HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Billiard or Dublin - Which for What?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
TheLowlyApprentice

Registration date : 2016-02-14

PostSubject: Billiard or Dublin - Which for What?   Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:55 pm

I think I've read that a large billiard or a pot was the best pipe for English/Balkan blends, but I've not read anything about the Dublin and was wondering if what I think I've read about billiards and pots was correct and what are the best tobaccos to smoke in a Dublin.

Any thoughts?

TLA
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Billiard or Dublin - Which for What?   Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:10 pm

I know many think shape dictates what sort of tobacco is smoked but, in my opinion I don't see where it matters. I smoke what I want out of any dad burn pipe I want and it does fine. Although I do find that a very few pipes no matter how there shaped outside or chamber like a certain tobacco over another. And I don't see the chamber shape dictating it when I have two of a like pipes favoring two different tobaccos and I'm unsure really why. That's just my take on it, I'm sure some will disagree cause our taste buds differ along with opinions. Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
leacha

Registration date : 2014-01-08

PostSubject: Re: Billiard or Dublin - Which for What?   Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:26 pm

^^^^^^ What Cart says!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Billiard or Dublin - Which for What?   Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:52 pm

Can't really add anything as Ron said it all.

Cool

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com Online
Cartaphilus

PostSubject: Re: Billiard or Dublin - Which for What?   Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:32 pm

Gees! This can't be happening! There's gotta be someone out there that wants to disagree with me.
I know your out there so Olly, olly, oxen free!, come out, come out wherever you are!
Back to top Go down
alandadp

Registration date : 2013-04-29

PostSubject: Re: Billiard or Dublin - Which for What?   Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:36 am

Brewdude wrote:
Can't really add anything as Ron said it all.

Cool

Cheers,

RR

+1
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stick

Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Billiard or Dublin - Which for What?   Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:13 am

Cartaphilus wrote:
Gees! This can't be happening! There's gotta be someone out there that wants to disagree with me.
I know your out there so Olly, olly, oxen free!, come out, come out wherever you are!

I disagree. Suspect Perhaps there isn't anyone who disagrees. alien
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stick

PostSubject: Re: Billiard or Dublin - Which for What?   Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:21 am

....but back on track...

I think I would need to be a connessuer of many years experience before I could differentiate the effect of different pipes on a single baccy. I'm just not there yet so I pick a pipe according to my whim and choose what baccy I have a hankering for at that moment.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

PostSubject: Re: Billiard or Dublin - Which for What?   Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:09 pm

Stick wrote:
Cartaphilus wrote:

I disagree. Suspect  Perhaps there isn't anyone who disagrees. alien

About time you showed up! Suspect
Back to top Go down
Stick

PostSubject: Re: Billiard or Dublin - Which for What?   Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:04 am

Cartaphilus wrote:
Stick wrote:
Cartaphilus wrote:

I disagree. Suspect  Perhaps there isn't anyone who disagrees. alien

About time you showed up! Suspect

Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AJ

Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Billiard or Dublin - Which for What?   Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:51 pm

I think pipe shape does make a difference where flakes are concerned. Folding and stuffing flakes seem to smoke best in a pot shaped pipe but if they're rubbed out it seems to me that they smoke great in any shape available. So am I agreeing or disagreeing? I'm not sure. Smile

AJ
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

PostSubject: Re: Billiard or Dublin - Which for What?   Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:18 pm

ajn27511 wrote:
I think pipe shape does make a difference where flakes are concerned. Folding and stuffing flakes seem to smoke best in a pot shaped pipe but if they're rubbed out it seems to me that they smoke great in any shape available. So am I agreeing or disagreeing? I'm not sure. Smile

AJ

I rub out everything, even Bull Durham before I smoke it, so ya see , your agreeing AJ. Wink
Back to top Go down
AJ

PostSubject: Re: Billiard or Dublin - Which for What?   Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:34 pm

Cartaphilus wrote:
ajn27511 wrote:

AJ

I rub out everything, even Bull Durham before I smoke it, so ya see , your agreeing AJ. Wink

You know you and I agreeing could lead to a calamity. Rolling Eyes

AJ
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

PostSubject: Re: Billiard or Dublin - Which for What?   Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:29 pm

ajn27511 wrote:
Cartaphilus wrote:
ajn27511 wrote:

AJ

You know you and I agreeing could lead to a calamity. Rolling Eyes

AJ

As long as I keep NOT being notified of answers to my posts and watched threads I doubt there'll be any problems sir.

And hell! Who knows I might even make a filtered pipe someday.
Back to top Go down
AJ

PostSubject: Re: Billiard or Dublin - Which for What?   Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:46 pm

Cartaphilus wrote:
As long as I keep NOT being notified of answers to my posts and watched threads I doubt there'll be any problems sir.

lol!  lol!  lol!

You want a commission? I'm ready if you are? bounce

AJ
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

PostSubject: Re: Billiard or Dublin - Which for What?   Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:09 pm

ajn27511 wrote:
Cartaphilus wrote:

lol!  lol!  lol!

AJ

I said MIGHT! Let me get making standard unfiltered ones right first. When I feel comfortable with them then and only then will I try. Wink
Back to top Go down
AJ

PostSubject: Re: Billiard or Dublin - Which for What?   Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:24 pm

Cartaphilus wrote:
ajn27511 wrote:
Cartaphilus wrote:

lol!  lol!  lol!

AJ

I said MIGHT! Let me get making standard unfiltered ones right first. When I feel comfortable with them then and only then will I try. Wink

Gotcha! But I can still dream. Sleep

AJ
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KevinM

Registration date : 2012-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Billiard or Dublin - Which for What?   Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:26 pm

I think the theory is that a wide shallow bowl is preferred for English and other tobaccos that have the potential to deliver a lot of taste, given a conducive environment. The larger smoldering surface area awaits to please the smoker, it's said. Taller, narrower bowls are said to be well suited to a hot-burning Virginia, because there's less surface and, therefore, less heat.Part of the choice also depends on matching the tobacco cut -- coarse or fine -- to the size of the chamber.  Ahem. I generally employ this theory in first smokes, just to give the individual briar an opportunity to make its own preference known. Many times the briar in question will be unacquainted with the theory and may follow some contrarian path. I keep amakeshift diary to track how particular pipes perform with different cuts and blends. This allows me to choose either a pipe or tobacco and match it up based on experience. IMHO this delivers more pleasing results than following a rigid pipe rotation which may impose an unnecessary order that can compromise whatever smoking whim I'm feeling at the moment. Your own experience and smoking observations will be your best guide. You can make almost anything work. Decades ago, when I first started down the pipers' path, I was mismatching small bowled pipes with coarse cut aros. I wondered why it was so hard to keep them lit and the experience bordered on painful. Then the light bulb went on.

P.S. Dubs sometimes have sharply tapered chambers. Billiards -- and especially pots -  have "squarer" chambers, which have the potential to affect the smolder as it nears the bottom. I think sharply tapered chambers are more likely to get damp at the bottom. YMMV.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Billiard or Dublin - Which for What?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1