HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Was dragged to a Veteran's day gig and cringed

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Was dragged to a Veteran's day gig and cringed   Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:02 am

Yup. Got talked into a day away from the forest to a 'shindig' for Vets. As I have been alone for some time now, I thought it best to step out and spend some time with the peoples.....

Ugh. Where do folks find this stuff? This is sooooo long ago, even I can hardly remember...

And who took this picture? Whichever SWMBO should have made me look taller at least...

Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
arkansaspiper

Registration date : 2016-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Was dragged to a Veteran's day gig and cringed   Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:14 am

Any with out the glasses
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

PostSubject: Re: Was dragged to a Veteran's day gig and cringed   Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:18 am

Nope, that was the one they had of me. I was too cool for school those days.... You know, uniform, shades, a nice pipe..... Oh man, those were the days......
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
arkansaspiper

PostSubject: Re: Was dragged to a Veteran's day gig and cringed   Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:37 am

Hmmm
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stick

Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Was dragged to a Veteran's day gig and cringed   Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:12 am

That's a great photo Bob, a great one for your wall. What year was that and where was it taken? I'm guessing by your generally relaxed look (shades and pipe!) you were on exercise somewhere?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

PostSubject: Re: Was dragged to a Veteran's day gig and cringed   Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:26 am

Stick, it looks like I'm wearing a T-10 chute, probably a static line pull. Judging by the background I would guess probably Fort Bragg, North Carolina.....

Sorry, had to edit. Because of the hardware I'm wearing I'm guessing the shot was taken in the 80's?
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
arkansaspiper

PostSubject: Re: Was dragged to a Veteran's day gig and cringed   Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:39 am

it is a t10 24 diameter chest reserve assembly emergency chute I know this as i have some good friends in the marine corp raiders. not that that means a damn think they are all 90 or dead now but i know LtCol Evans F. Carlson
daughter and well not that it means a thing they told me about them t 10s
oh well

great pic wiz hope u enjoy remembering the days of old
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lonecoyote

Registration date : 2016-10-15

PostSubject: Re: Was dragged to a Veteran's day gig and cringed   Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:39 am

OW, that's a good picture to frame as mentioned. Something to be proud of for sure.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bosun1

Registration date : 2012-10-23

PostSubject: Re: Was dragged to a Veteran's day gig and cringed   Sat Nov 12, 2016 11:19 am

quote "And who took this picture? Whichever SWMBO should have made me look taller at least..."

that's what happens when you jump out of airplanes!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Was dragged to a Veteran's day gig and cringed   Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:15 pm

Ozark Wizard wrote:
Yup. Got talked into a day away from the forest to a 'shindig' for Vets. As I have been alone for some time now, I thought it best to step out and spend some time with the peoples.....

Ugh. Where do folks find this stuff? This is sooooo long ago, even I can hardly remember...

And who took this picture? Whichever SWMBO should have made me look taller at least...

By golly, what a handsome young man you are in that pic Ozzie. Studly, even! And that pipe along with the smile just puts it all together. You look like the cat that got the cream!

Who knew we had such a photogenic guy in our midst!

king

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
Ozark Wizard

PostSubject: Re: Was dragged to a Veteran's day gig and cringed   Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:56 pm

5)

Yah, guess I clean up well enough. No gray back then either....
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Was dragged to a Veteran's day gig and cringed   Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:07 pm

Ozark Wizard wrote:
5)

So I have to ask, do you remember what the pipe was?

alien

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
Ozark Wizard

PostSubject: Re: Was dragged to a Veteran's day gig and cringed   Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:13 pm

Brewdude wrote:
Ozark Wizard wrote:
5)

So I have to ask, do you remember what the pipe was?

alien

Cheers,

RR

I'll have to dig it out of my trunk of memorabilia. I don't recall it having any markings on it though. Other than my teeth............ lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Richard Hester
Author of "My Love My Pipe"

Registration date : 2009-08-12

PostSubject: Re: Was dragged to a Veteran's day gig and cringed   Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:46 am

Great pic Brother

Best Regards,
Richard
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://charlesrhesterjr@aol.com.com
nismo270r

Registration date : 2011-03-22

PostSubject: Re: Was dragged to a Veteran's day gig and cringed   Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:18 pm

Great photo Wiz! Airborne USASOC PSYOPS? You got a short tab hiding under that strap too? Smile I almost ended up with the 160th SOAR, but my 1SG at the time talked some sense into me. I decided it would be best to let the younger chitlins be all high speed hooah hooah instead LOL
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tarheel7734

Registration date : 2014-10-16

PostSubject: Re: Was dragged to a Veteran's day gig and cringed   Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:32 pm

I always hated my static line jumps. My two malfunctions that resulted in severe injure were static line jumps. Give me my mc-4 and 35k and i am a happy jumper. Oh well thats all over now, but some great memories. What group were you with? Its hard to see the patch, but i am assuming its our sf patch and not socom patch.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
nismo270r

Registration date : 2011-03-22

PostSubject: Re: Was dragged to a Veteran's day gig and cringed   Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:53 pm

tarheel7734 wrote:
Its hard to see the patch, but i am assuming its our sf patch and not socom patch.

Pretty sure your right TH...can't see the lightning bolts, but looking closer at the bottom of the spear tip, the curve isn't as pronounced as it is on the USASOC tip. So, maybe a short AND a long tab are hiding under that strap!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tarheel7734

PostSubject: Re: Was dragged to a Veteran's day gig and cringed   Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:36 pm

nismo270r wrote:
tarheel7734 wrote:
Its hard to see the patch, but i am assuming its our sf patch and not socom patch.

Pretty sure your right TH...can't see the lightning bolts, but looking closer at the bottom of the spear tip, the curve isn't as pronounced as it is on the USASOC tip. So, maybe a short AND a long tab are hiding under that strap!
It does look like there might be a triple canopy there. The long tab looks too far apart from the airborn tab above the unit patch. Its just an old photo and hard to tell. Beret doesnt have the usual flash, so I originally thought foreign soldier attached, but in my time when we had the brits attached to our group for training for some time, they still wore their uniforms and we wore ours when we were cross training with different units. Things change so much over the years in sf, so anything is possible.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
arkansaspiper

PostSubject: Re: Was dragged to a Veteran's day gig and cringed   Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:04 pm

He should still have his uniform and beret he can shoot a pic and post
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

PostSubject: Re: Was dragged to a Veteran's day gig and cringed   Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:05 pm

tarheel7734 wrote:
nismo270r wrote:
tarheel7734 wrote:

It does look like there might be a triple canopy there. The long tab looks too far apart from the airborn tab above the unit patch. Its just an old photo and hard to tell. Beret doesnt have the usual flash, so I originally thought foreign soldier attached, but in my time when we had the brits attached to our group for training for some time, they still wore their uniforms and we wore ours when we were cross training with different units. Things change so much over the years in sf, so anything is possible.

Something like that...... Wink

Looks like you found your pipe. I still haven't braved the storm shelter to find mine. Assuming I still have it!
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
arkansaspiper

PostSubject: Re: Was dragged to a Veteran's day gig and cringed   Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:11 pm

Tarheel you did hight altitude jumps I assume c130 Hercules ir was it before the herc? If im.wrong what did u jump from?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tarheel7734

PostSubject: Re: Was dragged to a Veteran's day gig and cringed   Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:14 pm

Ozark Wizard wrote:
tarheel7734 wrote:
nismo270r wrote:
tarheel7734 wrote:

Something like that...... Wink

Looks like you found your pipe. I still haven't braved the storm shelter to find mine. Assuming I still have it!

Maybe its just silver oakleaf clusters in the flash and i am not paying attention well enough. Maybe 3rd group flash.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tarheel7734

PostSubject: Re: Was dragged to a Veteran's day gig and cringed   Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:19 pm

arkansaspiper wrote:
Tarheel you did hight altitude jumps I assume c130 Hercules ir was it before the herc? If im.wrong what did u jump from?
I served from 1996 to 2006, so yes c130, 141, c17, and even from the rear of ch47s. Most of the time it was a c130.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
arkansaspiper

PostSubject: Re: Was dragged to a Veteran's day gig and cringed   Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:25 pm

Thank you for your service way cool what was your favorite chute. Or chute of chose I have not jumped but want to not in military but as a civilian
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tarheel7734

PostSubject: Re: Was dragged to a Veteran's day gig and cringed   Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:32 pm

arkansaspiper wrote:
Thank you for your service way cool what was your favorite chute. Or chute of chose I have not jumped but want to not in military but as a civilian
We used the mc-4 system. It worked both for haho and halo operations. I have never jumped with any civilian chutes. Dont think i can get cleared medically due to all the injuries to spine and head. I do miss it a lot.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Was dragged to a Veteran's day gig and cringed
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next