HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

AJ Nash's VaPer

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: AJ Nash's VaPer   Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:41 pm

Got a surprise in the post box today! A rather nice helping of Half&Half with Perique. Tried a bit in an older pipe and then went and got a new one out and loaded a bowl. Very nice sweetness. A most fine blend worth keeping about. I'll know more when the bag is almost gone...............

cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AJ

Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: AJ Nash's VaPer   Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:36 pm

I'm pleased you like it OZ. It's kind of funny. I can hardly find anyone that will admit to smoking this old codger blend. After the name was sold to Pinkerton they changed the recipe and it had a nasty chemical taste. A few years back the Scandinavian Tobacco Group began producing Half & Half but it still had that nasty taste. Last year I bought an estate pipe that had the distinctive aroma of H&H. This brought back a flood of childhood memories so I ordered a few pouches to give it another try. I'm surely glad I did because the nastiness is gone and now the taste is nearly identical to the way it was back in the early 60's. My Dad and I really like the original recipe when produced by the American Tobacco Co. How it survived all those years while being produced by Pinkerton is a mystery to me. Hardly a day goes by that I don't smoke at least one bowl and usually it's several bowls during the day. I added some Perique to it on a whim and to me it is now a fine Bur/Per/Va. I sent several of my BoB brothers a sample and all have said it was very enjoyable. For those that haven't tried it you're missing out on a good tasting tobacco. Smile

AJ
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jevverrett

Registration date : 2014-12-13

PostSubject: Re: AJ Nash's VaPer   Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:19 am

My great uncle Jerome smokes half and half. I saw him last March when I went to northern Maine. Still smokes it lol. I got him to try some Orion's arrow I had with me for the trip. His official review: It's pretty dry. It was properly hydrated mind you.

I guess some people just smoke it bc that's what they smoke. I did, in high school up until I was 22 or so. I didn't know what perique was at the time haha. My palate was very narrow then. I smoke Prince Albert daily now when I'm at work. Sounds very interesting though.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: AJ Nash's VaPer   Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:24 am

I remember the Pinkerton product, if we're talking about the same era. Was that the early '70s, perhaps? Anyhow, I remember once back then taking a low power microscope to look at the tobacco flakes of Half & Half. I swear they were mixing in chopped homogenized leaf in the product. Not the entire pouch, just some mixed in with real, or whole tobacco. Same thing with Paladin Black Cherry at the time, the worst tobacco ever.  I was suspicious because homogenized leaf makes my throat feel funny, even though I don't inhale.

But H & H at its best was quite tasty. I don't quite get the same aroma from the current product, but maybe it's just me. It used to leave a very distinctive scent (cinnamon-like, to my nose) in any room it was smoked in--or in my case, the cab of a 988 Cat loader. Today, not so much. Anyhow, the perique addition sounds interesting, and I just may try it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

AJ Nash's VaPer
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: The Round Table-
Jump to: