HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

The Official BoB 2016 Pipe of the Year thread.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
allyby

Registration date : 2013-01-09

PostSubject: Re: The Official BoB 2016 Pipe of the Year thread.   Sat Aug 20, 2016 2:03 pm

Puff Daddy wrote:
A morta bowl and a cob bowl, now those would be cool! Very Happy

Morta bowls here.

http://www.askwithpipes.com/handmade.html
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: The Official BoB 2016 Pipe of the Year thread.   Sat Aug 20, 2016 6:12 pm

Can you safely carve Morta Ozzie? Or anyone.
I mean I know they form pipes out of them, I guess what I'm asking is how would the imprint be legable from more than 6 white boy inches from your eyeballs.

Dumb questions but I want to do it right.

Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: The Official BoB 2016 Pipe of the Year thread.   Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:18 pm

puros_bran wrote:
Can you safely carve Morta Ozzie?  Or anyone.  
I mean I know they form pipes out of them, I guess what I'm asking is how would the imprint be legable from more than 6 white boy inches from your eyeballs.

I was looking at that and also the rusticated bowls. Once I can get the fine tuning on the text going on them, I have a few bowls around that I will practice on. I get hung up on refining the work before I just start throwing down on a project. I feel if I can remove what I need from the field then the lettering would remain raised, and thus might be more visible. Obviously the more extreme the texture of the bowl, the less likely it would look like anything but a flaw in the texture.

Of course, if someone was looking for a wrap around billboard, an appropriate shade of nail polish in the carving would really make it pop!Very Happy

Blackhorse did mention earlier that the bowls would be smooth sided. But let me play around with it and I'll get back to you...............

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: The Official BoB 2016 Pipe of the Year thread.   Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:54 pm

Wowee-zowee.....looks like we're spoiled for choices here!  Surprised

Too many great combinations to make and I'd easily choose 4 or 5 right off the bat. Love the morta bowls.

Right now I'm leaning towards either a meer-lined smooth bowl or all meer bowl, with a bent stem. But those straight Shillelagh stems are the bees knees, including and especially the one with a white bit. Yet it seems like the white bit model is oos on the GQ site. Am I reading this wrong? Glynn is the only one who seemed to offer this.

Too many choices!

Shocked

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
Blackhorse

Registration date : 2010-10-23

PostSubject: Re: The Official BoB 2016 Pipe of the Year thread.   Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:07 pm

OK boys, before you all go haring off over field and fen...

At this time rusticated bowls are not approved for fabricating the POY. That's not likely to change. Regardless of Mr. Wizard's skill and willingness to accommodate members, the concept is a smooth bowl with the "BoB 2016 POY" engraved into the bowl material...as opposed to letters standing out in relief.

Um, we also do not approve the use of rhinestones or electricity in any form.

And no, you cannot make a pipe out of a petrified toad.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Puff Daddy

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: The Official BoB 2016 Pipe of the Year thread.   Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:24 pm

Brewdude -- http://m.ebay.com/itm/FALCON-pipe-Shillelagh-stem-Chrome-color-tube-White-mouthpiece-New-and-RARE-/131876892898?nav=SEARCH

The Shillelagh stems can be hard to come by. Some with the colored tubes are available here and there, seems the simpler ones like the above are relegated to ebay at a higher price. I was looking for a straight shillelagh with black tube and black mouthpiece and can't find one anywhere.

Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: The Official BoB 2016 Pipe of the Year thread.   Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:56 pm

Blackhorse wrote:

At this time rusticated bowls are not approved for fabricating the POY. That's not likely to change. Regardless of Mr. Wizard's skill and willingness to accommodate members, the concept is a smooth bowl with the "BoB 2016 POY" engraved into the bowl material...as opposed to letters standing out in relief.

Right, so morta is out owing to it's nature....if I have this right. Got it.

T'was already gravitating to a smooth bowl anyway so it's NBD.

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: The Official BoB 2016 Pipe of the Year thread.   Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:58 pm

Puff Daddy wrote:
Brewdude --  http://m.ebay.com/itm/FALCON-pipe-Shillelagh-stem-Chrome-color-tube-White-mouthpiece-New-and-RARE-/131876892898?nav=SEARCH

The Shillelagh stems can be hard to come by. Some with the colored tubes are available here and there, seems the simpler ones like the above are relegated to ebay at a higher price. I was looking for a straight shillelagh with black tube and black mouthpiece and can't find one anywhere.

Thanks bro.

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: The Official BoB 2016 Pipe of the Year thread.   Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:03 pm

(groan). Morta is fine. There's nothing in its nature that makes it verboten. It's wood. It can be engraved just like Briar or Olive or whatever. I think it was someone's interpretation that incised letters on the dark wood wouldn't show up well. Nothing wrong with a more subdued look. That's artistic preference.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

PostSubject: Re: The Official BoB 2016 Pipe of the Year thread.   Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:13 pm

Blackhorse wrote:

Works for me!

Soooo, no peel and stick glow in the dark stars either, I suppose. lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: The Official BoB 2016 Pipe of the Year thread.   Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:16 pm

What color?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

PostSubject: Re: The Official BoB 2016 Pipe of the Year thread.   Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:23 pm

Blackhorse wrote:
What color?

They come in colours?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: The Official BoB 2016 Pipe of the Year thread.   Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:25 pm

They did in my grade school.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: The Official BoB 2016 Pipe of the Year thread.   Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:25 pm

Blackhorse wrote:
(groan). Morta is fine. There's nothing in its nature that makes it verboten. It's wood. It can be engraved just like Briar or Olive or whatever. I think it was someone's interpretation that incised letters on the dark wood wouldn't show up well. Nothing wrong with a more subdued look. That's artistic preference.

Thanks for the clarification BH. I do like to get these thing right.

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
joshoowah

Registration date : 2011-09-24

PostSubject: Re: The Official BoB 2016 Pipe of the Year thread.   Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:54 am

puros_bran wrote:
Can you safely carve Morta Ozzie?  Or anyone.  

I just want to point out, and this is not necessarily in relation to PB's post, that Chris Askwith has some nice looking Falcon bowls. I'm sure, if you so wished, you could contact him to make you a smooth Olivewood, Morta, or Briar. They're reasonably priced too, at least in my opinion.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: The Official BoB 2016 Pipe of the Year thread.   Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:56 am

Puff Daddy wrote:
Brewdude --  http://m.ebay.com/itm/FALCON-pipe-Shillelagh-stem-Chrome-color-tube-White-mouthpiece-New-and-RARE-/131876892898?nav=SEARCH

I have seen ersatz Falcoons somewhere, but those look legit. Anyone ever ordered anything from Estonia? Particularly from this vendor, with free shipping? (!)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: The Official BoB 2016 Pipe of the Year thread.   Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:58 am

It looks like the cost plus shipping for an Askwith Morta bowl could be as low as £30 + £10 = $52 USD. Not too steep IMO.

Link below:

http://askwithpipes.com/handmade.html

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: The Official BoB 2016 Pipe of the Year thread.   Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:38 am

Put that Askwith Morta bowl on the following for a pretty cool looking Diablo kinda thing...at around $85 total.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
DGErwin11

Registration date : 2012-05-20

PostSubject: Re: The Official BoB 2016 Pipe of the Year thread.   Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:40 pm

Ozark Wizard wrote:
As I recall, there are a couple of Brothers that can make custom Falcon bowls. Briar Spirit comes to mind, but I might be wrong. Just saying though, it might be cool to have a custom bowl.... Someone made some cob ones too. I just can't remember........

This will be great. Thanks for having the faith in my abilities...  
I think it would be pretty rough engraving a cob bowl.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://DGEHandmadePipes.com
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: The Official BoB 2016 Pipe of the Year thread.   Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:44 pm

Ozzie has an engraving tip for his burner. I bet that would work pretty well actually. Not that I'm suggesting it, mind you. Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: The Official BoB 2016 Pipe of the Year thread.   Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:06 pm

So I'm leaning towards either a meer bowl or a meer-lined bowl. Can anyone with experience on these tell me if the bowl screws in without damaging the meerschaum? It would seem to me that meerschaum being somewhat brittle, might have a tendency to crumble where the bowl mates to the stem.

This might be more of a problem with an all-meer bowl however, as one of the sites I looked at had several views of all the Falcon bowls, and the underside of the meer-lined briar bowls looked as though this might not be as much of an issue. But I've never seen one of these in person.

Question

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
Puff Daddy

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: The Official BoB 2016 Pipe of the Year thread.   Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:39 pm

Mine came today Very Happy

Might have gotten a little carried away with the extra bowls (have a meer Algiers smooth coming from the UK as well).

Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: The Official BoB 2016 Pipe of the Year thread.   Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:56 pm

Puff Daddy wrote:
Mine came today Very Happy

Might have gotten a little carried away with the extra bowls (have a meer Algiers smooth coming from the UK as well).

Please lmk how that attaches to the stem PD.

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
mark
Admin

Registration date : 2008-07-02

PostSubject: Re: The Official BoB 2016 Pipe of the Year thread.   Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:58 pm

Brewdude wrote:
So I'm leaning towards either a meer bowl or a meer-lined bowl. Can anyone with experience on these tell me if the bowl screws in without damaging the meerschaum? It would seem to me that meerschaum being somewhat brittle, might have a tendency to crumble where the bowl mates to the stem.

Yeah, I stayed away from the full meer bowl because of the soft nature of it, but I know a guy that has one and says he's had no problems with the threads. Maybe I worry too much.

I have a meer lined bowl, the threads are briar. No worries.

Sometimes I wake up grumpy. Other times I let her sleep.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrT999

Registration date : 2011-08-31

PostSubject: Re: The Official BoB 2016 Pipe of the Year thread.   Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:05 pm

One of my falcons is a meer bowl, and in over a year of use I haven't noticed any problems. Granted, you have to be a bit careful with any falcon not to over-tighten.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999

The Official BoB 2016 Pipe of the Year thread.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next