HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

The Official BoB 2016 Pipe of the Year thread.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Blackhorse

Registration date : 2010-10-23

PostSubject: Re: The Official BoB 2016 Pipe of the Year thread.   Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:06 pm

BD - PD's new bowl will screw onto the stem...just like all Falcons.  Cool

And BTW - that's some fine lookin'gear there.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: The Official BoB 2016 Pipe of the Year thread.   Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:23 pm

Blackhorse wrote:
BD - PD's new bowl will screw onto the stem...just like all Falcons.  Cool

Yes of course. But what I'm wondering is if the meer will be a problem due to its brittle nature while screwing in.

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: The Official BoB 2016 Pipe of the Year thread.   Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:30 pm

Honestly, I rather doubt that Falcon would produce and sell a product that failed to perform well. Also, I would not take one person's experience with a new item as indicative of overall performance. Just sayin'.

I plan to order a solid meerschaum bowl. I plan to be careful with it...like I am with all my meerschaum items (1 other...lol). I have no doubt that will provide many years of excellent service.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Puff Daddy

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: The Official BoB 2016 Pipe of the Year thread.   Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:34 pm

I'll let ya know as soon as it arrives.

Puff Daddy

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: The Official BoB 2016 Pipe of the Year thread.   Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:40 pm

Btw, just finished my first bowl of burley in the bulldog bowl. Smoked perfectly fine. No gurgle, not hot, no off taste, no problem. To be honest I'm surprised it smoked so well. The only negative I can offer is that the button is a bit tall with sharp edges, but I'll tape it off and file it down a little and it'll be good to go. I got the one with the two grooves cut into the stem, actually was quite pleased with that, helped when clenching.

Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: The Official BoB 2016 Pipe of the Year thread.   Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:15 pm

I'm rather liking this one:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: The Official BoB 2016 Pipe of the Year thread.   Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:43 pm

I have a question for all you Falcon owners out there. I have yet to try this myself, as it just came to mind, but are all the threading jobs started at the same point? What I mean is, if a bowl is set to full center and marked, and then set on another stem, will it stop at the same center point? So say, I engrave a bowl centered on my stem, will it be centered on yours? Oh crap, hang on, I'll check and be right back.....

Ok, checked 4 bowls and four stems by building the pipes, then put a piece of masking tape over the seams. I made a center mark on them, then took a razor and cut the tape at the seams. Swapping bowl shows that all but the originally marked pair were off, some by as much as a quarter inch.

If someone else could try this and confirm, it would be good to know........

Last edited by Ozark Wizard on Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: The Official BoB 2016 Pipe of the Year thread.   Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:47 pm

Great minds. I was just about to ask members to send in stems along with their bowl so this wouldn't be a problem. Or, I thought they might mark the center line with a soft pencil line of bit of tape, etc.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

PostSubject: Re: The Official BoB 2016 Pipe of the Year thread.   Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:58 pm

Blackhorse wrote:
Great minds. I was just about to ask members to send in stems along with their bowl so this wouldn't be a problem.  Or, I thought they might mark the center line with a soft pencil line of bit of tape, etc.

A bit of blue painter's tape with a mark on center works for me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: The Official BoB 2016 Pipe of the Year thread.   Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:01 pm

I'll add that to the "directions" I post.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

PostSubject: Re: The Official BoB 2016 Pipe of the Year thread.   Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:13 pm

Example:

Never mind, I'm getting a syntax error when trying to post a picture... Anyway, the blue tape should not leave residue like regular tape. I still would recommend adhering the tape on the bottom side of the bowl and a fine pencil line indicating front and center.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: The Official BoB 2016 Pipe of the Year thread.   Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:33 am

OK - decided to jump on squatty the Bulldog meer bowl from GQ. It's little page read "sold out" after my order went through - so just the one I guess. I think this would work well with straight or bent stems, but we'll see.

The stem has also been ordered...from Estonia! Good grief. Well, it should look good. Took me forever to find an unpainted center rod.

Getting JUST what you want ain't cheap though. Stem $37...bowl $63. Includes shipping. Total of $100. A lot more than I wanted to spend, but you know how that goes.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: The Official BoB 2016 Pipe of the Year thread.   Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:13 pm

Blackhorse wrote:
I'm rather liking this one:

Where did you find that all black stem Dave?

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: The Official BoB 2016 Pipe of the Year thread.   Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:18 pm

Via Google. I did a search using "Falcon Hunter Stem" and up it popped.

Check your PM..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: The Official BoB 2016 Pipe of the Year thread.   Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:29 pm

Blackhorse wrote:
Via Google. I did a search using "Falcon Hunter Stem" and up it popped.

Check your PM..

Deal done. Thanks amigo!

Cool

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: The Official BoB 2016 Pipe of the Year thread.   Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:40 pm

Blackhorse wrote:
The stem has also been ordered...from Estonia! Good grief. Well, it should look good. Took me forever to find an unpainted center rod.

Gotta admit I was sorely tempted by that stem as well, but the Estonia thing gave me pause. I'll be interested to see how long it takes for you to receive it Dave.

In any case I'm happy with the black one I just ordered. Should look good with the meer round 'doggy bowl I ordered from that place in FL. I got the only one in stock! Also got a pack of dry rings since my one other Falcon needs one.

Stem was about $28 and shipping brought it to just under $35. Bowl was essentially $60, plus $4 for a pack of 25 dry rings. Free shipping on bowl and rings. So that comes to around $100. Not too bad, really.

Decided to go for the meer after all, since I agree with your post above which stated that Falcon wouldn't sell something that didn't work well. Just hope I don't flock it up when screwing in. I'm kind of a klutz ya know! Plus, I've been wanting a second meer so figured here's my chance.

I was also leaning towards the brown bent stem. Might actually go back and get that one and a briar bowl at some point. But for now, enough!

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
Ozark Wizard

PostSubject: Re: The Official BoB 2016 Pipe of the Year thread.   Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:50 pm

I looked really hard at that stem in Estonia as well. Looked so hard I went to buy it, but was saved by a connection issue...

I'm scaring myself enough with my PAD and TAD.....

OH, I didn't mention the pipes? Hmph. Another thread...............................
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: The Official BoB 2016 Pipe of the Year thread.   Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:10 am

I'm not worried about the Estonia thing. Good people there too, just like here. Honest, hard working, etc. Plus...it's an eBay purchase, so they guarantee it.

Heard from GQ this a.m. and my 'Squatty the Bulldog' meer bowl has shipped. Sweet!

Package ready for mailing to Ozzie includes Falcon stem and bowl for use as prototype & project promo pictures (8 X 10 glossies)...plus a few goodies like an Aranyik Banana Knife and 'baccy samples.

Inch by inch, row by row.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: The Official BoB 2016 Pipe of the Year thread.   Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:28 am

Falcons CAN hurt. Ouch.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: The Official BoB 2016 Pipe of the Year thread.   Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:04 pm

This has got to be the largest and most complete collection of all Falcon options ever. Prices listed in Pounds Sterling...current exchange rate is about $1.30 USD to the pound. Shipping seems quite reasonable. Never dealt with them personally but they have a good rep so far as I know.

http://www.mysmokingshop.co.uk/index2.php?mod=mancats&ns=Bowls%20Standard%20Hunter&sec=3187&man=67
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

PostSubject: Re: The Official BoB 2016 Pipe of the Year thread.   Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:44 pm

But but but I can't buy any more pipes! I'm in enough trouble as it is!! OH NO!! I love this one!!

Click
Click
Click

Oooh, that one's pretty too........
Click
Click

Pay with Paypal, click..........

(dammit)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: The Official BoB 2016 Pipe of the Year thread.   Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:38 pm

Blackhorse wrote:
This has got to be the largest and most complete collection of all Falcon options ever. Prices listed in Pounds Sterling...current exchange rate is about $1.30 USD to the pound. Shipping seems quite reasonable. Never dealt with them personally but they have a good rep so far as I know.

http://www.mysmokingshop.co.uk/index2.php?mod=mancats&ns=Bowls%20Standard%20Hunter&sec=3187&man=67

Pretty impressive selection right there and no mistake!

Cool

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: The Official BoB 2016 Pipe of the Year thread.   Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:53 pm

Blackhorse wrote:
Falcons CAN hurt. Ouch.

So, is that you Dave?

tongue

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: The Official BoB 2016 Pipe of the Year thread.   Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:55 pm

To which one are you referring? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: The Official BoB 2016 Pipe of the Year thread.   Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:25 pm

Blackhorse wrote:
To which one are you referring?  Very Happy

Touché.

clown

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down

The Official BoB 2016 Pipe of the Year thread.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next