLA
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JimInks

avatar

Location : North Carolina
Registration date : 2012-08-31

PostSubject: Re: 8oz tins versus bulk   Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:42 am

TheLowlyApprentice wrote:
P&C offers a number of their blends in both 8oz. tins as well as bulk (e.g. Ambassador's Blend)

Interestingly, the per ounce price of the tins is cheaper than the bulk price.

Two 8oz tins of Ambassador's Blend runs about $36 versus $41.60 for a pound of the bulk.

Is there any reason why one wouldn't buy the tins versus bulk?

Will the tins hold up for aging? Is there any hidden reason why one would be better off buying bulk versus the tins?

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Many thanks,

TLA

The only explanation I have for price difference is that they may be factoring in employee time spent on processing bulk blend orders. That's just a guess though. At one time, the tins were more expensive than they are now, and maybe they just haven't bothered adjusting the bulk prices much since they decreased the tin prices?

As for how the tins hold up, I've recently opened up three of them from the summer of 2012 and they've held up fine. The tobaccos are still moist and fresh, though aged, of course.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Old Nate
Not Really Old
avatar

Age : 34
Location : Western PA
Registration date : 2014-08-27

PostSubject: Re: 8oz tins versus bulk   Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:52 am

Jim, could it be that you're paying extra for the option to smoke some now and jar up the rest for aging and what not... with the 8oz tins you have to crack that seal if you want to do that... I don't know, I've often wondered about this as well. Last I checked I couldn't get Anniversary Kake in an 8oz tin.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JimInks

avatar

Location : North Carolina
Registration date : 2012-08-31

PostSubject: Re: 8oz tins versus bulk   Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:53 pm

Old Nate wrote:
Jim, could it be that you're paying extra for the option to smoke some now and jar up the rest for aging and what not... with the 8oz tins you have to crack that seal if you want to do that... I don't know, I've often wondered about this as well. Last I checked I couldn't get Anniversary Kake in an 8oz tin.

I have no idea what "... could it be that you're paying extra for the option to smoke some now and jar up the rest for aging and what not.."  means. P&C wouldn't have that in mind In most every case I've ever seen, bulk was a cheaper option than tinned.

If you can't find H&H blends in 8 oz tins because they were discontinued over a year ago. Any retailer who has any has old stock.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
MisterE
Moderator
avatar

Location : Mexico City
Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: 8oz tins versus bulk   Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:37 pm

JimInks wrote:


If you can't find H&H blends in 8 oz tins because they were discontinued over a year ago. Any retailer who has any has old stock.

This might be why. It doesnt make any real sense because bulk is almost always cheaper than tins. Aside from a simple mistake in pricing, it could be because they're not available anymore. Just thinking out loud...

_________________
Many of the greatest pleasures in life are illegal, immoral, or smelly.

-Yak
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JimInks

avatar

Location : North Carolina
Registration date : 2012-08-31

PostSubject: Re: 8oz tins versus bulk   Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:42 pm

MisterE wrote:
JimInks wrote:


If you can't find H&H blends in 8 oz tins because they were discontinued over a year ago. Any retailer who has any has old stock.

This might be why. It doesnt make any real sense because bulk is almost always cheaper than tins. Aside from a simple mistake in pricing, it could be because they're not available anymore. Just thinking out loud...

Not quite. In 2012 P&C was selling the bulk for $35.95 a pound and the eight ounce tins sold for $25.95. They had a special that year and dropped the price to $17.95, and the bulk per pound price was $36.95. The next year, both became the regular price. In 2014, they reduced the price to $14.95 for an eight ounce tin, which lasted much of the year, and I think the bulk price stayed the same. In 2015, they went back to $17.99 and the bulk price per pound was, as now, $41.60
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
TheLowlyApprentice

avatar

Age : 70
Location : Memphis, Tn.
Registration date : 2016-02-14

PostSubject: 8oz tins versus bulk   Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:10 pm

I just checked H&H and they show the following blends from the Signature Series as still being available in 8oz tins at $17.99 each:

Ambassador's Blend
Distinguished Penguin
Frenchy's Sunzabitches
House of Lords
Larry's Blend
LJ Heart Virginia
Mt. Marcy
Namaste
Old Companion
Old Tartan
Virginia Spice


T.L.A.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
 
8oz tins versus bulk
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» Guide to British-made Aluminum Mess Tins (1936-1940)
» Question about Canadian WWII Mess Tins...
» Biodegradable BM storage bags!!!
» WW1 Canadian mess tin
» Bourgeois vs. Proletarian culture

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: The Tobacco Jar-
Jump to: