HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

what makes a pipe a good pipe

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
arkansaspiper

Registration date : 2016-01-22

PostSubject: what makes a pipe a good pipe    Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:08 pm

I was thinking, I have been looking at pipes all different kinds, And I honestly see not a whole lot in difference from a lot of the lower to the higher grade pipes. I think that its in the eye of the beholder honestly. Any feed back on this I understand woods and such make it higher but what really makes a pipe a good pipe, Or what makes a 200 dollar pipe
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: what makes a pipe a good pipe    Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:51 pm

arky, you might want to consider joining the pipemakers forum-

http://www.pipemakersforum.com/

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: what makes a pipe a good pipe    Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:12 pm

Rande, good call.

I'd say the briar itself, engineering, aesthetics, experience, attention to detail and a pipe makers ability to read the briar prior to cutting it. But there is so much more I am sure. I am not a pipe maker, only a consumer with some great pipes made by individuals or houses in their prime that have\had the care & know-how, and some duds from major labels that either lost their way or just don't or didn't give a damn anymore.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
arkansaspiper

Registration date : 2016-01-22

PostSubject: Re: what makes a pipe a good pipe    Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:34 pm

Well put
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lonecoyote

Registration date : 2016-10-15

PostSubject: Re: what makes a pipe a good pipe    Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:38 am

The beauty of a pipe is definitely in the eye of the beholder. Not only does a pipe need to be a looker, but also well balanced and a good smoker. I have a $20.00 pipe that smokes better then my $1,200 dollar pipe. I no longer purchase expensive pipes ( over $300.00 ), in the past year I've made 4 custom pipes that are beauties and superb smokers. I've also been restoring pipes for quite a while and enjoy seeing and smoking the restored pipe! Nothing like working with a good chunk of briar.
I'm finding many pipe makers just don't give a damn anymore in the quality of the pipes they manufacturer. Example: last Father's Day I was given a new Mr Brog pipe that looked real good. But after less then 30 smokes a hole burned thru the wall of the pipe. Was this aged briar??? My opinion not even briar! So, I cut the bowl in half with my band saw and " wala ", just a cheap piece of soft olive wood, not hard briar. I wrote Mr Brog an email and sent it to him directly in Poland, never got a response. Every pipe smoker should make him/her a few pipes and just enjoy your favorite blends. It's about the joy, comradery and the many great tobacco's to be had, that is until February of 2018....STOCK UP YOUR CELLARS NOW cheers bounce bounce

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile

what makes a pipe a good pipe
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1