HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 
 

 Something wicked this way comes

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Psmith

avatar

Location : Sokcho, South Korea
Registration date : 2013-04-21

PostSubject: Something wicked this way comes   Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:53 am

I really have my father-in-law to thank for helping me get into the world of pipes. He had a collection of about 7 different pipes that he collected back in the 80's when he smoked pipes that he graciously gifted to me. It was a score: BBB's, a GBD, a Peterson XL306, and few Dr. Plumbs and a few others like a leather clad French made pipe. Thank you dear father-in-law. The one thing I managed to avoid was the large tub of tobacco that he's kept on his shelf for 3 decades now.

Last weekend I found out he likes the ocasional cigar so I cut and gave him a few Partagas Aristocrats and a Jose Piedra Cazadore from my tupperdore. He was excited to get back to the countryside and smoke those down.

Well, in typical Korean fashion, no gift can be accepted at just face value. Wanting to reciprocate my giving of cigars, he has just sent a parcel to me in the post and it should be arriving tomorrow or the next day.

What is it? The big tub that time forgot. A big white and brown plastic bucket of (miraculously still moist and very aromatic)....

Mixture 79

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

avatar

Location : North Coast NY
Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Something wicked this way comes   Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:34 am

lol! lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ftrplt

avatar

Age : 71
Location : Split between Raleigh, NC and OKC, OK
Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Something wicked this way comes   Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:57 pm

Is the leather-clad French pipe a "Longchamp" by chance?? If so, that should be one great smoking pipe. Dang good Algerian briar, not putty-filled wood covered up in cheap leather. Please don't put Mixture 79 in it Evil or Very Mad I put that stuff up next to Paladin's Black Cherry on FTRPLT's most despised 'baccy's ever smoked list Razz Razz Razz cheers FTRPLT
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

avatar

Age : 63
Location : East Texas
Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Something wicked this way comes   Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:59 pm

Psmith wrote:
I really have my father-in-law to thank for helping me get into the world of pipes.  He had a collection of about 7 different pipes that he collected back in the 80's when he smoked pipes that he graciously gifted to me.  It was a score: BBB's, a GBD, a Peterson XL306, and few Dr. Plumbs and a few others like a leather clad French made pipe.  Thank you dear father-in-law.  The one thing I managed to avoid was the large tub of tobacco that he's kept on his shelf for 3 decades now.

Last weekend I found out he likes the ocasional cigar so I cut and gave him a few Partagas Aristocrats and a Jose Piedra Cazadore from my tupperdore.  He was excited to get back to the countryside and smoke those down.

Well, in typical Korean fashion, no gift can be accepted at just face value.  Wanting to reciprocate my giving of cigars, he has just sent a parcel to me in the post and it should be arriving tomorrow or the next day.

What is it? The big tub that time forgot.  A big white and brown plastic bucket of (miraculously still moist and very aromatic)....

Mixture 79


As you know, it's the thought that counts!
And it's just goes to show ya, No good deed goes unpunished. lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
Brewdude

avatar

Age : 65
Location : Near the Emerald city
Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Something wicked this way comes   Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:37 pm

Your FIL sounds very generous. Wonderful that he bequeathed those pipes to you. What a great story each one could tell.

I've never had the pleasure(?) of old 79 Mixture. Yet from what I gather on the boards it's not exactly a go-to is it? At least from today's standpoint.

It must've been popular back in the day, and hey, if it's what your FIL smoked perhaps you should pay him a bit of honor by inaugurating those pipes with it........


....or not as the case may be!

silent



Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
Cartaphilus

avatar

Age : 63
Location : East Texas
Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Something wicked this way comes   Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:49 pm

BD, It's sorta a Licorice flavored blend and without expanding on it further, it's Ghastly!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
Brewdude

avatar

Age : 65
Location : Near the Emerald city
Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Something wicked this way comes   Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:13 pm

Cartaphilus wrote:
BD, It's sorta a Licorice flavored blend and without expanding on it further, it's Ghastly!

I'll take you at your word Ron.

I cut my pipe teeth on Unhe's 255, which has a light licorice topping. And as I've stated many time here before, it was what my Pap smoked. And I figured if it was good enough for Pap it was good enough for me. Still enjoy it occasionally.

Not terribly familiar with other licorice blends since they don't appeal as a general rule. Tried out some of the G&H offerings and they were completely OTT for me.

I'm rambling now, but guess I'd probably try 79 out of curiosity more than anything. But don't be in a hurry to send me any please.

Wink


Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
Cartaphilus

avatar

Age : 63
Location : East Texas
Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Something wicked this way comes   Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:54 pm

Brewdude wrote:
Cartaphilus wrote:
BD, It's sorta a Licorice flavored blend and without expanding on it further, it's Ghastly!

I'll take you at your word Ron.

I cut my pipe teeth on Unhe's 255, which has a light licorice topping. And as I've stated many time here before, it was what my Pap smoked. And I figured if it was good enough for Pap it was good enough for me. Still enjoy it occasionally.

Not terribly familiar with other licorice blends since they don't appeal as a general rule. Tried out some of the G&H offerings and they were completely OTT for me.

I'm rambling now, but guess I'd probably try 79 out of curiosity more than anything. But don't be in a hurry to send me any please.

Wink


Cheers,

RR

Do me a favor and please don't smoke it in that Bulldog sir. 5)
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
Brewdude

avatar

Age : 65
Location : Near the Emerald city
Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Something wicked this way comes   Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:57 pm

Cartaphilus wrote:
Brewdude wrote:
Cartaphilus wrote:
BD, It's sorta a Licorice flavored blend and without expanding on it further, it's Ghastly!

I'll take you at your word Ron.

I cut my pipe teeth on Unhe's 255, which has a light licorice topping. And as I've stated many time here before, it was what my Pap smoked. And I figured if it was good enough for Pap it was good enough for me. Still enjoy it occasionally.

Not terribly familiar with other licorice blends since they don't appeal as a general rule. Tried out some of the G&H offerings and they were completely OTT for me.

I'm rambling now, but guess I'd probably try 79 out of curiosity more than anything. But don't be in a hurry to send me any please.

Wink


Cheers,

RR

Do me a favor and please don't smoke it in that Bulldog sir. 5)

No worries there my friend!

sunny



Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
Richard Burley

avatar

Location : North Coast NY
Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Something wicked this way comes   Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:16 pm

Mixture No. 79 was OK--but I always had to cut it 50:50 with Prince Albert or something. (Actually, on reflection, I think it was Mac Baren's Golden Extra.) It wouldn't stink up your car or or den or whatever like Paladin BC would, no matter how much you diluted the latter.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KevinM



Age : 75
Location : Connecticut
Registration date : 2012-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Something wicked this way comes   Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:50 pm

The reviews of No. 79 on TR are mostly negative (though not all), but the interesting thing is the hilarious heights of negativity reached by the reviewers. Few settled for "I don't care for this." They're inspired, though not in the usual way.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
smoker13



Age : 63
Location : Western Mass
Registration date : 2016-01-12

PostSubject: Re: Something wicked this way comes   Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:23 pm

The thing to remember is, if you're going to be smoking Mixture 79, be sure to complement it by wearing Brut cologne!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

avatar

Location : North Coast NY
Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Something wicked this way comes   Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:36 pm

smoker13 wrote:
The thing to remember is, if you're going to be smoking Mixture 79, be sure to complement it by wearing Brut cologne!

Yep. Hugh Hefner's tobacco of choice.

" />
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Idlefellow

avatar

Location : The Kansas Prairie
Registration date : 2009-02-24

PostSubject: Re: Something wicked this way comes   Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:42 pm

I remember the stuff tasting like soap. Yuk.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Psmith

avatar

Location : Sokcho, South Korea
Registration date : 2013-04-21

PostSubject: Re: Something wicked this way comes   Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:30 am

So it arrived.

I did the honorable thing and gave it a whirl in a bent Dr.Plumb that I rarely ever use (because it has this rather long stem that prevents it from fitting in my pipe case...was worried about ghosting a pipe).

I had read the scathing reviews of it on TR as well so of course I was expecting the worst. Someone on there compared to a urinal puck which made the notion of smoking it a bit daunting. Here we go. It was pretty gross.

Definitely whatever perfume its doused in comes through in the smoke. It was pretty offensive at first, kind of like walking into a small room where someone has just sprayed air-freshener. Or smoking potpourri. But as I powered on it became less pronounced and then it just took on a more sour burley flavor.

Once is enough for me. If anyone knows Hugh Hefner's mailing address let me know...I will send it to him.

Unfortunately I was out of Brut cologne to wear while smoking it. I had to settle for Aqua Velva instead which went well with my red velvet smoking jacket and silk pajamas.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
 
Something wicked this way comes
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: The Tobacco Jar-
Jump to: