HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Wheels through time

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Thistleoak

Registration date : 2012-08-14

PostSubject: Wheels through time   Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:34 am

My Bud Josh, his wife Angela my wife Ranelle and myself went down to Tenn , Virginia and North Carolina on the bikes this last june. If you EVER get the chance visit Dale at Wheels Through Time museum..... even if you arnt a motorcycle nut you will really enjoy yourself. Dale and his staff that are on American Restoration are soooo down to earth. Dale took a shine to us for some reason and actually gave us a guided tour... I have a TON more pictures from there . If anyone is interested please let me know and i will post more.... Harleys and Indians as far as the eye can see. I got to sit on a Harley Model A serial number 0000000000000001.... first trike Harley produced for the war effort during WW1.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Wheels through time   Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:06 am

But did you ride the dragons tail?

I rode 58 from Bristol to Middlesboro..and 64 from Chattanooga to Asheville. Both in a big truck. I've actually ran most of that country 421, 321, 119, literally well over half those tiny roads between TN/NC/Va/Ky...but 58 was the scariest. There are stretches on a lot of those roads where you are knocking brush down with your driver side mirror and rubbing rocks with your trailer tandems.  I always imagined going back on a bike when I retired...guess I have to live vicariously. Wink

Also dig around and find "Ride with Norman Reedus."  I know AMC On Demand has it, I don't know if it's on Hulu/Amazon/etc.  Basically Norman just riding all over the country doing cool stuff with cool people. . He travelled those roads you were on in an episode or two.

Thistleoak

PostSubject: Re: Wheels through time   Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:17 am

Yes. Dragons tail was ridden, snake was ridden and devils whip was ridden. I will never do them again. I love curves.... but switchbacks that pocket and 100-300ft drops.... not my favorite.... I rode all of the above..... WITH MY WIFE BEHIND ME!!!! id lean right in the switchbacks and throw a rooster tail of sparks off my pipes... i would also tell you what my wife was saying but i dont even think language like that is allowed in the rubber room
Back to top Go down
View user profile
riff raff

Registration date : 2011-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Wheels through time   Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:15 am

That place was definitely on my list. I like he he sets things up in an unrestored state, hill climb bikes, choppers, etc.

If you are looking for other destinations, check these two:

If you are ever in NY, the Motorcylepedia Museum in Newburgh (right off the NY Thruway, 100 miles North of NYC) is amazing. The place is owned by the guy who owns V-Twin Mfg. We spent about four hours there and only saw about 1/2 of the exhibits. The top floor is all custome/chopper/aftermarket stuff from the 1960's. Half of that area is dedicated to Indian, with one of every year represented. In that area is five diorama's setup of local NY HD dealer workshops from five different era's.

As we were leaving, an attendant asked how we liked the museum. We said it was amazing, but my buddy mentioned that he was disappointed because he didn't see the functional "Wheel of Death" that was mentioned on the website. The guy said "oh, you didn't go downstairs to the main display area?". Uh, no. We shot down there but were pressed for time at that point. They had not one, but two functioning wheel of death's setup - they run them on Saturday, so that would be a good day to go. One of the exhibits in the lower section (HD and Triumph) was a complete setup of of JFK's funeral motorcade.

http://www.motorcyclepediamuseum.org/

A little South of Williamsport, PA is "Bills Bike Barn", also a great place to visit. Bill was an HD dealer in Allentown, but got the boot from the factory when they started requiring the boutique dealerships we see today. Bill is still mad. He's pretty crusty, but will walk around with you. His amazing parts jumble/warehouse is just down the road with tons of OEM/NOS parts and accessories.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7UuOJV7CxU
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Thistleoak

PostSubject: Re: Wheels through time   Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:21 am

Rif Raf good lookin out! I had never really thought about riding around NY area... but Farm country in Northern New York State would be very beautiful and within a days ride of the museum. Do you Ride ?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
riff raff

Registration date : 2011-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Wheels through time   Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:48 am

Thistleoak wrote:
Rif Raf good lookin out!  I had never really thought about riding around NY area... but Farm country in Northern New York State would be very beautiful and within a days ride of the museum. Do you Ride ?

Well, I did. I sold all of my bikes two years ago (two vintage Triumph choppers and one modern Trump). My daughter had a bad wreck on her bike (survived) and that scared my wife who decided she didn't want to ride anymore. I enjoyed riding with her, so after riding solo for two years, I sold my bikes. We had bought a vintage MGB around the same time, which we both enjoy. But, I do miss my bikes.

There is some fantastic riding up around the Catskills area of NY and the Pocono's in nearby PA. I work in NY a lot, so that trip was on a work visit.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Wheels through time
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1