HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Replacement stems?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Fight'n Hampsters

Registration date : 2011-07-28

PostSubject: Replacement stems?   Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:28 pm

I have a Savinelli that I use all the time and love. The stem is a little loose and it got me thinking. What if it broke? Can I get a replacement? Anyone know where one can purchase replacement stems?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Replacement stems?   Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:05 pm

Several very competent pipesmiths can make you a new one just like the original - Mike from Walker Briar Works - www.walkerbriarworks.com/

Jesse Jones from Blue Room Briars - https://www.blueroombriars.com/

Floyd Norwood from Norwood Pipe Repair - www.norwoodspiperepair.com/

To name but a few. HTH.

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
Fight'n Hampsters

PostSubject: Re: Replacement stems?   Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:23 pm

Thanks! Thats really helpful.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Replacement stems?   Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:15 pm

Mike Myers from Walker Briar Works made me a replacement stem for my one and only (and much cherished) Ser Jacopo Per Aspera Cherrywood after it snapped while removing. It's a dead ringer for the original, minus the gold "J" logo.

And he also repaired the original to the degree that you would never even know it broke in the first place. It didn't cost a lot either, and I was suitably impressed!

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
Cartaphilus

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Replacement stems?   Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:24 pm

Fight'n Hampsters wrote:
I have a Savinelli that I use all the time and love.  The stem is a little loose and it got me thinking.  What if it broke?  Can I get a replacement?  Anyone know where one can purchase replacement stems?

There are a few things you can do about the loose stem, some of them are not to my liking and some should only be preformed by a knowledgeable pipe repairman. But, you can try this one without any ill effects, clean the mortise out well and wet it with a Q-tip that has been dipped in water and let it dry without the stem inserted. This should swell the wood thus giving you a snugger fit. Beeswax in the mortise will sometimes also work but, I don't care for this method myself really. If neither of these work I would contact a good repairman. Floyd Norwood has always been good, although his son has taken over things I still hear nothing but, good things of his work, like father like son. Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
Fight'n Hampsters

PostSubject: Re: Replacement stems?   Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:22 am

Cartaphilus wrote:
Fight'n Hampsters wrote:
I have a Savinelli that I use all the time and love.  The stem is a little loose and it got me thinking.  What if it broke?  Can I get a replacement?  Anyone know where one can purchase replacement stems?

There are a few things you can do about the loose stem, some of them are not to my liking and some should only be preformed by a knowledgeable pipe repairman. But, you can try this one without any ill effects, clean the mortise out well and wet it with a Q-tip that has been dipped in water and let it dry without the stem inserted. This should swell the wood thus giving you a snugger fit.  Beeswax in the mortise will sometimes also work but, I don't care for this method myself really. If neither of these work I would contact a good repairman. Floyd Norwood has always been good, although his son has taken over things I still hear nothing but, good things of his work, like father like son. Wink

Good idea!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrT999

Registration date : 2011-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Replacement stems?   Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:55 pm

Brewdude wrote:
Several very competent pipesmiths can make you a new one just like the original - Mike from Walker Briar Works - www.walkerbriarworks.com/

I bought an estate meer last year that had a poorly fitted replacement stem. I finally got around to getting that properly replaced, and Mike did a very good job of it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999
SpeedyPete

Registration date : 2011-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Replacement stems?   Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:43 am

A little smear of Cutex on the tenon, that's all. Problem solved
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stinger4me

Registration date : 2010-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Replacement stems?   Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:00 am

Floyd did a replacement stem for a Kaywoodie and I got a logo put on it as well. Great work and prices are tough to beat.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Replacement stems?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1