HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Horn Shank Repair - Stanwell Brazilia

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ontariopiper

Registration date : 2015-03-10

PostSubject: Horn Shank Repair - Stanwell Brazilia   Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:11 pm

Hi folks,

Thought I'd share this with the group here as I'm quite happy with the way this repair came out and I figure I can't be the first or last piper to run into this issue.

I was faced with repairing the mortise in a horn shank extension on this RegD No Stanwell Brazilia. I don't know if Stanwell sent it out from the factory with any sort of mortise insert; when I received the pipe the mortise was completely shot. The bore through the horn shank was ragged, jagged and worn out. The stem stayed put through the dubious virtues of about a half ton of tars and crap in the mortise. As you can see in the pic, the horn shank was also cracked.

Mortise As Found

I decided to drill out the damaged material and glue in a section of brass tubing to reinforce the horn and provide a stable mortise for the stem to sit in. After a bit of tweaking the pipe fits together very nicely!

Mortise with Brass Insert

You can check out the entire restoration here on my blog.

Thanks for looking!

Last edited by ontariopiper on Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.dadspipes.com
Stick

Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Horn Shank Repair - Stanwell Brazilia   Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:33 pm

That's a terrific repair job, very impressive and may I offer, better than new?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ontariopiper

PostSubject: Re: Horn Shank Repair - Stanwell Brazilia   Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:39 pm

Stick wrote:
That's a terrific repair job,  very impressive and may I offer, better than new?

Cheers, Stick! And you may be correct. Clearly the factory mortise insert, assuming there was one, was insufficient. The new brass insert should last much longer.
Back to top Go down
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Horn Shank Repair - Stanwell Brazilia   Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:22 pm

Very impressive restoration Charles. You've clearly a lot of time in that one and it shows!

Cool

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com Online
ontariopiper

PostSubject: Re: Horn Shank Repair - Stanwell Brazilia   Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:26 pm

Brewdude wrote:
Very impressive restoration Charles. You've clearly a lot of time in that one and it shows!

Cool

Cheers,

RR

Thanks Rande. This one certainly had its finicky moments! I was worried the cracked horn might disintegrate in the drill press but it survived my ham-handed treatment and came out the other end just fine. 😀
Back to top Go down
huffelpuff

Registration date : 2011-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Horn Shank Repair - Stanwell Brazilia   Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:58 pm

Looks like you did your usual stellar job mate! Very nice save by the way. Love a nice accent piece like that on a bigger pipe for sure.

Jim
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Horn Shank Repair - Stanwell Brazilia   Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:28 pm

I hear you on the worries of blowing the horn material to bits. That was a hell of a crack. The brass insert is an excellent idea too. If I didn't thread my stems in I would definitely apply that feature.

Well done on the restoration!

cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AJ

Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Horn Shank Repair - Stanwell Brazilia   Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:07 am

It looks to be a very fine job. Well done! Smile

AJ
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ontariopiper

PostSubject: Re: Horn Shank Repair - Stanwell Brazilia   Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:42 pm

Thanks, gents! I've got at least one other pipe in the refurb box with a blown mortise like this. I'm keeping the brass tube handy for that one. Very Happy
Back to top Go down

Horn Shank Repair - Stanwell Brazilia
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1