HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 
 

 Chocolate Flake - Gawith Hoggarth vs Samuel Gawith?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ontariopiper

avatar

Age : 45
Location : Kitchener, Ontario CANADA
Registration date : 2015-03-10

PostSubject: Chocolate Flake - Gawith Hoggarth vs Samuel Gawith?   Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:58 pm

Hi folks,

I've recently become a fan of Orlik's Dark Strong Kentucky (a surprise to me), which has raised my interest in trying other flavoured flakes. My experience with straight VA's has not been that favourable,but DSK's Burley/Virginia blend I find quite tasty.

Both Samuel Gawith and Gawith Hoggarth Chocolate Flakes follow the Burley/Virginia route, with some Latakia added which is just fine by me. If I'm reading the online reviews correctly, The GH Bob's Choc Flake is a Lakeland blend, so folks seem to either love it or hate it. I have no experience with Lakelands, so can't say if I'd enjoy the tobacco.

I've enjoyed a few other Sam Gawith blends, so I'm somewhat leaning in that direction for a first purchase. I'd love to get feedback from those of you who have smoked both blends.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.dadspipes.com
CharlG

avatar

Location : Cape Town, South Africa
Registration date : 2012-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Chocolate Flake - Gawith Hoggarth vs Samuel Gawith?   Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:10 pm

SG Choc Flake is one of my all time favourites. I unfortunately haven't had the Gawith Hoggarth one yet.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.goussardpipes.com/
Ozark Wizard

avatar

Age : 53
Location : Mark Twain National Forest, MO
Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Chocolate Flake - Gawith Hoggarth vs Samuel Gawith?   Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:34 pm

I'm in the other camp, love the G H Bob's Chocolate Flake, but haven't tried the SG Chocolate. Though I find the 'chocolate' flavor light, I believe it might have more to do with the tobaccos in the blend than the topping..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrT999

avatar

Age : 59
Location : Piedmont of North Carolina
Registration date : 2011-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Chocolate Flake - Gawith Hoggarth vs Samuel Gawith?   Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:03 pm

There ain't much chocolate in Bob's Chocolate Flake (maybe more 'white chocolate' along with the vanilla and tonquin).  I prefer GH's Scotch Flake, not sweet or floral, but with just a bit stronger chocolate and tad less vanilla than Bob's
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999
ontariopiper

avatar

Age : 45
Location : Kitchener, Ontario CANADA
Registration date : 2015-03-10

PostSubject: Re: Chocolate Flake - Gawith Hoggarth vs Samuel Gawith?   Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:21 am

DrT999 wrote:
There ain't much chocolate in Bob's Chocolate Flake (maybe more 'white chocolate' along with the vanilla and tonquin).  I prefer GH's Scotch Flake, not sweet or floral, but with just a bit stronger chocolate and tad less vanilla than Bob's

I'll have to check that one out. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.dadspipes.com
Lonecoyote

avatar

Age : 66
Location : State of Confusion
Registration date : 2016-10-15

PostSubject: Re: Chocolate Flake - Gawith Hoggarth vs Samuel Gawith?   Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:33 pm

There ain't much chocolate in Bob's Chocolate Flake (maybe more 'white chocolate' along with the vanilla and tonquin). I prefer GH's Scotch Flake, not sweet or floral, but with just a bit stronger chocolate and tad less vanilla than Bob's wrote:

I also agree with DrT

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ontariopiper

avatar

Age : 45
Location : Kitchener, Ontario CANADA
Registration date : 2015-03-10

PostSubject: Re: Chocolate Flake - Gawith Hoggarth vs Samuel Gawith?   Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:35 pm

DrT999 wrote:
There ain't much chocolate in Bob's Chocolate Flake (maybe more 'white chocolate' along with the vanilla and tonquin).  I prefer GH's Scotch Flake, not sweet or floral, but with just a bit stronger chocolate and tad less vanilla than Bob's

Having a bit of trouble tracking this one down exactly. There seem to be two version? One called Scotch Flake and one called Scotch Flake Aromatic. There is some suggestion that these are the same blend packaged differently, but I can't verify that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.dadspipes.com
Lonecoyote

avatar

Age : 66
Location : State of Confusion
Registration date : 2016-10-15

PostSubject: Re: Chocolate Flake - Gawith Hoggarth vs Samuel Gawith?   Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:48 pm

OP, I smoke the non-aromatic Scotch Flake. The aromatic has a floral note I don't care for, but some say they are both similar.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

avatar

Age : 45
Location : Northern, CA
Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Chocolate Flake - Gawith Hoggarth vs Samuel Gawith?   Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:52 pm

ontariopiper wrote:
Having a bit of trouble tracking this one down exactly. There seem to be two version? One called Scotch Flake and one called Scotch Flake Aromatic. There is some suggestion that these are the same blend packaged differently, but I can't verify that.

Ontario, I learned a while ago that they are different. The scented version advertises the chocolate/vanilla addition. I have smoked the scented version before and it's no more floral than Bob's. I haven't smoked the unscented version. I would imagine based on his review, DrT is referring to the scented flake.

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/search?Blend=scotch+flake
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ontariopiper

avatar

Age : 45
Location : Kitchener, Ontario CANADA
Registration date : 2015-03-10

PostSubject: Re: Chocolate Flake - Gawith Hoggarth vs Samuel Gawith?   Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:54 pm

DrumsAndBeer wrote:
ontariopiper wrote:
Having a bit of trouble tracking this one down exactly. There seem to be two version? One called Scotch Flake and one called Scotch Flake Aromatic. There is some suggestion that these are the same blend packaged differently, but I can't verify that.

Ontario, I learned a while ago that they are different. The scented version advertises the chocolate/vanilla addition. I have smoked the scented version before and it's no more floral than Bob's. I haven't smoked the unscented version. I would imagine based on his review, DrT is referring to the scented flake.

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/search?Blend=scotch+flake

Thanks DB!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.dadspipes.com
DrT999

avatar

Age : 59
Location : Piedmont of North Carolina
Registration date : 2011-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Chocolate Flake - Gawith Hoggarth vs Samuel Gawith?   Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:26 pm

ontariopiper wrote:
DrumsAndBeer wrote:
ontariopiper wrote:
Having a bit of trouble tracking this one down exactly. There seem to be two version? One called Scotch Flake and one called Scotch Flake Aromatic. There is some suggestion that these are the same blend packaged differently, but I can't verify that.

Ontario, I learned a while ago that they are different. The scented version advertises the chocolate/vanilla addition. I have smoked the scented version before and it's no more floral than Bob's. I haven't smoked the unscented version. I would imagine based on his review, DrT is referring to the scented flake.

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/search?Blend=scotch+flake

Thanks DB!

Yes, sorry; some places that just sell the Scotch Flake actually mean the scented version as well -- it can get confusing!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999
sethile

avatar

Age : 59
Location : Murray, KY, USA
Registration date : 2016-12-18

PostSubject: Re: Chocolate Flake - Gawith Hoggarth vs Samuel Gawith?   Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:39 am

Sorry for chiming in on an old thread, but just happened into it...

One of my go to smokes is a 50/50 Blend of Peter Heinrich's Dark Strong and Gawith Hoggarth's Bob's Chocolate Flake (not original to me). My guess is the Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky is pretty similar to the Peter Heinrich's Dark Strong, which is also a blend that uses Dark Fired Kentucky. So that would likely work well too.

The Dark Strong knocks me on my butt straight, but has an amazing depth and richness that I love. Dark Kentucky has a very high nicotine content, and that seems to hold true even when it's fired. The Bob's is a bit too sweet for me straight, but works great to smooth out and mellow the Dark Strong while adding some sweetness to it...

Lakeland tobaccos tend to be a bit "perfumy" right at first. Bob's is certainly guilty of this, and it can be a distraction for me on the first couple of puffs, even in the 50/50 blend, but that settles out quickly into a nice smooth and subtle sweetness.

As a side note: I live in Murray Kentucky. We're in the heart of the Black Patch region where Dark Kentucky is grown. I've played around with growing a few plants the last couple of years. Still figuring out what to do with it. Would love to find a way to fire it, but short of building a miniature tobacco barn I'm not sure how I'd do it and get the same affect...
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.sethilepipes.com/
rx2man



Age : 46
Location : Phoenix, AZ
Registration date : 2013-05-10

PostSubject: Re: Chocolate Flake - Gawith Hoggarth vs Samuel Gawith?   Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:10 am

There is also G&H Louisiana Perique Flake. Have not tried it, is on the to get list.......
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Perdurabo

avatar

Registration date : 2017-03-20

PostSubject: Re: Chocolate Flake - Gawith Hoggarth vs Samuel Gawith?   Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:33 pm

GH BCF is more powdered chocolate with tonquin and vanilla. Of course it's floral/lavender...

SG Chocolate is so different it almost comes across as a Balkan, until Bob is totally forgotten.  Then a dark chocolate Drifts  to the nose.  Simply exquisite.

Resurrecting the Dead cheers


Last edited by Perdurabo on Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:34 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Because)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bugsahearn

avatar

Registration date : 2015-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Chocolate Flake - Gawith Hoggarth vs Samuel Gawith?   Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:13 am

Perdurabo wrote:
GH BCF is more powdered chocolate with tonquin and vanilla. Of course it's floral/lavender...

SG Chocolate is so different it almost comes across as a Balkan, until Bob is totally forgotten.  Then a dark chocolate Drifts  to the nose.  Simply exquisite.

Resurrecting the Dead cheers
?
There is (of course?) no lavender in Bob's Chocolate Flake at all & nothing that noticebly resembles Tonquin
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrT999

avatar

Age : 59
Location : Piedmont of North Carolina
Registration date : 2011-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Chocolate Flake - Gawith Hoggarth vs Samuel Gawith?   Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:09 am

Bugsahearn wrote:
Perdurabo wrote:
GH BCF is more powdered chocolate with tonquin and vanilla. Of course it's floral/lavender...

SG Chocolate is so different it almost comes across as a Balkan, until Bob is totally forgotten.  Then a dark chocolate Drifts  to the nose.  Simply exquisite.

Resurrecting the Dead cheers
?
There is (of course?) no lavender in Bob's Chocolate Flake at all & nothing that noticebly resembles Tonquin

We all taste differently, and to me, there is a mild floral element in BCF, as well as (IMO) a stronger vanilla presence than that of chocolate. I think a strong vanilla/mild floral profile could cross over to believing there's tonquin in a blend, but others might taste tonquin differently
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999
Bugsahearn

avatar

Registration date : 2015-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Chocolate Flake - Gawith Hoggarth vs Samuel Gawith?   Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:42 pm

DrT999 wrote:
Bugsahearn wrote:
Perdurabo wrote:
GH BCF is more powdered chocolate with tonquin and vanilla. Of course it's floral/lavender...

SG Chocolate is so different it almost comes across as a Balkan, until Bob is totally forgotten.  Then a dark chocolate Drifts  to the nose.  Simply exquisite.

Resurrecting the Dead cheers
?
There is (of course?) no lavender in Bob's Chocolate Flake at all & nothing that noticebly resembles Tonquin

We all taste differently, and to me, there is a mild floral element in BCF, as well as (IMO) a stronger vanilla presence than that of chocolate.  I think a strong vanilla/mild floral profile could cross over to believing there's tonquin in a blend, but others might taste tonquin differently

Maybe but probably because many people don't understand what Tonquin tastes like. I too get a very vanilla-chocolate, sometimes I even mix in some Vanilla Flake. Either way there us nothing like lavender in the blend
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

avatar

Age : 45
Location : Northern, CA
Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Chocolate Flake - Gawith Hoggarth vs Samuel Gawith?   Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:43 pm

Bob's CF has always tasted slightly floral to me, but only in that ubiquitous Gawith & Hoggarth kind of way. I usually get just a hint of "the flavor" on the finish and a quick hit of it on first light. But it definitely doesn't strike me as anything specific like the rose geranium in Grasmere or heliotrope in Kendal Flake. Ironically I have never tasted chocolate smoking Bob's, only a floral note and a fleeting hint of the latakia from time to time.

I find Bob's CF to be an enjoyable smoke. On the other hand, SG Mayor's Chocolate Flake tastes absolutely dreadful to me.



Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

avatar

Age : 64
Location : Near the Emerald city
Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Chocolate Flake - Gawith Hoggarth vs Samuel Gawith?   Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:16 pm

It occurred to me that I once got in some of the G&H Bob's Chocolate Flake many moons ago. Just ferreted it out and will have a go at it sometime soon to see if the L-character is tolerable. If not it'll go up for sale in the trade forum.

I do remember liking the Sammy G's Chocolate Flake, but it's been a while since I've had it and don't think I have any on hand. Might just sneak a tin into my next order.


Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
 
Chocolate Flake - Gawith Hoggarth vs Samuel Gawith?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» What's not to like about hot chocolate?
» WWI Commemorative Chocolate Bar
» Asthma Death Boy Was 'Neglected' By School - inquest shows
» Muppet Movies
» Jakob Samuel

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: The Tobacco Jar-
Jump to: