HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

A philosophical quandary

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Vito

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: A philosophical quandary   Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:07 pm

Let's suppose for a moment that a brothah had gotten into the Sauvignon Blanc, a goodly supply of Jarlsberg, a wedge of some nice, ripe Stilton, and some multi-grain crackers, and what with one thing leading to another (including the evening dose of Fiorinal + Aspirin + Acetaminophen + Oxycodone), said brothah happened to get a hankerin' for a big, fat maple-frosted buttermilk donut. And let's further suppose that said supply of Sauvignon Blanc could be characterized as...uh, "free-flowing". Here's the resultant philosophical quandary:
  • Would it be reasonable to assume that said brothah's determination to satiate his donutary lust was attributable to the effects of the Sauvignon Blancular inebriation? Indeed...would it be fair to characterize it as a chemically induced momentary lapse of reason?
However you cut it, I gotta admit...if this were the worst kinda prollem that a brothah had to solve, you could make a case that world isn't such a terribly focked-up place after all.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.vitotuxedo.com/VitoSpace/Home/=index.html
Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: A philosophical quandary   Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:05 am

Yes
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Carlos
Admin

PostSubject: Re: A philosophical quandary   Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:38 am

In my case. Not inebriation. Hyperglycemia would be more likely the cause. Vicious cycle of feeling hungry and thirsty.

"Never turn your back on a Breen".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Puff Daddy

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: A philosophical quandary   Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:20 am

Does Dunkin Donuts deliver? Maybe an Amazon dot com drone and pay for the express delivery?  The the vino can just keep a' flowin drunken

puros_bran
Nightrider

PostSubject: Re: A philosophical quandary   Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:28 am

The wrath of the grape does not mix well with the Government Sanctioned Purified Heroine Tablet.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stick

Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: Re: A philosophical quandary   Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:59 am

I would say that however the Brothah got there, don't fight it, embrace it. Doughnuts are our friends.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vito

PostSubject: Re: A philosophical quandary   Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:24 pm

Carlos: I wasn't really being serious. In fact, the post itself undoubtedly reflects the effects of the vino.

Actually, your guess would be a good one if I were regularly chomping maple frosted donuts or other high-sugar squaafftt...or even if I did it only occasionally in short bursts of high-sugar intake that send me into hyperglycemia, followed by a hypoglycemic crash. Ditto for accompanying dehydration.

But that's not the case here. I sip water and drink tea throughout the day, and my sugar intake yesterday was limited to a slice of pannetone (Italian holiday cake) with my morning coffee. Not an especially sugary concoction to begin with, and in any case any hyper/hypoglycemic cycling prolly would have run its course by evening, when I posted. Plus, I occasionally suck on a stick of cinnamon bark off and on throughout the day, which tends to moderate any spikes in blood sugar levels.

No...this time I suspect that my admission of a donutiferous craving was most likely the result of vino-induced relaxation of the inhibition that normally suppresses my desire for the Heavenly Torus. Truth be told, I pretty much always want a donut, not so much for the sugar but for the taste and smell of the thing.

Of course, I know better than to give in to such a craving, and I'm usually successful at dismissing it when it rears its depraved head. But when the vino kicks in...well, you know what can happen to one's judgment when ethanol is involved.
________

PD: No, Dunkin Donuts doesn't deliver as far as I know, but they're not my supplier of choice anyway. When I do cave in to The Call Of The Ring, I head over the hill to the Homestyle Donut Shop in La Habra, a local mom-and-pop pusher of Toroidal Smack whose creations challenge even the most determined will to resist.

BTW, I like your drone idea. I wonder if I could find one that has enough stamina to make the round trip journey...

...no, wait...what am I saying? The fact that I have to make the trip is part of what keeps me from doing it. If I used a drone to facilitate transport, they'd eventually have to get out the Goodyear stencil.

...no, no...must...resist...evil...cannot...give...in...  No

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.vitotuxedo.com/VitoSpace/Home/=index.html
Blackhorse

Registration date : 2010-10-23

PostSubject: Re: A philosophical quandary   Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:12 am

Indeed. One of the burning questions of the age. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hermit

Registration date : 2008-04-22

PostSubject: Re: A philosophical quandary   Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:47 am

Never mix Acetaminophen and alcohol.  Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Carlos
Admin

PostSubject: Re: A philosophical quandary   Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:26 am

Vito wrote:
for the taste and smell of the thing.

That really is so important. I had the occasion recently to stop in at the fondest of all the donut makers in my memory. Actually, I was in the Quickway buying a couple 12pks of Miller High Life bottles. But a couple doors down is Mel-O-Cream Donuts. They were open. I popped in and perused the limited selection. It was afternoon, barely, and they were nearly sold out for the day. But they had a couple plain Old Fashions. I grabbed them up.

They were a decent donut. I had not had any of those in.............30 years, or so. They do not fry them quite as long now. That means they do not have that slightly harder, thicker crust on the outside. Another 20-30 seconds frying and these would have been the finest, bestest, most perfect donut in all creation. But they weren't. And that is why I was able to get plain Old Fashions so late in the donut day. These used to be the very first donut sold out of every day.

Actually, I suspect that the fellow who used to make them long retired or passed and someone started following Mel-O-Cream's actual recipe. They were unaware that it had been improved upon. No powdered sugar or sugar frosting. Simple fried sour-cream dough. Who'd a thunk it?

"Never turn your back on a Breen".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: A philosophical quandary   Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:31 am

Come to Portland. Go stand in line at Voodoo Doughnuts. Get a Bacon Maple Bar...a big honker with traditional maple glaze plus a large crispy slice of bacon on top. Heaven. The thing about Voodoo is not only the amazing concepts but the heavy batter. These things are substantial...not like an air light Crispy Creme.

Look up Voodoo Doughnuts on Google and look at their "creations". Iconic weird PDX destination.

http://voodoodoughnut.com
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Thistleoak

Registration date : 2012-08-14

PostSubject: Re: A philosophical quandary   Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:44 am

Vito wrote:
Let's suppose for a moment that a brothah had gotten into the Sauvignon Blanc, a goodly supply of Jarlsberg, a wedge of some nice, ripe Stilton, and some multi-grain crackers, and what with one thing leading to another (including the evening dose of Fiorinal + Aspirin + Acetaminophen + Oxycodone), said brothah happened to get a hankerin' for a big, fat maple-frosted buttermilk donut. And let's further suppose that said supply of Sauvignon Blanc could be characterized as...uh, "free-flowing". Here's the resultant philosophical quandary:

• Would it be reasonable to assume that said brothah's determination to satiate his donutary lust was attributable to the effects of the Sauvignon Blancular inebriation? Indeed...would it be fair to characterize it as a chemically induced momentary lapse of reason?

However you cut it, I gotta admit...if this were the worst kinda prollem that a brothah had to solve, you could make a case that world isn't such a terribly focked-up place after all.  

I dont think its a problem once in a while... but when my rotator cuff was torn and on the mend after surgery i would occasionally wash down a norco with a slug of Canadian Mist...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
daveinlax

Registration date : 2007-12-28

PostSubject: Re: A philosophical quandary   Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:07 pm

Blackhorse wrote:
Come to Portland. Go stand in line at Voodoo Doughnuts. Get a Bacon Maple Bar...a big honker with traditional maple glaze plus a large crispy slice of bacon on top. Heaven. The thing about Voodoo is not only the amazing concepts but the heavy batter. These things are substantial...not like an air light Crispy Creme.

Look up Voodoo Doughnuts on Google and look at their "creations". Iconic weird PDX destination.

http://voodoodoughnut.com
Yuk, I think I saw them on TV and it looked like a trendy edgy hipster doughnut "dive". I like bacon as much as the next guy but this bacon thing is played out. Shocked
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: A philosophical quandary   Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:20 pm

The bars are a yeasted dough. Very superior.

And the "this bacon thing is played out" thing clearly shows you to be totally out of touch with reality!

lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile

A philosophical quandary
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: The Round Table-
Jump to: