HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

One of the custom knives.....

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Lonecoyote

Registration date : 2016-10-15

PostSubject: One of the custom knives.....   Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:52 am

I made in the past. Have many pictures too also share of some beauties. That's if I see an interest here in the BoB when it comes to knives. I used a 440 HC steel billet, it's a stainless steel with high carbon that holds an edge better then most stainless steel made knives. The handle scales are made with  Redwood and 3 brass pins epoxied to the full tang blade. My last name is acid etched on my knives.  The sheath I used Buffalo hide, an old Buffalo nickel and a .357 shell casing fired from my reliable Colt Python, original owner of this work of Art pistol.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Thistleoak

Registration date : 2012-08-14

PostSubject: Re: One of the custom knives.....   Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:03 am

You are a talented man my friend... looks beautiful. Always wanted to make a knife from scratch but no idea where to start....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lonecoyote

PostSubject: Re: One of the custom knives.....   Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:42 pm

Well, 44 views and only 1 reply. At least I know most on here are not into knives. Saves me time posting more of my own custom made knives. For me, cigars, pipes, knives, rifles & pistols go together...lol. Also lighters and flashlights, almost forgot

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: One of the custom knives.....   Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:28 pm

Don't let lack of replies equate to no interest Ted. There's a great many here who are into knives. And even if not specifically, any handcrafted item is always of interest.

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
Lonecoyote

PostSubject: Re: One of the custom knives.....   Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:54 pm

Brewdude, I've made MANY knives that I've sold over the years, but many I have saved for myself are one of a kind that will be left to my only Grandson. I just feel if not many commented, they really might not be interest at the BoB when it comes to knives. I'll give it some time.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
swhipple

Registration date : 2013-05-02

PostSubject: Re: One of the custom knives.....   Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:42 pm

Nice looking knife there. Excellent work!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Thistleoak

Registration date : 2012-08-14

PostSubject: Re: One of the custom knives.....   Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:17 am

If my memory serves me correctly quite a few on here make knives and i have seen a ton of interest in the past.  It is much slower on here than i remember so that might be why not many comments.  Your finished product is exquisite.   Im trulely jealous, i have always wanted to create somthing like this but dont know how.  Closest i could get is ordering a blade blank and handle  and assembling it.  Also have always been fascinated with rail road spike tomahawks, but alas no knowledge  or even idea where to start.  I beamed when i read you would pass them to your grandson,  that is sooo freaking awesome.  My favorite knives and firearms were passed to me from my grandfather.  If you think of it you doing that could make you immortal. When your grandsons son or even his son or grandson one day asks " dad where did you get those knives?" And your son can tell him some tales starring you.  I see far too few fathers in my generation taking the time to teach our youth and that scares the hell out of me... one day the older generation will have to hang up our axes, saws and firearms because we are too old to tend to the woods and the wilds... who will take care of them when we cant?  I have made it my goal to teach my son and neices and nephews how to tend to the trees, scratch the ground up for a garden plot and hunt.  I want the next following generations to be able to be independent and have the skills and knowledge to live off the land.  My mid twenties neice who i am told is quite a looker and who hails from the city wanted to help me in the woods and honest to goodness has the knowledge and experience on how to change the chain on a saw and adjust the tension and bar.  I know grown ass men that cant even do that Smile  i guess as i step off my soap box i want to say thank you for being an awesome father and grandfather and bettering the future through passing down heirlooms like your knives and lessons on how to be a man in a world where most guys cant take a piss without wetting the front of their pants. Yotie you are a true man amongst men!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lonecoyote

PostSubject: Re: One of the custom knives.....   Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:34 pm

Alex, thank you for the extremely kind words. It's greatly appreciated, more then you know. I've been working with my hands for as long as I can remember. I will every once in a while post other knives I've made in the past. It really stinks that I've been ill for a while now and miss some of the things I use to do. Well, hopefully better days are coming for us all. Your a lucky man to live the way you do, living off the land has always been a dream of mine. Have a wonderful weekend and be well.

PS
I feel compelled to also add: I've lived off the land when I camped, fished or hunted. Alex, to live permanently off the land takes a true man!! May God always watch over you and yours.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Last edited by Lonecoyote on Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BriarBeagle

Registration date : 2016-11-08

PostSubject: Re: One of the custom knives.....   Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:52 pm

Very nice, Coyote. A very utilitarian sort of piece.

I have no knowledge of metallurgy, but have enjoyed the show "forged in fire" over the past few years. It's pretty amazing what you guys do.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GuitarMyFriend

Registration date : 2012-02-23

PostSubject: Re: One of the custom knives.....   Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:26 pm

Lonecoyote! That knife is awesome!
You really got that rosewood to pop! And that sheath is awesome!
Did you dye the sheath your self? I've been thinking about getting into leather working myself.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lonecoyote

PostSubject: Re: One of the custom knives.....   Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:18 pm

GMF, I did dye the leather using what I think is the best dye for leather on the market today, Fiebing's Leather Dye. Its readily available at Amazon. I make small batches and mix with 90% isopropyl, some use stronger but I've never had any issues with my mixture. A small bottle of dye goes a long way. Today I spent some time re-dying my grandsons boots. Tomorrow I will finish the pair with Bee's wax. They look like new.
I really appreciate your comment, thank you.
Oh, to make the Redwood pop I did 6 coats of Tung Oil with 8 hours dry time between each coat. Then wet sanded with 1200 grit sandpaper and finished off with White Diamond on my buffing wheel.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GuitarMyFriend

Registration date : 2012-02-23

PostSubject: Re: One of the custom knives.....   Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:21 pm

Well it looks great!!! Is the Fiebing's Leather dye ready to use right out of the bottle?
Zach
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lonecoyote

PostSubject: Re: One of the custom knives.....   Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:15 pm

Zach, the dye is concentrated in the bottle, to thick to use straight. Some use mineral spirits or Everclear in which I find to strong. After years of using 90% alcohol or isopropyl I find the dye deeply penetrates the leather much better. Fiebing's also sells a product to coat and finish after dying but I choose to use Bee's wax, which also waterproofs. I've made many holsters using this method and so do other leather craftsman. Watch some different videos on YouTube and feel free to ask me any questions. The fun part is when you have to stitch the leather by hand and/or stamp a design within the leather. Also watch videos pertaining to stitching leather by hand. Make yourself a billfold first, always a good project and then a lined leather pouch for tobacco on the go. Good luck, Ted

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile

One of the custom knives.....
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1