HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Hurricane Matthew

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
GeoffC

Registration date : 2011-10-23

PostSubject: Re: Hurricane Matthew   Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:08 am

This gives you some idea of how much water is moving through the area

https://twitter.com/keelyjolene/status/785685156002689024
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://geoffcorey.github.io
puros_bran
Nightrider

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Hurricane Matthew   Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:29 am

I spent a lot of time in Whitakers NC back in the 90's. I think it was Fran that hit us the worse...Floyd cost more lives, 35 or there about, but Fran wiped us out. We had 4-5 ft standing water everywhere and the swamp just couldn't drink it all. The waters were deep enough, long enough that we lost every tractor and every trailer at the YTL Yard and we weren't alone...all those houses destroyed, all that lost life.
It's heartbreaking when this type stuff happens. You'd think the older one got the easier news like this would be to deal with..

I'm glad you made it AJ, Geoff, and any of the other BoBs out there.
I don't have much more to say on the matter.

AJ

Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Hurricane Matthew   Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:46 pm

puros_bran wrote:
I spent a lot of time in Whitakers NC back in the 90's.  I think it was Fran that hit us the worse...Floyd cost more lives, 35 or there about, but Fran wiped us out. We had 4-5 ft standing water everywhere and the swamp just couldn't drink it all. The waters were deep enough, long enough that we lost every tractor and every trailer at the YTL Yard and we weren't alone...all those houses destroyed, all that lost life.
It's heartbreaking when this type stuff happens. You'd think the older one got the easier news like this would be to deal with..

I'm glad you made it AJ, Geoff, and any of the other BoBs out there.  
I don't have much more to say on the matter.

Your kind remarks are much appreciated. I remember Floyd and Fran and all the destruction that that caused so much grief. Today people are once again suffering from the destruction and from the loss of life. The death toll from Hurricane Mathew in NC has now reached 24. Some have died while trying to save others. Some rivers are still rising and won't crest before Saturday. New locations are being flooded and more and more people are being forced from their homes and businesses. Raw sewage has contaminated much of the flood waters making them very dangerous to anyone that comes in contact with them. However heroic acts are becoming commonplace but that's not surprising, good neighbors are treasured like family in NC. Smile

AJ
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kitobi

Registration date : 2015-05-30

PostSubject: Re: Hurricane Matthew   Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:32 pm

that twitter pic certainly makes a point better than any write-ups you read in the daily MSN feed

stay safe
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Hurricane Matthew
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2