HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

On the move...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Blackhorse

Registration date : 2010-10-23

PostSubject: Re: On the move...   Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:42 am

About a dozen times. Started in the Portland, Oregon area...to Eugene, Oregon...bounced in and out of Tacoma, WA, San Antonio, TX & Fayetteville, NC...Southeast Asia...back to Portland....Southeast Alaska...back to Portland, etc. The various times in Portland include moving around to various communities... different parts of that metro area.

I like it green and don't mind rain. I'd trade the moderate climate here and the no bugs environment for sunshine any day of the week. Sunshine will kill you, rain won't... usually. 

Whatever. We typically like what we're used to.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stick

Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: Re: On the move...   Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:39 pm

Blackhorse wrote:
About a dozen times. Started in the Portland, Oregon area...to Eugene, Oregon...bounced in and out of Tacoma, WA, San Antonio, TX & Fayetteville, NC...Southeast Asia...back to Portland....Southeast Alaska...back to Portland, etc. The various times in Portland include moving around to various communities... different parts of that metro area.

I like it green and don't mind rain. I'd trade the moderate climate here and the no bugs environment for sunshine any day of the week. Sunshine will kill you, rain won't... usually. 

Whatever. We typically like what we're used to.

That's a lot of moves BH. Fair point about the rain and I like it green too!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: On the move...   Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:04 pm

Indeed there are certain aspects of the Pacific Northwest forest and valley environments that are engrained into one's psyche and to which one responds on a very deep level.

One is the visual of sunlight seen from beneath a green leafy canopy. It winks and dapples at you and just makes you feel glad.

Another is the smell of a fresh rain...or the pungent aroma of newly exposed forest soil (which, oddly enough is caused by a fungus related to streptomycin...the antibiotic).

How about the amazing adrenaline rush you get AFTER you're nearly scared to death when walking quietly in the woods and you happen upon a hiding China Rooster (pheasant) that explodes out of its hiding place screaming and squawking - about five feet in front of you. 

I guess many other environments have their unique and special tidbits. Sage blooming in the high dessert. Golden sunsets during monsoon season in southeast Asia. The goodness of life depends on how you look at it I guess, no matter where you are.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stick

PostSubject: Re: On the move...   Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:15 am

Spent the whole day dismantling things; beds, trampoline, garden furniture etc and numerous runs to the recycling centre. Boy, I'm looking forward to having all this squared away...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: On the move...   Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:19 pm

Anyone ever use one of these for moving yourself with helpers? Seems like it would be cheap at twice the price, as they say. Wish I'd had one too many times to count. Check out the video.

http://amzn.to/2dva7eB

Hmm...Amazon seems to be selling a knock-off. Maybe one should go to the source:

http://www.forearmforklift.com/index.html
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: On the move...   Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:54 pm

I haven't seen these, but two delivery guys brought in a 600 lb fridge using straps that went around their waists,  as I recall.

I've generally heard that strap carry systems like these and others do a good job.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: On the move...   Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:24 pm

Blackhorse wrote:
I haven't seen these, but two delivery guys brought in a 600 lb fridge using straps that went around their waists,  as I recall.

I've generally heard that strap carry systems like these and others do a good job.

Ya, and I've also seen two big gorillas move pianos like this - up and down stairs even. The music store I used to teach out of had their piano showcase on the 2nd floor and there was no elevator. So they humped the pianos up and down those stairs in just this fashion with the straps over their shoulders. There again they were built like linebackers!

Surprised

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com Online
Stick

PostSubject: Re: On the move...   Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:24 pm

Well, we're in!

80% of the move completed in the first day so we decided to spend our first night in our new build. Probably got 2-3 trips more that are needed to complete the move. Very happy, v excited! Will celebrate with a pipe or cigar later this week when 100% complete.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: On the move...   Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:13 pm

Keep it up, chap. Almost done! cheers
Back to top Go down
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: On the move...   Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:31 pm

Ee, that's champion mate. I'm right chuffed to hear this. Well done Squire, and we'll look forward to pics of the new digs.

Hasta got a semi or detached? Posh neighbourhood? And what about t' local real ale pubs? Up to scratch, are they? Need to have your priorities in a row, tha knows!

tongue

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
Stick

PostSubject: Re: On the move...   Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:18 am

Brewdude wrote:
Ee, that's champion mate. I'm right chuffed to hear this. Well done Squire, and we'll look forward to pics of the new digs.

Hasta got a semi or detached? Posh neighbourhood? And what about t' local real ale pubs? Up to scratch, are they? Need to have your priorities in a row, tha knows!

tongue

Cheers,

RR

It's a detached house , Rande, with a double garage which I've got plans for making into a real man cave; sofa, coffee table, pipe rack, weights bench, rower, and of course my bikes and mountaineering kit.

We're very lucky in that we're situated at the far end of a new development, sharing a private road with two other houses. Our front aspect looks across fields that currently has cows in. Very rural in the 'shire! Pics to follow!

I've not got broadband set up yet so am relying on my phone for everything including activity on the BoB, ergo my attendance may be less frequent.

I will be dropping in though... The Butcher had got me hooked.... the classic Who Dunnit?

Be good everyone!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: On the move...   Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:51 pm

I'll be looking forward to the pics in due course mate. Sounds like an idyllic setting. Including and especially your plan to set up a proper man cave.

Cool

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
Stick

PostSubject: Re: On the move...   Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:24 am

Well, apart from my pipes, 'baccy, and my son's collection of carnivorous plants, we're in! I'll have that squared by lunchtime.  Garage / intended man cave looks like an IED's just gone off in there but we'll soon have that straight.  

Me thinks I'll be having a cigar this evening  cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: On the move...   Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:57 am

Sounds like it's all over but the cryin' and the dyin'. Good show! Many a move I thought of just insuring the lot and giving it all a proper Viking burial........
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stick

PostSubject: Re: On the move...   Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:29 pm

Ozark Wizard wrote:
Sounds like it's all over but the cryin' and the dyin'. Good show! Many a move I thought of just insuring the lot and giving it all a proper Viking burial........

Mate, three days in and I could have happily closed the front door on the old property and not gone back, complete with remaining possessions.

All done now though. Baccy, pipes and plants now safely in the fold.

cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: On the move...   Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:44 pm

Stick wrote:
Ozark Wizard wrote:

Mate, three days in and I could have happily closed the front door on the old property and not gone back, complete with remaining possessions.

All done now though.  Baccy, pipes and plants now safely in the fold.

cheers  

Well done Squire. Now go celebrate with a wee dram and a good smoke!

cheers

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down

On the move...
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2