HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Hurricane Matthew

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Hurricane Matthew   Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:02 pm

All you BoBers that may be affected by this event, stay safe and hunker down. Evacuate if it's necessary, and have plenty of emergency provisions on hand if you choose to stay. Check in when and if you can. This looks like a nasty one.

No

No Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Hurricane Matthew   Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:23 pm

Bah! Stay home. You probably can't smoke in the emergency shelters.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Timbo

Registration date : 2015-01-18

PostSubject: Re: Hurricane Matthew   Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:03 am

Stay safe people, my thoughts and prayers go out to you guys.

Bunker down

Tim
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kitobi

Registration date : 2015-05-30

PostSubject: Re: Hurricane Matthew   Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:03 pm

just reading the news Haiti got hammered hard 300+ dead

I hope you guys are all ok, stay safe.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
kitobi

Registration date : 2015-05-30

PostSubject: Re: Hurricane Matthew   Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:18 pm

wow now over 800 dead, I hope it starts to loose some power as its hits land.

my thoughts and prayers are with you all
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GeoffC

Registration date : 2011-10-23

PostSubject: Re: Hurricane Matthew   Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:43 pm

Was planning to go to Cape Lookout on the noon ferry Saturday. All the crazy paths, Cape Lookout did a mandatory evacuation order Wednesday. Camped there many years ago when unbeknownst to me a hurricane passed between NC and Bermuda. The surge hit and we pulled the trucks up a on sand dune. Next morning high tide had water just below the door on the slide in camper. We rescheduled for the 29th. Colder weather prolly make better drum fishing.

Stay safe and dry folks!
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://geoffcorey.github.io
Stick

Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Hurricane Matthew   Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:43 pm

Well put fellas.

I've been following this on the Beeb. Looks a bigun'. Stay safe chaps.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AJ

Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Hurricane Matthew   Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:36 pm

So far all we've had in the Raleigh area is rain. It began during the night and has continued as the outer bands come through. According to the weather forecast the Wilmington area is going to catch the brunt of the storm as the eye moves very close to the coast but then it's predicted that it will turn away and begin moving towards the east southeast before taking a more southernly course. I believe it is supposed to come nearest our coast early Saturday evening. Here in the Raleigh area we're expecting to get somewhere between 5 to 8 inches of rain during the next 48 hours with most of it coming during the last 18 hours. Our winds could be between 30 to 50 mph providing the storm doesn't move towards the west beyond the predicted track. The people on the coast will have much more rain and considerably higher winds. Our coast and outer banks are not a pleasant place to be during a hurricane. pale

AJ
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pepesdad1

Registration date : 2013-03-03

PostSubject: Hurricane Matthew    Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:42 pm

Fortunately the storm stayed true to its projected path leaving those of us in the Big Bend part of Florida untouched.  If it comes back around again...could be a different story.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: Hurricane Matthew   Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:55 pm

ajn27511 wrote:
So far all we've had in the Raleigh area is rain. It began during the night and has continued as the outer bands come through. According to the weather forecast the Wilmington area is going to catch the brunt of the storm as the eye moves very close to the coast but then it's predicted that it will turn away and begin moving towards the east southeast before taking a more southernly course. I believe it is supposed to come nearest our coast early Saturday evening. Here in the Raleigh area we're expecting to get somewhere between 5 to 8 inches of rain during the next 48 hours with most of it coming during the last 18 hours. Our winds could be between 30 to 50 mph providing the storm doesn't move towards the west beyond the predicted track. The people on the coast will have much more rain and considerably higher winds. Our coast and outer banks are not a pleasant place to be during a hurricane. pale

AJ

Sounds pretty serious to me AJ. Stay safe amigo!

Shocked

pepesdad1 wrote:
Fortunately the storm stayed true to its projected path leaving those of us in the Big Bend part of Florida untouched.  If it comes back around again...could be a different story.

Happy to hear you're out of harm's way Walt. For now!

National news just reported that Matthew is now reaching into SC low country, and all that means to our friends there. Stay safe my brothers and sisters!

Surprised

Cheers,

RR

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
riff raff

Registration date : 2011-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Hurricane Matthew   Sat Oct 08, 2016 3:51 pm

I'm glad the brothers stayed safe. My friends in FL all fared well, thankfully.

I was supposed to put a new entry door on my garage today, but decided with the storm approaching, I better take off and do it Friday. I did the prep work on Thursday night and decided to check out our sump pump as well (it is hardly ever needed/used) and our outdoor basement entry drain. I cleared the drain with a rubber bladder (they work great!) but the water that went into the sump pump well did not pump out. Oh-oh. Yep, pump was toast, it just hummed. A quick trip to Sears and I swapped it out for a better pump (it had a lifetime warranty from Sears). Did the door yesterday, including trim and paint and popped in the new sump pump. What at day, but better to be prepared, right?

Hopefully everyone else is dry.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AJ

PostSubject: Re: Hurricane Matthew   Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:27 pm

We survived with only a short 5 1/2 hours without power Saturday afternoon. We had a total of 9 inches of rain. We were blessed but sadly 7 people in our state lost their lives due to the storm. Some areas registered as much as 19 inches of rain and now many creeks and rivers are breaking historical records with rising flood waters. Damage to homes and property has all ready exceeded 6 billion dollars and continues to rapidly rise. Some people that evacuated the coast and went inland found themselves in motels that were being flooded during the night and this morning requiring them to be rescued by volunteers with boats. While wind damage is significant it's minor compared to the effect of the flooding. There's extensive flooding from Raleigh all the way to the coast. It's really sad to see that so many have lost all they owned except their lives and the rivers are still rising and some areas have small earthen dams that are about to fail. So it's not over yet. Hopefully no one else will lose their life.  Sad

AJ
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kaitlyn3837

Registration date : 2013-05-14

PostSubject: Re: Hurricane Matthew   Sun Oct 09, 2016 3:33 pm

Thank you for the update on NC, AJ. It is sad that so many have lost so much.

Greenville, SC remained really calm. Had some rain Friday afternoon, rain Saturday 3am-5am, then by the afternoon it had cleared up and it was sunny. We had many, many evacuees from Charleston and Myrtle Beach. I know many were planning to head back today but a couple of friends that stayed there are saying none of the roads are open yet. People are being turned away and it has actually turned into a tense situation between local law enforcement, National Guard, and the evacuees trying to get back in. I hope everyone still stays safe, there are still a lot of dangers!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stick

PostSubject: Re: Hurricane Matthew   Sun Oct 09, 2016 3:57 pm

ajn27511 wrote:
We survived with only a short 5 1/2 hours without power Saturday afternoon. We had a total of 9 inches of rain. We were blessed but sadly 7 people in our state lost their lives due to the storm. Some areas registered as much as 19 inches of rain and now many creeks and rivers are breaking historical records with rising flood waters. Damage to homes and property has all ready exceeded 6 billion dollars and continues to rapidly rise. Some people that evacuated the coast and went inland found themselves in motels that were being flooded during the night and this morning requiring them to be rescued by volunteers with boats. While wind damage is significant it's minor compared to the effect of the flooding. There's extensive flooding from Raleigh all the way to the coast. It's really sad to see that so many have lost all they owned except their lives and the rivers are still rising and some areas have small earthen dams that are about to fail. So it's not over yet. Hopefully no one else will lose their life.  Sad

AJ

Very sad to read this AJ, but of course pleased to learn you're ok. I just hope folks have got insurance that is fit for this purpose. Whilst it'll never replace the sentimental items in one's life, it'll at least keep folks on their feet.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: Hurricane Matthew   Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:49 pm

Hard to hear of these situations, but relieved that a few of you in the path have escaped unharmed. I can't imagine going through something like this!

Shocked

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
AJ

PostSubject: Re: Hurricane Matthew   Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:23 pm

Stick wrote:

Very sad to read this AJ, but of course pleased to learn you're ok.  I just hope folks have got insurance that is fit for this purpose.  Whilst it'll never replace the sentimental items in one's life, it'll at least keep folks on their feet.

Sadly a good many of the victims live in areas that are rarely subjected to flooding so they haven't purchased Flood Insurance. Sad

AJ
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hermit

Registration date : 2008-04-22

PostSubject: Re: Hurricane Matthew   Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:00 pm

ajn27511 wrote:
Stick wrote:

Very sad to read this AJ, but of course pleased to learn you're ok.  I just hope folks have got insurance that is fit for this purpose.  Whilst it'll never replace the sentimental items in one's life, it'll at least keep folks on their feet.

Sadly a good many of the victims live in areas that are rarely subjected to flooding so they haven't purchased Flood Insurance. Sad

AJ

The less you need it, the cheaper it is.
I'd have to live on top of a big 'ol hill before I'd go without flood insurance. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AJ

PostSubject: Re: Hurricane Matthew   Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:03 am

Will the tragedies ever cease? 8 dead and five missing. It's expected that all the rivers will crest today. Waters will receed and then the realization of loss and destruction must be faced. Tarheels are a tough people. They don't run when facing adversity. They stand like they're stuck in place by tar on their heels. We'll get through this and be stronger for it. king

AJ
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Hurricane Matthew   Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:57 am

Best wishes for all there. My prayers and thoughts for all...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stick

PostSubject: Re: Hurricane Matthew   Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:52 pm

Gosh AJ, that's tough reading. Thoughts for you all friend.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AJ

PostSubject: Re: Hurricane Matthew   Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:16 pm

I'm sincere is saying all of your thoughts and prayers are deeply appreciated however the news continues to worsen. 2 more have lost their lives as a result of the storm bringing the total to 10 and 5 missing. A levee has burst this morning in Lumberton causing 1500 more people to be evacuated.
FYI Lumberton is a few miles south of Fayetteville. It's now being reported that one of the major rivers that is already several feet above flood stage will not crest before Wednesday. Nothing we can do but take it on the chin and keep swinging. Rolling Eyes

AJ
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: Hurricane Matthew   Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:25 pm

Sad to hear about this AJ. Hope the worst is behind, yet your report of the burst Levee in Lumberton as well as the rivers not cresting until Wed does not seem like a secure situation. I pray everyone in harm's way gets to a safe location until the danger has passed.

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
AJ

PostSubject: Re: Hurricane Matthew   Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:54 am

14 confirmed deaths attributed to Hurricane Mathew in NC and the water is still rising. 10 of those deaths came as people tried driving through flooded roads. Sad

AJ
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AJ

PostSubject: Re: Hurricane Matthew   Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:13 pm

Another person has failed to heed the warning about driving through water and he and his car were swept towards a creek and the man drowned bringing the death toll to 19. Sad

AJ
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GeoffC

Registration date : 2011-10-23

PostSubject: Re: Hurricane Matthew   Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:03 am

Post satellite Matthew of outer banks. Checki out North Topsail. Several houses were condemned last year because the screwed up dredging. Looks a lot worse now.

Cape Lookout point looks like it got lopped off and the north part of South Core is done. High tide goes all the way to the access road. Should be an interesting fishing trip out there for me on Oct 29th.

http://storms.ngs.noaa.gov/storms/matthew/index.html
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://geoffcorey.github.io

Hurricane Matthew
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next