HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Briar Works: Country Lawyer

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Blackhorse

Registration date : 2010-10-23

PostSubject: Briar Works: Country Lawyer   Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:36 am

What rock was I under when this stuff came out?

Ribbon cut, 2 oz, Cigar Leaf Based.

Black Cavendish, Cigar Leaf, Kentucky, Oriental/Turkish, Virginia.

BriarWorks International's Country Lawyer: Spicy and full-bodied.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zeno Marx

Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Briar Works: Country Lawyer   Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:00 pm

I like the presentation and packaging.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: Briar Works: Country Lawyer   Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:57 pm

Totally agree.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Briar Works: Country Lawyer   Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:17 pm

This flew under my radar as well, until just now. Sounds intriguing!

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: Briar Works: Country Lawyer   Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:19 pm

And...no Latakia!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: Briar Works: Country Lawyer   Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:20 pm

Blackhorse wrote:
And...no Latakia!

Yup, works for me!

Cool

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
Fight'n Hampsters

Registration date : 2011-07-28

PostSubject: Re: Briar Works: Country Lawyer   Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:14 pm

I hear this and other BriarWorks blends is made by C&D which makes another cigar blend which I have tried, Habana Daydream. Love the idea of a good cigar blend but have not tried too many. Daydream just bites too much for me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: Briar Works: Country Lawyer   Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:25 pm

In a way it reminds me of the theme surrounding Guendalose, by Low Country...

"...choice Red and Bright Virginias, our own Red Virginia Cavendish, fine Katerini Turkish leaf, a dash of spicy Perique, and exquisite cigar leaf to fashion a blend that readily evokes the flavors of a full-bodied, Nicaraguan cigar."

These are really the only two blends I can think of that claim to be aimed at a cigar smoking experience. I not counting the McClelland blends.

I'm not counting all the blends out there that just contain cigar leaf cause they use it as a flavoring condimental tobacco.

Whatever, I think this will be interesting. Maybe I'll do a side by side with Country Lawyer and Guendalose.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fight'n Hampsters

PostSubject: Re: Briar Works: Country Lawyer   Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:03 pm

Oh yeah, I have also tried McC Dominican Glory. Don't remember if it was maduro or not.  Guess it didn't make that big an impression on me... Embarassed
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: Briar Works: Country Lawyer   Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:36 pm

Yeah, not big on those.  Even the Low Country blend...salty, thin, just not deep or rich enough. That's what I'm hoping the Country Lawyer can supply.

For what these blends claim to be attempting I would lean back to John Patton blends...ambrosia by the bucketful. Cigar Leaf as condimental added to VA, maybe Burley plus Perique and Turkish.  Ah...that Izmir!  For me, his Oriental Dusk, Crossroads and "our" Darkhorse blends are the stuff dreams are made from. IMHO of course.

But Patton's blends are intended to be balanced, in which they shine. The Country Lawyer is supposed to deliver an experience akin to smoking a cigar. So...we'll see.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fight'n Hampsters

PostSubject: Re: Briar Works: Country Lawyer   Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:22 pm

Blackhorse wrote:
Yeah, not big on those.  Even the Low Country blend...salty, thin, just not deep or rich enough. That's what I'm hoping the Country Lawyer can supply.

For what these blends claim to be attempting I would lean back to John Patton blends...ambrosia by the bucketful. Cigar Leaf as condimental added to VA, maybe Burley plus Perique and Turkish.  Ah...that Izmir!  For me, his Oriental Dusk, Crossroads and "our" Darkhorse blends are the stuff dreams are made from. IMHO of course.

But Patton's blends are intended to be balanced, in which they shine. The Country Lawyer is supposed to deliver an experience akin to smoking a cigar. So...we'll see.

Just finished smoking a bowl of his on my lunch break today!!! Storm Front.

Have not had any others of his, but if that is representative of his other work, then wowza!

Is your namesake blend kinda like Storm Front with Latakia?

BTW do you have an idea of when he released Storm Front? Tobacco Review's oldest review is sometime in '13 but I have been smoking since '10 and could have sworn it had been out longer. Hoping it was put out before Feb '07.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: Briar Works: Country Lawyer   Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:30 pm

My namesake blend is nothing like Stormfront plus L. Look at the listing of ingredients to get a better picture.  I came up with the recipe from one of his in which I had the Latakia removed and I had them replace it with Turkish (Izmir). I don't smoke much, if any, Latakia and getting rid of it was the whole point.

Dark Horse is: VA, 2 Burley's, Izmir, Perique & Cigar Leaf. It is based on Patton's' "Soulmate's Kiss".

Storm Front is a blend of Burley's and Cigar Leaf.

You might be thinking of Dark & Stormy, which is Storm Front plus Latakia.

Me? I would prefer that my Dark & Stormy be the drink from the Bahamas which is made by pouring 2 oz of Gosling's Black Seal Rum over crushed ice in a Collins glass and filling it with strong Ginger Beer (which is like primo ginger ale...not any kind of fermented beer). It's a glorious hot weather drink. Just sayin'.

Last edited by Blackhorse on Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fight'n Hampsters

PostSubject: Re: Briar Works: Country Lawyer   Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:42 pm

Blackhorse wrote:
My namesake blend is nothing like Storefront plus L. Look at the listing of ingredients to get a better picture.  I came up with the recipe from one of his in which I had the Latakia removed and I had them replace it with Turkish (Izmir). I don't smoke much, if any, Latakia and getting rid of it was the whole point.

Dark Horse is: VA, 2 Burley's, Izmir, Perique & Cigar Leaf. It is based on Patton's' "Soulmate's Kiss".

Storm Front is a blend of Burley's and Cigar Leaf.

You might be thinking of Dark & Stormy, which is Storm Front plus Latakia.

Me? I would prefer that my Dark & Stormy be the drink from the Bahamas which is made by pouring 2 oz of Gosling's Black Seal Rum over crushed ice in a Collins glass and filling it with strong Ginger Beer (which is like primo ginger ale...not any kind of fermented beer). It's a glorious hot weather drink. Just sayin'.

Good to know. Not a big fan of Latakia.

Re Dark and Stormy: No kidding! I live in KY and have my own version of a dark and stormy that substitutes the ginger beer with a local ginger ale. I have 'em all the time. (too often if you ask the wife. Wink )
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: Briar Works: Country Lawyer   Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:50 pm

I use Reeds Ginger Beer cause it's strong, very gingery and available and sometimes sub in Meyers Dark for the Black Seal. It's all good. Using a slice of lime is also allowed.  lol

But now that it's Fall I'm off the Rum. Tryin'to figure out a good cold weather drink. Thinkin' that maybe a Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Latte with a shot of Wild Turkey 101 would be da bomb. No frost on THAT pumpkin!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: Briar Works: Country Lawyer   Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:12 pm

While perusing the Briarworks blend component descriptions I found several of them much to my tastes. Think only one contained Latakia.

There aren't many reviews on the review site as of yet. A few claimed to be aros.  It would be great to get some more feedback on these.

Cheers,

RR

Last edited by Brewdude on Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: Briar Works: Country Lawyer   Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:13 pm

I agree. I'm awaiting your review with keen interest.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: Briar Works: Country Lawyer   Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:31 pm

Blackhorse wrote:
I agree. I'm awaiting your review with keen interest.

Well, you might be awaiting awhile.

Exclamation

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: Briar Works: Country Lawyer   Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:33 pm

Hmmmm. I thought you said they sounded so good.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: Briar Works: Country Lawyer   Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:54 pm

Blackhorse wrote:
Hmmmm. I thought you said they sounded so good.

That they do, yup. But I'll wait to see some reviews from you or Jim first.

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: Briar Works: Country Lawyer   Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:32 am

So here's a copy of my recent post at the review site.

_________

Country Lawyer

This is unfair on my part but I wanted to get this out there...as it is based on a single bowl...so call it an "initial impression" rather than a review. This blend falls into one of my favorite genres...what I call a Turkish melange. In other words a mix of base plus condimental tobaccos, in this case VA as the base plus Turkish (likely Izmir) and Cigar Leaf. It reminds me of several John Patton blends, notably Crossroads, Oriental Dusk & Darkhorse. The VA is there in ribbon and Flake so the burn is slowed (note: very long burn with a good volume of smoke) and the flavor notes of the Turkish and Cigar Leaf play back and forth. Delightful. Slight salty flavors, a iittle sharp as opposed to round. But yes, the Cigar notes were pretty much ever present. Comes dry and burns well. Although the flavors were evident I didn't feel this was a STRONG blend in that regard. I thought the N level was medium or a bit lower. Not a blend for everyone...but for me, gangbusters. No Latakia! Loved it. Very impressed with the tobaccos used, the jar & the balanced touch. Very nice.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: Briar Works: Country Lawyer   Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:55 am

PS: if anyone was wondering...the jars are true Ball or Mason jars with lid and screw top...lovely addition to be sure. And they are NOT vacuum sealed. 

We're used to Tins being vac sealed. I don't know if I should think of this as tinned (likely not) or bulk (this seems a step up somehow but physically speaking should be thought of as bulk, I guess)) or some new category (jarred?). Whatever it is, I LOVE the jar. Brilliant!

And since this blend comes rather dry (hooray) they have to jam the tobacco in there til it's pretty dang firmly packed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Briar Works: Country Lawyer
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1