HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Should cellared tins smell of tobacco?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
ontariopiper

Registration date : 2015-03-10

PostSubject: Re: Should cellared tins smell of tobacco?    Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:54 pm

Zeno Marx wrote:
It is not recommended to heat tobacco when jarring it.  A personal choice thing, but many advise against it.  Makers themselves advise against it.  I believe GLPease wrote a piece about not doing it.  I could be wrong about that, though.

Thanks for the reminder. Smile

To be clear, I heat the jar, not the tobacco. I put the jars in a 200F oven for 20 minutes, just long enough and hot enough to sterilize them. Out comes a jar, in goes the baccy and on goes a lid (which I have boiled briefly to sterilize and soften the seal).

When the jar cools, it creates enough vacuum to seal the lid. This takes 5 minutes tops, so the tobacco is in very little danger of "overcooking".

FWIW to anyone, there's some interesting info on jarring, cellaring and more posted HERE, including comments by GL Pease and other notables. Good read!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.dadspipes.com
Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Should cellared tins smell of tobacco?    Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:02 pm

Zeno Marx wrote:
The seal on tins today is not like yesterday.  Tired of hearing that sort of thing?  Tough.  They really aren't.  I have no idea why.  I've never cared for the cans like McClelland and the big GLPease, but at least I can trust them.  All the smaller ones suck, and not appropriately so.

It is not recommended to heat tobacco when jarring it.  A personal choice thing, but many advise against it.  Makers themselves advise against it.  I believe GLPease wrote a piece about not doing it.  I could be wrong about that, though.

I might be wrong, but it seems you may have interpreted 'canning' them rather than putting them in a thick plastic bag and sucking the air out, then heat-sealing the edge. No heat is applied to the contents. I use it to freeze meats in portions, store jerky, wool fibre, etc. My Foodsaver(tm) also has a cap that goes over the lids of the Ball(tm) jars and sucks the air out, thus creating lesser pressure in the jar and sealing the metal lid. Then you can hand tighten the ring. I personally do not do this to my tobaccos to store them, preferring aerobic fermentation. BUT, a cool trick is to load a gallon jar half full of marshmallows, then start vacuuming out the air. The marshmallows grow and fill the jar!

cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Zeno Marx

Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Should cellared tins smell of tobacco?    Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:24 pm

Ozark Wizard wrote:
Zeno Marx wrote:
The seal on tins today is not like yesterday.  Tired of hearing that sort of thing?  Tough.  They really aren't.  I have no idea why.  I've never cared for the cans like McClelland and the big GLPease, but at least I can trust them.  All the smaller ones suck, and not appropriately so.

I might be wrong, but it seems you may have interpreted 'canning' them rather than putting them in a thick plastic bag and sucking the air out, then heat-sealing the edge. No heat is applied to the contents. I use it to freeze meats in portions, store jerky, wool fibre, etc. My Foodsaver(tm) also has a cap that goes over the lids of the Ball(tm) jars and sucks the air out, thus creating lesser pressure in the jar and sealing the metal lid. Then you can hand tighten the ring. I personally do not do this to my tobaccos to store them, preferring aerobic fermentation. BUT, a cool trick is to load a gallon jar half full of marshmallows, then start vacuuming out the air. The marshmallows grow and fill the jar!
I read above someone using heat to get the top to pop. I was responding to them.

ontariopiper, it's not a matter of overcooking. Any sort of significant heat, regardless of the duration, outside of the pipe of course, is frowned upon. I understand why you would do it, but there is a belief that you shouldn't. Some heat the jar in the microwave. Some boil the jar like in traditional canning and let the glass heat evaporate the remaining water and then drop the tobacco in to get the top to pop. There's all kinds of ways, none of which involve long exposure to heat. all are frowned upon. The recommended process is room temperature tobacco placed in room temperature jars and lids. Then, allowing aerobic fermentation to devour the small bit of remaining air in the jar, and if done right, the top pops in that process as well. Not here to sway. Merely offering the belief that heat in cellaring tobacco is considered a no-no to some. Personally, if I was getting serious about cellaring, I would get a vacuum sealer that worked with jars. No heat. No plastic. All good.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ontariopiper

Registration date : 2015-03-10

PostSubject: Re: Should cellared tins smell of tobacco?    Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:30 am

Thanks for the breakdown, Zeno. Certainly food for thought, and judging by the traffic on this and other forums, the subject enjoys lively debate across the pipe smoking community. Personally, I have a hard time believing that a few minutes in a cooling jar does any real damage to the tobacco, but I'm willing to admit that I'm not always the sharpest tack in the pack either! Very Happy

What I can say with certainty is that my cellar cabinet smells like jars today instead of open tobacco, so I've accomplished what I set out to do when I started this thread. I'll take that victory! cheers

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.dadspipes.com

PostSubject: Re: Should cellared tins smell of tobacco?    Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:17 pm

Ozark Wizard wrote:
Here is something an older gentleman suggested to me a while back.

He preferred to keep his tins unmolested, so to tell if their seals were compromised, he took to using a food saver vacuum sealer over the tins. A few, mostly the square tins, would lose seal, and with the fermentation going on, the seal bags would not be tight on the tins any longer when he would check his cellar. Those he would either smoke or put in canning jars for longer term storage. I have taken to doing that to my rectangle and square tins, as they tend to leak anyway. Also, some of the larger square tins, (i.e. Rattray, Peterson, Larsen, etc, have lovely tins, but the tobacco is in a wimpy cellophane type bag just folded over and taped for a seal. Those I jar up, but I think I have a couple that I just Vacu-sealed and tossed the whole kit-and-caboodle in the sock drawer. No smell, and didn't crush the weed. It's a thought...........  

Ok....so, let me get this straight, as I have a fair quantity of rectangular and square tins.

If there is a leak in the vacuum, then I would be able to open the tin with my hands without major resistance, right?
Back to top Go down
Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Should cellared tins smell of tobacco?    Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:09 pm

Pretty much..................
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online

Should cellared tins smell of tobacco?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2