HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 
 

 Question about nicotine-shy or nicotine-free English blends

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
forsooth

avatar

Registration date : 2011-01-12

PostSubject: Question about nicotine-shy or nicotine-free English blends   Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:00 pm

Nicotine and I do not get along at all. A few puffs of tobacco containing nicotine sends me into a death spiral. Thus, I am an aromatic lover (RLP-6, 1-Q, etc,).

That being said, I'd love to venture into some English blends that are nicotine-shy, if they exist.

How about Frog Morton Cellar or C&D Sweet English or McClelland 5110? How are they on nicotine?

Thanks for any help or suggestions.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

avatar

Age : 63
Location : East Texas
Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Question about nicotine-shy or nicotine-free English blends   Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:06 pm

Well, I would suggest Straus Tobacconist's "Union Terminal", it's a real smooth English blend almost aromatic to me.
There in Ohio I believe and have a website but, you'll have to call them to order.

Here's some reviews of it :Union Terminal
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
forsooth

avatar

Registration date : 2011-01-12

PostSubject: Re: Question about nicotine-shy or nicotine-free English blends   Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:17 pm

Cartaphilus wrote:
Well, I would suggest Straus Tobacconist's "Union Terminal", it's a real smooth English blend almost aromatic to me.
There in Ohio I believe and have a website but, you'll have to call them to order.

Here's some reviews of it :Union Terminal

Thanks for the tip, I'll follow up on that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

avatar

Age : 65
Location : Near the Emerald city
Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Question about nicotine-shy or nicotine-free English blends   Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:07 pm

IMHO, most English blends are somewhat low in the nic-dept. With the exception of a few like Nightcap, Billy Budd, and others. I'm also one of those who doesn't get along well with Lady Nic!

As always, YMMV as we all have different tolerances.



Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
forsooth

avatar

Registration date : 2011-01-12

PostSubject: Re: Question about nicotine-shy or nicotine-free English blends   Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:20 pm

Brewdude wrote:
IMHO, most English blends are somewhat low in the nic-dept. With the exception of a few like Nightcap, Billy Budd, and others. I'm also one of those who doesn't get along well with Lady Nic!

Interesting! I've somehow developed the belief that most popular English blends are riddled with nicotine. Hmmm...

Thanks for the clarification!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

avatar

Age : 63
Location : East Texas
Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Question about nicotine-shy or nicotine-free English blends   Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:29 pm

forsooth wrote:
Brewdude wrote:
IMHO, most English blends are somewhat low in the nic-dept. With the exception of a few like Nightcap, Billy Budd, and others. I'm also one of those who doesn't get along well with Lady Nic!

Interesting!  I've somehow developed the belief that most popular English blends are riddled with nicotine.  Hmmm...

Thanks for the clarification!

Like BD said, out tolerances are all different and what one might feel is weak and another may feel as strong.
Dunhill 965 to me is a full flavored English blend with a bit of a kick yet not much nicotine at all while what I mentioned to you is very mild to me and no nicotine that I can discern but, good just the same. Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
forsooth

avatar

Registration date : 2011-01-12

PostSubject: Re: Question about nicotine-shy or nicotine-free English blends   Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:51 pm

Cartaphilus wrote:
Dunhill 965 to me is a full flavored English blend with a bit of a kick yet not much nicotine at all while what I mentioned to you is very mild to me and no nicotine that I can discern but, good just the same. Wink

What gives Dunhill 965 the kick if it is not nicotine?  I thought "kick" and "nicotine power" were essentially the same.

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

avatar

Location : North Coast NY
Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Question about nicotine-shy or nicotine-free English blends   Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:10 pm

forsooth wrote:

...What gives Dunhill 965 the kick if it is not nicotine?  I thought "kick" and "nicotine power" were essentially the same.

I think that Cart in this context was alluding to richness and density of smoke, if I may put words into his mouth. If I remember correctly, the original Frogmorton is quite light in nicotine also, one of the reasons it's not a particular favorite with latakia/oriental junkies. I like it a lot but just haven't had it in a while, even though my cache is full of it. Latakia, by the way, is quite mild, belying its heavy taste and aroma.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

avatar

Age : 71
Location : DFW Metroplex, Texas
Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Question about nicotine-shy or nicotine-free English blends   Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:44 pm

forsooth wrote:
Nicotine and I do not get along at all.  A few puffs of tobacco containing nicotine sends me into a death spiral. ....

How do you smoke any tobacco ? ALL tobacco contains nicotene. It's a primary ingredient produced by the leaf !! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse
Moderator
avatar

Age : 70
Location : Oregon City
Registration date : 2010-10-23

PostSubject: Re: Question about nicotine-shy or nicotine-free English blends   Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:16 am

So here's what I did. I pulled up the Tobacco Reviews site and opened their search function. Then I clicked on adding more search fields...selected mild and very mild for strength and picked Latakia for the one component to search for in terms of tobaccos. Hey, it's a start. 

21 blends came up. Anyway, play with the search engine a bit on your own & see if you can track down something.

____________________

It lists Maker - Blend - Rating - Mean Score - Blend Type - Strength

BBB - Scottish Mixture3 2.3ScottishVery Mild
Burlington on Whyte Tobacconist - Donnybrook1 3.0EnglishVery Mild
Castello - Old Antiquari2 2.0EnglishVery Mild
Cornell & Diehl - Latakia6 4.0OtherVery Mild
E. A. Carey - Castle Blend2 3.5EnglishVery Mild
H. Simmons - Navy Mixture1 2.0Very Mild
James Barber - James's Blend1 2.0AromaticVery Mild
James Barber - Special Brew1 3.0OtherVery Mild
Kohlhase, Kopp und Co. KG - Ser Jacopo English Mixture1 2.0OtherVery Mild
McClelland - Ringlow - Syrian Reserve (Club Blends)9 2.8AmericanVery Mild
Middle Earth Tobacco - Fangorn Forest1 4.0EnglishExtremely Mild
Mike & Russ: The Mind Meld - Sweet English3 2.3EnglishVery Mild
Peter Weinig - Nr. 33 (World of Taste)1 4.0EnglishVery Mild
Pfeifen Huber - English No 151 2.0Very Mild
PipesWorld - Old Spook English1 2.0Very Mild
Sutliff Tobacco Company - Burma Road2 3.0AromaticVery Mild
Sutliff Tobacco Company - H. Gray RCAF2 2.5AromaticVery Mild
The Smoke Shop - Seminar1 4.0Very Mild
Torben Dansk - No.4 English Mixture4 3.0Very Mild
Uhle's - Non Pareil1 2.0EnglishVery Mild
Vauen - No. 22 English Blend & Vanilla1 3.0EnglishVery Mild

_________________
Council Member, Trading Post & General Site Moderator.

Founding BoB Bombers Squadron Commander, Ret.
BoB Bombers Squadron Reserve CoCommander reactivated. 
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
idbowman

avatar

Age : 35
Location : Painesville, OH
Registration date : 2011-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Question about nicotine-shy or nicotine-free English blends   Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:56 am

I think you should be fairly safe in teh world of Englishes as long as you're looking for blends that are primarily Latakia and Virginia.

As far as I can tell, the nicotine punch tends to come from blends that incorporate perique, burley, and cigar leaf.


But that's coming from me - a guy who's nicotine tolerance runs awfully high these days, so it might not mean a whole lot.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
forsooth

avatar

Registration date : 2011-01-12

PostSubject: Re: Question about nicotine-shy or nicotine-free English blends   Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:22 am

Blackhorse wrote:
So here's what I did. I pulled up the Tobacco Reviews site and opened their search function. Then I clicked on adding more search fields...selected mild and very mild for strength and picked Latakia for the one component to search for in terms of tobaccos. Hey, it's a start. 

21 blends came up. Anyway, play with the search engine a bit on your own & see if you can track down something...

Thanks for your time and work!!! I will follow up with the search technique and the list you gathered! AAMOF, I took the idea and remembered the "tobacco locator" button at smokingpipes.com and was able to come up with some pretty good ideas also.

(BTW, per your pen and ink -- Lately, I've been using my Platinum Crystal Cool (I think it is called) with J.Herbin's Vert Empire.)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
forsooth

avatar

Registration date : 2011-01-12

PostSubject: Re: Question about nicotine-shy or nicotine-free English blends   Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:31 am

idbowman wrote:
I think you should be fairly safe in teh world of Englishes as long as you're looking for blends that are primarily Latakia and Virginia.

As far as I can tell, the nicotine punch tends to come from blends that incorporate perique, burley, and cigar leaf.

Well, thanks for that! That is a good general guide. One of my erroneous assumptions was that Latakia contained lots of nicotine.

I know that nicotine is not a harmful substance, just a stimulant like caffeine, and is probably actually beneficial in the same way, so I envy pipe smokers who are nicotine-tolerant. I still remember the day I tried Haunted Bookshop -- it put me in bed for a good half-hour.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse
Moderator
avatar

Age : 70
Location : Oregon City
Registration date : 2010-10-23

PostSubject: Re: Question about nicotine-shy or nicotine-free English blends   Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:22 pm

forsooth - have you tried any of the J Herbin 1670 Anniversary inks? With the gold sheen? Not the easiest to work with, but a dip pen can really make them shine. I have the Rouge and Emerald and would love to get the newest color...Caroube.

http://www.jetpens.com/J.-Herbin-Caroube-de-Chypre-Ink-1670-Anniversary-50-ml-Bottle/pd/17537?gclid=Cj0KEQjw7Ne_BRDRmP2ojKfzv98BEiQAPuqPyekWR2QAyZWulEadcmQWUsXsdHuBWF03GAojsZUMGBcaAgQq8P8HAQ

_________________
Council Member, Trading Post & General Site Moderator.

Founding BoB Bombers Squadron Commander, Ret.
BoB Bombers Squadron Reserve CoCommander reactivated. 
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
forsooth

avatar

Registration date : 2011-01-12

PostSubject: Re: Question about nicotine-shy or nicotine-free English blends   Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:48 pm

Blackhorse wrote:
forsooth - have you tried any of the J Herbin 1670 Anniversary inks? With the gold sheen? Not the easiest to work with, but a dip pen can really make them shine. I have the Rouge and Emerald and would love to get the newest color...Caroube.

I love the 1670 Anniversary series.  Don't have any yet (I have about 40 bottles of ink, plus my mixings).  But I was planning on treating myself this Christmas to some, nonetheless.

Thanks for the heads-up on the Caroube - seems to be a beautiful brownish, reddish, dark leatherish color.  I was going to start with the Stormy Grey, but may very well change my mind...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse
Moderator
avatar

Age : 70
Location : Oregon City
Registration date : 2010-10-23

PostSubject: Re: Question about nicotine-shy or nicotine-free English blends   Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:11 pm

Several of the reviews I've read credit the new brown with showing more of the gold fleck. But the Emerald is just crazy. 

I use it in a couple of my cheap but delightful Pilot pens with a stub nib and it's way too much fun. But generally I use the Iroshizuku and various Noodlers ink in my better pens...the Platinum, Lamy 2K & Namiki Falcon.

_________________
Council Member, Trading Post & General Site Moderator.

Founding BoB Bombers Squadron Commander, Ret.
BoB Bombers Squadron Reserve CoCommander reactivated. 
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
 
Question about nicotine-shy or nicotine-free English blends
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» Need Dairy Free Milk in Katy, TX (Houston)
» Chapter 6 - The Arrival Of The English Police
» Looking to donate Dairy/Soy free milk in Nashville
» Texts from Files Originally in English
» British dad currently in Zambia trying to get his two boys home. HELP NEEDED URGENTLY!!!!!

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: The Tobacco Jar-
Jump to: