HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

SG FVF

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: SG FVF   Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:38 pm

Went in blind on a TAD from Blackhorse and grabbed 250 gm of aged in the box Full Virginia Flake. It was ready to smoke right out and in one light gave me an hour smoke from a 1.5 cm wide 2 cm deep pipe. "Tin note" was one of a nice black Pekoe tea. Almost tasted like St. James Flake. Very yummy!
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: SG FVF   Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:44 pm

"Aged" is the keyword here, to me at least.

Took me a long time to come around to FVF, and to date remains the most challenging 'baccy to prep properly. Hit and miss. But when it's on, by 'arry it's ON!

Cool

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
huffelpuff

Registration date : 2011-12-10

PostSubject: Re: SG FVF   Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:07 pm

That's a real winner when it wants to perform. As Rande pointed out it can be a challenge for a few of us. Of course with a box that size you should be good to go for quite awhile lol.

Jim
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JimInks

Registration date : 2012-08-31

PostSubject: Re: SG FVF   Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:24 pm

I only cellared 13 pounds of it, so I guess I should make up my mind whether or not I like it. confused Suspect What a Face Some batches have a little deeper flavor than others, but it is generally consistent. As it gets better with age, I'm currently aging my stash, none of which is newer than 2013. I wanted to make sure I had enough for the rest of my life.

Ozark Wizard: the reason it reminds you a little of St. James Flake is because SJF uses this Virginia in it. I like SJF almost as much as I do FVF.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gus

Registration date : 2009-10-17

PostSubject: Re: SG FVF   Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:13 am

My favorite va, its really yummy, a delicious smoke

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse

Registration date : 2010-10-23

PostSubject: Re: SG FVF   Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:49 pm

FVF is one of the all time favorites. Hot dogs, apple pie and FVF! Er, or something like that.

Over on the review site it is the third most reviewed blend with just shy of 500 reviews. It used to be the MOST reviewed blend. So it is certainly KNOWN.

I've never had a problem with prep. I treat it like most flakes...smoke if fairly dry...rub it slightly but not fully so as to somewhat slow the burn...pack it medium tight...smoke it with my typical greedy cadence...yadda, yadda, yadda. Works differently but well in differing bowl geometries - Prince, Dublin, Oom Paul, Cob, etc.

Good stuff IMHO.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Stick

Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: Re: SG FVF   Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:38 pm

High praise indeed gents.

If it's somewhat reminiscent of SJF (minus the Per) I reckon I'll have to give it a shot. I just love that SJF!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: SG FVF   Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:31 pm

It's similar to Stonehaven...but without the Pixie Dust.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
deepbass9

Registration date : 2011-02-21

PostSubject: Re: SG FVF   Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:10 pm

JimInks wrote:
I like SJF almost as much as I do FVF.

I think I like it better. I wish I found it first, as I'd have more of it than FVF cellared. I fear I'm at the end of my big cash outlays....got a couple of lifetimes worth at my snails rate to get through...first world problem fer sure.

But Ole FVF ain't a bad second, eh 😆
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: SG FVF   Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:58 pm

Wiz' how old was the tobacco? I have a few of those and I was wondering when they would be managable to smoke without generating headaches (especially the FVF that can be so quirky).
Back to top Go down
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: SG FVF   Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:04 pm

That's a very individual reaction and one guy can't predict something like that for another, I'm thinkin'.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Ozark Wizard

PostSubject: Re: SG FVF   Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:27 pm

Lord Guyrox wrote:
Wiz' how old was the tobacco? I have a few of those and I was wondering when they would be managable to smoke without generating headaches (especially the FVF that can be so quirky).

I think it was five years old? I can't remember really, but that sounds right. Jim Inks said it is a lot like SJF, and I agree. If that is any reflection of behaviours, then I would suspect that 'fresh' it would require a bit more attention than I give this batch of FVF. Though really, when I load up 'fresh' SJF, I tend to nurse it along, and it burns longer and not as hot.

I'll say this about SG's and Gaw/Ho and Co flakes I've tried to date. Tins, yah, pretty damp. Boxes not so much. I load the flakes broken across the grain at bowl height and loosely twist them in. No real dry time. Hit it with flame and it'll go out eventually, early on. the relight brings it to light and just goes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Old Nate
Not Really Old

Registration date : 2014-08-27

PostSubject: Re: SG FVF   Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:23 am

Same here. I have boxed SJF and I don't dry it much at all. Once going, the rest is quite all right!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: SG FVF   Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:58 am

I think 5 yrs is about right. It should be pretty beautiful about now. I recently found a box of Broken Flake No 7 in my cave of wonders and it's a one match smoke. No tricks. No weirdness. Not glitchy. Not tricky. Just straightforward good tobacco. Pretty mutch like most Gawith flakes. Damn good stuff IMHO.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Ozark Wizard

PostSubject: Re: SG FVF   Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:06 am

Blackhorse wrote:
I think 5 yrs is about right.  It should be pretty beautiful about now. I recently found a box of Broken Flake No 7 in my cave of wonders and it's a one match smoke. No tricks. No weirdness. Not glitchy. Not tricky. Just straightforward good tobacco. Pretty mutch like most Gawith flakes. Damn good stuff IMHO.

Smoked some of that BBF sample tonight. From 2008?

Yuppers, one match and bliss.... I'll need a box or two of that soon too!
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
JimInks

Registration date : 2012-08-31

PostSubject: Re: SG FVF   Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:09 am

Today, I smoked a bowl of fresh FVF and smoked a bowl of 2009 FVF. The differences are very noticeable. I didn't dry either batch. The fresh FVF tastes like what I'm used to. I have smoked FVF with a couple years of age, but not with seven. The 2009 version was more sugary, dark fruit and citrus sweeter. A little more earthy with a few less grass notes, and a bit smoother. The light spice note was a shade more obvious. Certainly a much deeper, more flavorful smoke. I'll age what I have jarred a little longer than I was planning.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: SG FVF   Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:25 am

Nice. Just as God intended. Age minimizes the negatives and maximizes the positives. Well...in some tobacco blends anyway.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online

PostSubject: Re: SG FVF   Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:01 am

Ozark Wizard wrote:
Lord Guyrox wrote:

I think it was five years old? I can't remember really, but that sounds right. Jim Inks said it is a lot like SJF, and I agree. If that is any reflection of behaviours, then I would suspect that 'fresh' it would require a bit more attention than I give this batch of FVF. Though really, when I load up 'fresh' SJF, I tend to nurse it along, and it burns longer and not as hot.

I'll say this about SG's and Gaw/Ho and Co flakes I've tried to date. Tins, yah, pretty damp. Boxes not so much. I load the flakes broken across the grain at bowl height and loosely twist them in. No real dry time. Hit it with flame and it'll go out eventually, early on. the relight brings it to light and just goes.

Thanks, mate.
Back to top Go down
idbowman

Registration date : 2011-12-19

PostSubject: Re: SG FVF   Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:49 am

I love FVF. I didn't really try it for the first time until a few years ago, but it's top notch. If you're able to get a hold of some aged tins (or, if you have a lot of patience), I would let them age for at least 3 years at a minimum. 7+ makes a world of difference.

I do prefer SJF just a bit, but I'm a firm believer that Perique makes everything better.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fight'n Hampsters

Registration date : 2011-07-28

PostSubject: Re: SG FVF   Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:26 am

Broken record but....

Great Stuff! I've got about 3 lbs of FVF that I jarred in several 8oz masons round about '12 or '13 and 1 lb of BBF jarred at about the same time. I haven't cracked them open yet but now y'all are putting thoughts into my head! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: SG FVF   Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:29 am

Oh right. Those thoughts were there all along, bro. Don't be blaming us fer yer evil ways. Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
WarlockBob

Registration date : 2012-09-30

PostSubject: Re: SG FVF   Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:07 pm

Had a tin of FVF from 2013 that got popped open sometime during the move, or shortly before, so once I got settled and my pipe stuff unboxed and put away, I had to move it to a jar and get it rehydrated, as it was dry as a bone. Sad On the bright side, once I got it to a decent moisture content, it's been an absolute dream to smoke.

I have to agree with everyone on this thread though, it is an absolute booger to get right, but when it is right man does it reward you.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: SG FVF   Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:15 pm

See...I don't think everyone, or even most, or even a majority, etc. are saying it's such a bugger to get right. A few guys say that and then it's pretty much flag waving after that. I've never found it to be so hard to get right. At least, no more hard than most any other VA flake. Care with moisture, consistently rough rubbed, moderately jammed into a bowl of appropriate geometry, the ambient temperature being not too hot outside, puffed with a foolishly greedy cadence, if it starts to gurgle then slow down...you know, just the basics. I know there are fussy flakes out there but I really don't think that this is one.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Fight'n Hampsters

PostSubject: Re: SG FVF   Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:47 pm

Blackhorse wrote:
Oh right. Those thoughts were there all along, bro. Don't be blaming us fer yer evil ways.  Cool

Yeah, your right...who was I kidding!
Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fight'n Hampsters

PostSubject: Re: SG FVF   Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:59 pm

Blackhorse wrote:
See...I don't think everyone, or even most, or even a majority, etc. are saying it's such a bugger to get right. A few guys say that and then it's pretty much flag waving after that. I've never found it to be so hard to get right. At least, no more hard than most any other VA flake.  Care with moisture, consistently rough rubbed, moderately jammed into a bowl of appropriate geometry, the ambient temperature being not too hot outside, puffed with a foolishly greedy cadence, if it starts to gurgle then slow down...you know, just the basics. I know there are fussy flakes out there but I really don't think that this is one.

Would love to get your take:

Do you find it tastes better with the moisture level it has straight out of the tin or do you let it dry before you smoke it?
Back to top Go down
View user profile

SG FVF
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: The Tobacco Jar-
Jump to: