HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Frog Morton Cellar Reserve kind of bland

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
PMR

Registration date : 2015-02-19

PostSubject: Frog Morton Cellar Reserve kind of bland   Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:39 pm

Hi there folks. I don't post often here but I'm a regular lurker, sorry. Not much to add that's positive to the discussion usually...

Anyhow, I've gone through a couple of tins of FM Cellar and they were great. Tangy, sweet and sour, smokey. All of the good stuff. But the last tin I've smoked about 5 or so bowls from is really bland. I've tried it in a few pipes that I've smoked it in before but it just does nothing for me now. Other blends with similar ingredients are still what they were but not this one.

Has anyone had this happen? Is it me or the tin?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GeoffC

Registration date : 2011-10-23

PostSubject: Re: Frog Morton Cellar Reserve kind of bland   Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:42 am

I like Frog Morton and Frog Morton on the Town and bourbon but Frog Morton Cellar never really did it for me. Tried it when if first came out.

One thing I have found is if smoke too much of the same thing my taste buds fry. This is really easy for me with cigars since I tend to smoke strong heavy smokes. Totally fries my taste buds and everything tastes the same. One of the big reasons I smoke a pipe is I can rotate through different tins.

It sure sounds like you might have just got a bad batch or uneven blend.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://geoffcorey.github.io

PostSubject: Re: Frog Morton Cellar Reserve kind of bland   Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:10 am

Sometimes it's not the tobacco but the cake build-up in the pipe that became too thick, smothering the tobacco taste. If it's the case, it needs to be reduced.
Back to top Go down
Carlos
Admin

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Frog Morton Cellar Reserve kind of bland   Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:54 am

Don't forget the seasonal change. Moisture levels in my basement man-cave/hamshack change a lot. Dry and cooler air seems to blow right though from outside where summer air never seems to penetrate. Suddenly my tastes can change.

"Never turn your back on a Breen".
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Frog Morton Cellar Reserve kind of bland   Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:57 pm

Carlos wrote:
Don't forget the seasonal change.  Moisture levels in my basement man-cave/hamshack change a lot.  Dry and cooler air seems to blow right though from outside where summer air never seems to penetrate.  Suddenly my tastes can change.

That's, like, pretty deep considerations, man. I bow to you and lift my Borsalino (which I don't have but wish I did).
Back to top Go down
PMR

PostSubject: Re: Frog Morton Cellar Reserve kind of bland   Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:27 pm

There's not too much cake built up, but there is a little. I've reduced the cake in a couple of pipes because the chamber was nearly just a tube... Not this one though.

The seasonal thing might be at play or just a bad batch.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Frog Morton Cellar Reserve kind of bland   Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:58 pm

Not to bum you out, but I doubt it's the tobacco. McClelland's blends are extraordinarily consistent, so much so, that they're the one thing you can count on. Besides the tobacco, there are just way too many other variables at play when you smoke a pipe. From time to time I'll stop tasting one or two or my favorites the way that I am used to. When this happens I simply move to another blend and come back to the blend(s) in question at a later time.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Old Nate
Not Really Old

Registration date : 2014-08-27

PostSubject: Re: Frog Morton Cellar Reserve kind of bland   Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:30 pm

I think I'm w Chris on this one. Sometimes a blend just goes bland on me... so I go to something else and then something else and when I come back to what was once great but went bland it is usually very good again. Variety.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Frog Morton Cellar Reserve kind of bland   Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:42 pm

I thought it was me.........

Pretty much everything I usually really enjoy is kind of dull these days. Only the super bold stuff is getting me going. Maybe I should check my notes and find out what I was smoking this time of year. I won't toss anything yet, but I get the idea that sometimes the 'old standbys' just aren't cutting it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Old Nate
Not Really Old

Registration date : 2014-08-27

PostSubject: Re: Frog Morton Cellar Reserve kind of bland   Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:53 pm

Wiz, I think you're right, the time of year plays a part as well. It's funny how it all works.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PMR

PostSubject: Re: Frog Morton Cellar Reserve kind of bland   Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:27 pm

I'll try to revisit it in the spring, maybe it is just my taste buds.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Frog Morton Cellar Reserve kind of bland
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1