HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

The Official BoB 2016 Pipe of the Year thread.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Blackhorse

Registration date : 2010-10-23

PostSubject: The Official BoB 2016 Pipe of the Year thread.   Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:18 pm

In years past various makers have agreed to make a fine briar...or a specific design was named as the approved item, etc. So far as I know there's been a couple of Tinsky pipes, one by Scottie, a Brigham, and so on. I've had three of them...all have been amazing.

This year it will be something completely different. This year's POY is...

The Falcon.

Here's how it will work. You pick a non-rusticated (smooth) bowl and bent or straight stem from whatever vendor you want. Contact our engraver via PM to work out the timing and details. Send the bowl to the engraver...pre-pay him via PayPal. He gets the bowl, engraves it and ships it back to you. That's it. Simple.

Think about it.

Pick a bent or straight stem, standard or custom...or both, etc. Silver, brown, blue, black bit, white bit...whatever.

Pick a smooth sided, large size bowl. Light or dark stain... meerschaum lined or even solid meerschaum!

Get your bowl in hand...maybe sand it down and do a custom stain...red, green tie dye...whatever! Then send it in for engraving. The possibilities are endless.

COST OF ENGRAVING = $20 plus return shipping.

Hey! Maybe you've got a favorite Falcon in your hoard? Want to send THAT one in? Why not? It just has to be clean in all regards. So you could end up with a POY for something like $25 total!!!

It was a major consideration to make this year's POY affordable. I think this qualifies.

And - there will be a "COOLEST POY DESIGN CONTEST" in which all pipes will be posted and members can vote their favorite for a nice prize.

The engraver will be Ozark Wizard, one of our own.

He will be open to receive your PM as of September 1st. Engraving services will run until the end of the year, December 31st.

That's pretty much it.

Oh! As we get into this and you maybe find a vendor or source for well priced bowls, a unique stem, etc.post it here for the cause.

Thank you for your support.

Don't like Falcons? Hate 'em? Fine. Don't get one. But there's no reason to bitch and moan here. In fact, if you do I'll enjoy deleting your post.

Have a nice day.

Last edited by Blackhorse on Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: The Official BoB 2016 Pipe of the Year thread.   Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:29 pm

I've got the following in the works. I going to call it "Fire in Ice".

White bit silver & blue stem from England:

Mated to a solid meerschaum bowl:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: The Official BoB 2016 Pipe of the Year thread.   Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:26 pm

Cheapest Falcon Retailer?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: The Official BoB 2016 Pipe of the Year thread.   Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:34 pm

Blackhorse wrote:
I've got the following in the works. I going to call it "Fire in Ice".

White bit silver & blue stem from England:

Mated to a solid meerschaum bowl:

Source, see voo play?

And this is a really unique concept for this year's POTY. I kinda dig it!

rabbit

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com Online
Timbo

Registration date : 2015-01-18

PostSubject: Re: The Official BoB 2016 Pipe of the Year thread.   Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:48 pm

I'm quite liking the idea for this year's POTY too. Loving the excuse to grab another Falcon as well.

Thanks to the Wiz and the mods that organised this.

Cheers,

Tim
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: The Official BoB 2016 Pipe of the Year thread.   Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:26 pm

Stem source

http://www.cigar-connoisseur.co.uk/acatalog/Falcon_Shilllagh_Twisted_Pipe_Stems.html

I would imagine most online vendors have Falcon stems & bowls.

Mars, Pipes & Cigars, Smoking Pipes, 4 Noggins, Iwan Ries, etc. There's a list of online vendors somewhere on the site. The cheapest will be a function of item price plus shipping of course.

Remember...smooth bowl...large bowl...check with Ozzie via PM as of September 1st. Thanks

Last edited by Blackhorse on Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Puff Daddy

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: The Official BoB 2016 Pipe of the Year thread.   Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:36 pm

puros_bran wrote:

I just bought a Falcon Extra anodized copper colored bent stem and a smooth Hunter Dublin bowl from tobaccopipes.com . They have a bunch of stems and bowls, various shapes and sizes. Cost: Stem $28, bowl $28, free shipping. I don't know if that's the cheapest but it's pretty darned cheap. I know 4 Noggins has some, not sure who else.

As Blackhorse mentioned earlier, if you already have a Falcon smooth or meer bowl in good contition then you already have what you need. If you have a stem but would like a new bowl for the engraving you can get a smooth bowl for $28 including shipping.

In years past we've had some pretty nice handmade briar pipes for the POY, but the single biggest complaint every time was that a lot of people can't afford, $150, $200, $250 for a pipe. Well, this is going to be the most affordable POY you'll ever come across, so if you always wanted to participate but just couldn't afford to, now's your chance.

It's never easy picking a POY. In doing this years version we had to decline some nice offers for nice pipes from good carvers, but in wanting to reach out to those who can never afford to participate we had to pass on some potentially nice work. So, a big thanks to those who offered, a really big thanks to Ozark Wizard for accepting the work as engraver, and we hope this year turns out to be big fun for a lot of people.

WarlockBob

Registration date : 2012-09-30

PostSubject: Re: The Official BoB 2016 Pipe of the Year thread.   Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:46 pm

I like it! Great idea, all in all. I'll be needing to look for a Falcon bowl and stem... I have a Viking, but no Falcon!

cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: The Official BoB 2016 Pipe of the Year thread.   Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:48 pm

Every gentleman needs a good Falcon.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: The Official BoB 2016 Pipe of the Year thread.   Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:52 pm

Puff Daddy wrote:
puros_bran wrote:

I just bought a Falcon Extra anodized copper colored bent stem and a smooth Hunter Dublin bowl from tobaccopipes.com . They have a bunch of stems and bowls, various shapes and sizes. Cost: Stem $28, bowl $28, free shipping. I don't know if that's the cheapest but it's pretty darned cheap. I know 4 Noggins has some, not sure who else.

As Blackhorse mentioned earlier, if you already have a Falcon smooth or meer bowl in good contition then you already have what you need. If you have a stem but would like a new bowl for the engraving you can get a smooth bowl for $28 including shipping.

In years past we've had some pretty nice handmade briar pipes for the POY, but the single biggest complaint every time was that a lot of people can't afford, $150, $200, $250 for a pipe. Well, this is going to be the most affordable POY you'll ever come across, so if you always wanted to participate but just couldn't afford to, now's your chance.

It's never easy picking a POY. In doing this years version we had to decline some nice offers for nice pipes from good carvers, but in wanting to reach out to those who can never afford to participate we had to pass on some potentially nice work. So, a big thanks to those who offered, a really big thanks to Ozark Wizard for accepting the work as engraver, and we hope this year turns out to be big fun for a lot of people.

This is huge, and kudos to all youse who contributed to this effort.

And not to mention that our own Wizard will be involved!

Cool

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com Online
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: The Official BoB 2016 Pipe of the Year thread.   Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:56 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: The Official BoB 2016 Pipe of the Year thread.   Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:12 pm

Yhis is a FANTASTIC concept for the POY !!!! I'll now have to get another bowl for my Falcon !! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: The Official BoB 2016 Pipe of the Year thread.   Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:14 pm

Thank you!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: The Official BoB 2016 Pipe of the Year thread.   Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:24 am

As I recall, there are a couple of Brothers that can make custom Falcon bowls. Briar Spirit comes to mind, but I might be wrong. Just saying though, it might be cool to have a custom bowl.... Someone made some cob ones too. I just can't remember........

This will be great. Thanks for having the faith in my abilities...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: The Official BoB 2016 Pipe of the Year thread.   Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:30 am

How about this...ebony and ivory. The black bowl is Morta, the white is meerschaum. Could a set be any sweeter? The twisted stem version is called a "Shillelagh" and is commonly available in the UK for about $25 not counting shipping.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
joshoowah

Registration date : 2011-09-24

PostSubject: Re: The Official BoB 2016 Pipe of the Year thread.   Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:17 am

I'd love to participate, but, alas, I am not Stateside to do all of this. I look forward to seeing the results nonetheless.

Also, I've never, ever seen a Falcon that is red or green like the ones in Blackhorse's photo. I could really go for that red one, for sure.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: The Official BoB 2016 Pipe of the Year thread.   Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:48 am

You don't have to be here to get a bowl to Ozzie, nor here for him to send it back. You could purchase one from a USA vendor and have it shipped to him.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Puff Daddy

PostSubject: Re: The Official BoB 2016 Pipe of the Year thread.   Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:21 am

A morta bowl and a cob bowl, now those would be cool! Very Happy

joshoowah

Registration date : 2011-09-24

PostSubject: Re: The Official BoB 2016 Pipe of the Year thread.   Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:16 am

Blackhorse wrote:
You don't have to be here to get a bowl to Ozzie, nor here for him to send it back. You could purchase one from a USA vendor and have it shipped to him.

True, but to have it then shipped to someone I know in the USA (my parents, let's say) and have them inspect something they know nothing about or to have it then shipped to me here in Kenya, which would most likely be confiscated by customs for some unbeknownst reason, is a bit out of my wheel house presently. As said, I look forward to seeing what becomes of all your guys' Falcons.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: The Official BoB 2016 Pipe of the Year thread.   Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:11 am

What will happen to our Falcons is that they will all be EPIC, of course. Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Puff Daddy

PostSubject: Re: The Official BoB 2016 Pipe of the Year thread.   Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:20 am

Looks like GQ tobacco in the UK has some create your own selections for really good prices.

http://www.gqtobaccos.com/create-your-own-falcon-combination-set/

I was about to buy a Hunter but they're out of stock on the straight, pity.

Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: The Official BoB 2016 Pipe of the Year thread.   Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:24 am

Did you check these out?

http://www.gqtobaccos.com/falcon-coloured-anodized-rainbow-stems/
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: The Official BoB 2016 Pipe of the Year thread.   Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:41 pm

http://www.tobaccopipes.com/falcon-pipes/
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrT999

Registration date : 2011-08-31

PostSubject: Re: The Official BoB 2016 Pipe of the Year thread.   Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:48 pm

I can certainly always use another Falcon bowl! This was an excellent idea Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999 Online
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: The Official BoB 2016 Pipe of the Year thread.   Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:16 pm

Thank P Daddy for the initial suggestion. It's brilliant on many levels.

And show me another site that would so something like this. I love this place.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

The Official BoB 2016 Pipe of the Year thread.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 6Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next