HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Pencils, anyone?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Pencils, anyone?   Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:51 am

I've tried every logical argument I can to convince myself that I should be writing with a fountain pen, or at least a good quality mechanical pencil, but I much prefer a plain old No. 2 wooden pencil. It must be a "feel" thing, or maybe some perverse nostalgia for my elementary school years or something. (Yes, I use ball points for crap work.)

But that's not my point. (Har! Har!) Does anyone reading this happen to have a favorite pencil sharpener, currently available, preferably non-electric? I lost my classroom type crank job in a recent move. It worked OK, but I can't remember its brand name. And there must be better ones anyhow. Currently using a plastic ultra-cheapo that breaks the lead off as often as not.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Pencils, anyone?   Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:16 pm

It was originally Palamino Blackwing or nothing, then they went to Japan.
I then used Ticonderoga the Black ones because once you go black you never go back! Very Happy but then they went to Mexico.

Now mind you, a pencil should be black. It just should... but it should also be American made. So, drum roll, $3.50 per 20-30-40 (ever how many is in that giant box) Yellow USA Gold.

I won't pay extra for a Japanese pencil, I won't pay extra for a Mexican pencil. I adore the Japanese people, and I've worked with a lot of Mexican citizens that somehow landed north of the border, never once had a problem with either....but... Buy American For Americans. The unemployed do not contribute to the economy.

Pencil sharpener? A cheap silver, 'stick it in and twist' deal that came with a bunch of made in France pencils I bought. Lol

Last edited by puros_bran on Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:27 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AJ

Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Pencils, anyone?   Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:18 pm

We had a Boston Sharpener like this one for years. It was the same sharpener I used throughout my school years. It finally wore out about 5 years ago after providing 55 years of service. Now I have one just like the one in the picture and by the same manufacturer. Smile

AJ

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

PostSubject: Re: Pencils, anyone?   Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:25 pm

I liked the old Mongols. The new ones look weird to me. Maybe they're made in China--by Mongols? Still using Venus Velvets from decades ago. (I bought a huge quantity, but they're down to about a half dozen. I think.)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

PostSubject: Re: Pencils, anyone?   Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:28 pm

ajn27511 wrote:
We had a Boston Sharpener like this one for years. It was the same sharpener I used throughout my school years. It finally wore out about 5 years ago after providing 55 years of service. Now I have one just like the one in the picture and by the same manufacturer. Smile

AJ

Cool! Does it break leads?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AJ

PostSubject: Re: Pencils, anyone?   Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:57 pm

Richard Burley wrote:

Cool! Does it break leads?

Never has to my knowledge. Always a very sharp point. You can find the one pictured on Amazon for a little less than ten bucks. Smile

AJ

Click Here for Sharpener!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
riff raff

Registration date : 2011-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Pencils, anyone?   Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:38 am

My buddy has one of these, it is electric.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Pencils, anyone?   Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:53 pm

I use a #2 pencil when writing charts for my musical endeavours. It's dark enough for using the copy machines for the other musicians, and enables me to make changes to the score when I've made a boo-boo (which is often) with a separate eraser. I always wear out the eraser on the pencil itself first!

Tried a mechanical pencil but the lead is too fragile and ends up breaking too much. Give me a good old #2 like I had back in school days.

And I use one of those cheap small plastic sharpeners with 2 sizes. Works for me.

My handwriting is so poor that if I'm writing a letter I normally use block printing rather that cursive. Otherwise I'll make extra loops or something. It's like my hand and brain are disconnected!

No

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
Fatman

Registration date : 2013-02-14

PostSubject: Re: Pencils, anyone?   Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:12 pm

ajn27511 wrote:

AJ

In your school years, didn't they use a piece of slate and chalk? cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Pencils, anyone?   Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:44 pm

Fatman wrote:
ajn27511 wrote:

AJ

Ouch! that gonna leave a mark!

tongue

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
AJ

PostSubject: Re: Pencils, anyone?   Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:42 am

Fatman wrote:
ajn27511 wrote:

AJ

Nah! We didn't get slate and chalk until I was in the fourth grade. When I started school we had to use birch bark and charcoal. At the age of 26 when I finally got into high school they passed out pencils but Ionly to those students that could read. Turns out I never got use pencils. I guess that was OK 'cause I never learned to write either. Wink

AJ
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AJ

PostSubject: Re: Pencils, anyone?   Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:46 am

Brewdude wrote:
Fatman wrote:
ajn27511 wrote:

AJ

Ouch! that gonna leave a mark!

tongue

Cheers,

RR

That's OK Rande. No one will see any marks because my old body is so wrinkled. lol!

AJ
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fatman

Registration date : 2013-02-14

PostSubject: Re: Pencils, anyone?   Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:59 am

ajn27511 wrote:
Fatman wrote:
ajn27511 wrote:

AJ

Nah! We didn't get slate and chalk until I was in the fourth grade. When I started school we had to use birch bark and charcoal. At the age of 26 when I finally got into high school they passed out pencils but Ionly to those students that could read. Turns out I never got use pencils. I guess that was OK 'cause I never learned to write either. Wink

AJ

Hahahahaha, well played good Sir, well played Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Briarbabe

Registration date : 2013-07-30

PostSubject: Re: Pencils, anyone?   Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:37 pm

riff raff wrote:
My buddy has one of these, it is electric.

Oh my god that is fantastic! I need one of these for work.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://traceyleezle.wordpress.com
Briarbabe

Registration date : 2013-07-30

PostSubject: Re: Pencils, anyone?   Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:58 pm

I like the black Ticonderogas and good 'ol USA Golds in natural.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://traceyleezle.wordpress.com

Pencils, anyone?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: The Round Table-
Jump to: