HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Aging tobacco in a vacuum?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
KevinM

Registration date : 2012-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Aging tobacco in a vacuum?   Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:03 pm

I've been repurposing Kirchner (sp?) wheat germ jars for "putting pipe weed by." The seal is pretty good, although not as good as Mason jars.

One thing I've wondered about -- if it's better to NOT vacuum seal a jar and NOT to pack the stored tobak tight, then how do you 'splain the almost universal practice of aging in the tin?

For labels I use stick-on all-purpose address labels.

My local liquor stores give me sturdy cardboard boxes with dividers to store Kirchner jars. 

I've stored 965 and other Lat blends in vacuum sealed Mason jars for more than ten years and never had a bad result. I've also stored aro blends. I'd say aging neither helps nor hurts aros.

All FWIW. Whatever you like is fine by me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
History Prof 1861

Registration date : 2016-10-16

PostSubject: Re: Aging tobacco in a vacuum?   Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:58 pm

Thank you for the tutorial on storage
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KevinM

Registration date : 2012-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Aging tobacco in a vacuum?   Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:33 pm

FYI  --  Smoking Pipes e-mailed an item from their blog today pertaining to anaerobic vs. aerobic aging (vacuum vs non-vacuum). I think the subject of the blog entry was buying tins vs. bulk.  The advice on cellaring snuck in at the end. The intent to smoke the tobacco immediately or store it for future enjoyment was a deciding factor. My reading is the SP default position is this: Cellared bulk tobacco is best immediately transferred to a snugly packed glass jar and stored under vacuum conditions. So why not just buy and store tins, when available? Thrift, Horatio, thrift. Bulk buyers usually get more for their money.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Aging tobacco in a vacuum?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2