HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

A VaBurPer Or VaPerBur?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
AJ

Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: A VaBurPer Or VaPerBur?   Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:47 pm

I like to play around with my tobacco and I'm always mixing different blends and components together to see what I can come up with. It's no secret that I smoke a good bit of Half & Half during the week. Half & Half, for those that may have forgotten, is made up of 50% Burley and 50% Bright or Va. tobacco.  I mixed a few ounces of C&D's granulated Perique with some Half & Half last night. The ratio was about 60\40 with Half & Half being the 60%. Man is it good! It makes a sweeter smoke that  has spiciness like Dentyne Chewing Gum feels in your mouth. No there's no cinnamon taste. It burns slower and cooler. For some reason it seems to be a very mellow smoke but the nicotine is a bit stronger. I can still taste the nutty sweetness of the Burley and the raisin/plum of the Perique really shines. Even the hay like sweetness of the Va.'s still comes through along with a hint of the cherry topping. There's more complexity and depth of flavor. Smooth, flavorful, and mellow with enough strength to satisfy. It burns all the way to the bottom of the bowl leaving only a gray ash with no moisture or dottle and it doesn't bite no matter how hard it's pushed. I'm going to mix up about 8 oz. of this to smoke over the next week or so. Half and Half isn't appreciated by a lot of people but I like it and adding a bit of Perique makes it even better. Who would have guessed?  Smile

AJ
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: A VaBurPer Or VaPerBur?   Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:16 pm

You know, of course, that you may be insane? Just kidding. H & H was the ubiquitous tobacco of many moons ago, when I was a wee lad. They even had a pipe tobacco cigarette made with the stuff. Smelled just like a pipe, not a cigarette. I always liked it, probably because my male kinfolk smoked nothing else. But I cannot quite capture the same taste or scent in today's product. It's probably just me. Nevertheless, you have me intrigued. But 40% perique? Umm...OK.  Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ftrplt

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: A VaBurPer Or VaPerBur?   Sat Jul 09, 2016 3:22 pm

H&H was my first pipe tobacco. Smoked it quite a bit way back in the mid 60's. Although I've "returned" to Burley in the last four years, I have not tried H&H again. PA & CH yes, but not H&H. Oh well, maybe later. cheers FTRPLT
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fatman

Registration date : 2013-02-14

PostSubject: Re: A VaBurPer Or VaPerBur?   Sat Jul 09, 2016 3:49 pm

Sounds like a great mixture, I will order some H&H with my next purchase and give it a whirl!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: A VaBurPer Or VaPerBur?   Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:35 pm

I love mixing stuff up, too. My latest was a mixture of BBF and Marlin Flake. Maybe 2/3 BBF and 1/3 Marlin Flake. That's just a guesstimate. Took the tartness out of the MF and gave a little more life to the BBF.

I've never heard of H&H, but some of the OTC blends are much better than they get credit for.  I can see how they might add something as a mixing agent.

-Yak
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: A VaBurPer Or VaPerBur?   Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:17 pm

I too dabble here and there with mixing my own blends using known blends. Carter Hall with Stokkebye black cavendish always turns out well. 75% CH.

McClellend Refined Tennessee Ribbon with roughly 15% perique is nice as well. It needs a bit of time in a jar to meld though. Prince Albert with a bit of McClelland Tastemaster is good too. Much better than either by itself anyway.

I'll have to try your HH concoction.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: A VaBurPer Or VaPerBur?   Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:01 pm

H&H is one of those old codger blends I've never tried. Guess I better get a round tuit! And your blend sounds enticing AJ, being as I'm a perique freak.

tongue

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
AJ

Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: A VaBurPer Or VaPerBur?   Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:20 pm

Brewdude wrote:
H&H is one of those old codger blends I've never tried. Guess I better get a round tuit! And your blend sounds enticing AJ, being as I'm a perique freak.

tongue

Cheers,

RR

Rande I actually got the idea from you. I've seen you post that you were smoking a blend that you had added 40% Perique. I don't know if you had added 40% more to the mix or that was the total after you had finished adding some taking in account the mix already had Perique when you started. The H & H didn't have any so I weighed out enough to give me a 60/40 mix. Smile

AJ
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: A VaBurPer Or VaPerBur?   Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:36 pm

ajn27511 wrote:
Brewdude wrote:

tongue

Cheers,

RR

Rande I actually got the idea from you. I've seen you post that you were smoking a blend that you had added 40% Perique. I don't know if you had added 40% more to the mix or that was the total after you had finished adding some taking in account the mix already had Perique when you started. The H & H didn't have any so I weighed out enough to give me a 60/40 mix. Smile

AJ

AJ, the blend I often speak of that has added Perique is 2015. And it has 15%, not 40%. To me, it's just like Goldilock's porridge - just right. Although to be fair, the regular 2015 isn't much different. I've had both and they are similar in all aspects.

The 2015 with added P-weed was my introduction to this blend from a trade long ago here. And while it still tickles my toes the reality is that the standard 2015 does the same.

Full disclosure, as they say!

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com

A VaBurPer Or VaPerBur?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: The Tobacco Jar-
Jump to: