HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Where to start?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Where to start?   Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:56 pm

OK, so I've never read any of the Sherlock Holmes series. Been aware of them certainly, but never really committed myself to reading any of them. Saw a few SH Movies in the past. Suffice to say I'm interested in exploring further.

So where would one start in this? First book and then go from there, or is there a better way?

Question

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
Fazby

Registration date : 2010-04-22

PostSubject: Re: Where to start?   Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:10 pm

Find a copy of The Complete Sherlock Holmes. Libraries should have it.

Begin at the beginning, go all the way to the end, and then stop.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: Where to start?   Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:25 pm

Fazby wrote:
Find a copy of The Complete Sherlock Holmes.  Libraries should have it.

Begin at the beginning, go all the way to the end, and then stop.

Sounds like good advice. Danke!

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Where to start?   Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:01 am

I agree with Fazby. The work SH work of Conan Doyle is quite prolific. It's good to just plow through it and then go back and reread the stories that you enjoyed the most. Most Complete Sherlock Holmes anthologies start with Study in Scarlett, Sign of Four and move into the Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and end with The Case Book of SH. There's a lot of well written stories along the way.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fazby

PostSubject: Re: Where to start?   Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:33 pm

I have since found two non-Holmes Doyle books that were interesting: Uncollected Stories and Stories of Unease. Some were quite enjoyable.

Doyle does love the word "singular".
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Where to start?   Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:18 pm

Like Fazby said...I bought The Penguin Complete Sherlock Holmes and love it. A bit over 1100 pages, all his adventures are there, Lord Brewdude.
It's fairly inexpensive, has a soft cover, and looks sharp. The print is not small, my eyes are not forcing when I read it.

Back to top Go down
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: Where to start?   Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:36 pm

Lord Guyrox wrote:
Like Fazby said...I bought The Penguin Complete Sherlock Holmes and love it. A bit over 1100 pages, all his adventures are there, Lord Brewdude.
It's fairly inexpensive, has a soft cover, and looks sharp. The print is not small, my eyes are not forcing when I read it.

That looks like the one. Thanks m'Lord!

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
Fazby

PostSubject: Re: Where to start?   Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:56 pm

If you have a Half Price Bookstore near you, you can get a bargain. I think I paid about seven bucks for a hardcover book.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: Where to start?   Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:47 pm

Fazby wrote:
If you have a Half Price Bookstore near you, you can get a bargain.  I think I paid about seven bucks for a hardcover book.  

Ya, got a second hand bookstore locally. I'll sound them out.

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
Blackhorse

Registration date : 2010-10-23

PostSubject: Re: Where to start?   Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:00 pm

Me? I'd go about it a bit differently. Instead of the short case files I'd go for a little longer story that is perhaps the most beloved of all...

I'd start with "The Hound of the Baskervilles" and if it strikes a cord, go from there.

Founding BoB Bombers Squadron Commander, Ret.
BoB Bombers Squadron Reserve CoCommander reactivated. 
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: Where to start?   Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:29 pm

Blackhorse wrote:
Me?  I'd go about it a bit differently. Instead of the short case files I'd go for a little longer story that is perhaps the most beloved of all...

I'd start with "The Hound of the Baskervilles" and if it strikes a cord, go from there.

Good advice. Thanks BH.

Cool

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
Fazby

PostSubject: Re: Where to start?   Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:40 am

A Study in Scarlet is the intro of Watson and Holmes. That is the starting point. (Please feel free to tell me to go to hell)

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: Where to start?   Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:47 am

Try doing a word search...look for the phrase "The game is afoot!" Start reading from that point forward.

Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: Where to start?   Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:34 pm

Just now finishing up the first book I chose - "The Hound Of The Baskervilles". It caught me right from the start and didn't let up. Very compelling reading and I have a feeling I'll be enjoying all the others in due course. "A Study In Scarlet" will be up next.

Thanks again for all the rec's mates.

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
Fazby

PostSubject: Re: Where to start?   Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:57 pm

OK. You're hooked. Welcome aboard!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: Where to start?   Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:59 pm

Excellent. Well done.

At some point, if you want some good fun, pick up "The Beekeeper's Apprentice" by Laurie R. King. It begins a series of brilliantly written pastiches wherein our Mr. Holmes, in his retirement, marries a young woman...and their case solving adventures together.

Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: Where to start?   Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:47 pm

Blackhorse wrote:
Excellent. Well done.

At some point, if you want some good fun, pick up "The Beekeeper's Apprentice" by Laurie R. King. It begins a series of brilliantly written pastiches wherein our Mr. Holmes, in his retirement, marries a young woman...and their case solving adventures together.

Will do Squire. Sounds interesting.

In the meantime the local library has lent me two volumes of various SH adventures, and I've been immersed in them this weekend - along with playing guitar since the weather has been less than shall we say......agreeable!

Oh and of course pipe smoking. That's a given!

How these interesting and well written accounts eluded me for all these years is as much as a mystery as some of the detective's adventures. But there you are!

Wink

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: Where to start?   Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:20 pm

Been winding my way through the various adventures, and haven't had a dull moment.

Most electrifying was "The Final Problem", followed by "The Adventure of the Empty House". I was totally convinced of Sherlock's death at the hand of Moriarty, until I read the next supplement.

Also gripping was "The Adventure of the Dancing Men". That Sherlock could get his head wrapped around the coding in that and explain it as such later was mind shattering!

This is great stuff, and can't understand how I missed it for all these years!

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: Where to start?   Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:26 pm

Just finished off a collection of stories entitled "Sherlock Holmes", which contained "Hound of the Baskervilles" (which I'd previously read in another book), and 12 short stories. All thoroughly enjoyable.

I'm currently awaiting one more SH book from the library which has "A Study in Scarlet" as well as a few others. Not sure how many stories Conan Doyle wrote about Sherlock but think I might now be coming to the last of them.

I'm going to see about getting in a used copy of "The Complete Sherlock Holmes" as I can see that these stories will be re-read many times over, and it would be good to not have to depend on the local library.

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: Where to start?   Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:45 pm

This post c&p from the other forum (in part)-

Now deeply into "The Complete Sherlock Holmes, volume II". The old bean is reeling with the story/sub-story of "The Valley of Fear". Cripes, what a complete surprise to see it told in this fashion. Very riveting and I'm savouring every word!

And to have it told in this fashion is on the one hand not what I'd have expected, but equally a revelation. Conan Doyle uses flashbacks here when this was not the norm. Correct me if I'm wrong, but until this authors had never hit upon this device to tell their story. And now it's somewhat commonplace. Have we to thank Conan Doyle for this?

And then there's the obvious deep knowledge of 19th century ways and dialects in the telling of the sub-tale. How did Doyle come upon this? Uncanny, and very convincing.

And what are we to make of the freeman society of which he is alluding to. Is it the Freemasons which we now are all familiar with and can so readily identify, even if we aren't in their service? It certainly seems so. And what are we to make of this if it is indeed true?

What does it cast on the Freemasons as a group, as it seems that one or more in this this valley has gone rogue? And if it's it's so where is the outrage from the rest of the society?

I'll freely admit to not being any kind of a scholar. I barely graduated HS and know nothing of literature. And while my late Pap was a Freemason he revealed virtually nothing to me when I was a lad. Only that he had to recite.

So I have more questions than answers here, and can only go forward with the rest of this quite interesting account of "The Valley of Fear". So far it's the most intriguing Conan Doyle story I've read so far!

Exclamation

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down

Where to start?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1