HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Looking for your input and suggestions!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
AdamCordray

Registration date : 2016-08-08

PostSubject: Looking for your input and suggestions!    Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:56 pm

The cigar lounge that I frequent is looking to expand their pipe tobacco offerings -- as one of their regular customers who is often seen smoking a pipe they asked for my input.

Currently they have some Dunhill and Drew Estate tins, as well as a few OTC pouches. They carry only three bulk blends which have a different name in the store but are at least very similar to the more widely known Lane 1-Q, Lane RLP-6, and Lane BC-A.

Today the store manager and I were looking through a catalog and there is a ton of stuff that I haven't smoked or isn't something I would expect to like... As much as I would love for them to start carrying all of my favorite blends, they probably wouldn't end up with an appropriately varied range of blends to suit most people. I recognize that I have my own bias, and you will have your own bias, but with enough input I can combine that to give them some reasonable recommendations.

So here it is...
What pipe tobacco would you expect a brick and mortar to stock in bulk?
What pipe tobacco would you expect a brick and mortar to stock in tins?

Thanks for any input may be able to offer!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AJ

Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Looking for your input and suggestions!    Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:01 pm

This is an easy one. McClelland tins and bulk. With these in stock they will be able to offer a great variety of top selling premium blends.  Smile

AJ
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Thistleoak

Registration date : 2012-08-14

PostSubject: Re: Looking for your input and suggestions!    Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:02 pm

AJ wrote:
This is an easy one. McClelland tins and bulk. With these in stock they will be able to offer a great variety of top selling premium blends.  Smile

AJ
You beat me to it
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Looking for your input and suggestions!    Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:48 pm

He's already got Dunhill and the Lanes. McClelland would be my choice, but from the owner's viewpoint Mac Baren's offerings might sell better. I have never seen McClelland sell all that well in any b&m I'm familiar with. The tins tend to collect more dust, relatively speaking. I may underestimate the tastes of smokers in NW Indiana, but aromatics are where it's at in any place I've been. Mac Baren would be a step up for the curious. I used to travel. A lot. Perhaps my observations are obsolete.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
idbowman

Registration date : 2011-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Looking for your input and suggestions!    Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:58 pm

I can't believe no one said Peterson or Macbaren. yet.  I'd expect to see McClelland, Peterson, and MacBaren tins (plus the Dunhill they already have)...that gives you plenty of choices that include aromatic, va, vaper, and latakia blends without carrying a massive inventory.

For bulk, I'd expect to see something from Stokkebye and a wider range of Lane products.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Looking for your input and suggestions!    Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:29 am

And then there's Cornell & Diehl.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Looking for your input and suggestions!    Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:35 am

McClelland bulks for sure, but no broken flake stuff. Most folks might find the prep tiresome and or tedious. Load and go.

Some of the Stokebye bulks, probably one of each genre'. Well, more likely a couple of their Aros, an English and an American, etc... Inexpensive. Again, no LBF, LTF or NF.

1-Q, BCA and maybe a couple of others from Lane.

Tins? Seasonal offerings in timely fashion from mainstream manufacturers. Then the fun stuff like Escudo, Orlik Slices, Dunhill's Nightcap, Flake, EMP, and maybe 965. Maybe, just maybe, some various offerings from either of the Gawith houses. Scattered offering from Mac Baren and McClelland, but probably not whole series. Same with C&D and Pease.

Of course, the 'Codger' blends would be there. CH, H&H, PA, and Sir Walter. Most likely in pouch form, a couple of better sellers in tubs. Other pouches might be Borkum Riff stuff, Captain Black, and maybe Amorpha...

That's what I would EXPECT to find................. One could hope for more!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lonecoyote

Registration date : 2016-10-15

PostSubject: Re: Looking for your input and suggestions!    Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:36 am

McClelland tins for sure. I also agree with C&D, some real fine blends. Most GLP and Rattray's tobacco's will sell. ALL of your basic pouch blends like CH, SWR,PA and the new Amphoras. He will not lose money on tinned tobacco, explain to the owner of the B&M that with age tinned tobacco's get better. Around May of 2018 the FDA regulation on selling loose tobacco's will be enforced, so I would be careful on stocking up on bulks that won't fly out the door. Both J&R Cigar and Tobacco B&M 's here in NC no longer sell loose bulk tobacco's because they already had a written warning. So basically I would nix the sale of bulk blends that he has to store jarred. He can be written up if anyone complains he's selling loose blends. Go with tinned and pouch tobacco's only.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Last edited by Lonecoyote on Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:17 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Looking for your input and suggestions!    Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:09 pm

If I were to walk into a brick and mortar pipe shop, I would be very impressed simply to find a balanced selection of non-aromatic blends to go along with the standard better selling aromatics.

A range of tinned blends from Rattray's (Hal O' the Wynd, Old Gowrie, Marlin Flake, Red Rapparree, Black Mallory, Bagpiper's Dream), C&D/GLP, McClelland (Blackwoods Flake, British Woods, Froggies, VA Woods, perhaps a small selection of club blends and Grand Orientals), Sam Gawith (St. James Flake, FVF, Commonwealth, Skiff, Squadron Leader, Golden Glow as well as some STG (Orlik, Dunghills), Mac Baren (HH's, roll cakes, VA no.1, some of the 7 Seas blends for premium aros)

For bulks a few C&D's, a couple McClellands and the Stokkebye trifecta would be nice. Gawith boxes could always be broken up and sold by the ounce. I am always impressed when I see premiums sold this way, one of our B&M's, the Briar Patch does this.

Of course, considering how many pipe smokers are actually aromatic smokers, in reality my suggestions would be in the minority and put your friend's shop at a financial disadvantage.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fumus

Registration date : 2014-11-24

PostSubject: Re: Looking for your input and suggestions!    Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:25 pm

As for tinned tobaccos, what about Sutliff or Tsuge? Sutliff seems fairly affordable for the most part and although I've only tried a couple of the Tsuge offerings so far, I have enjoyed them. Also the tin art of the Tsuge would be an asset to any window display, I should think.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrT999

Registration date : 2011-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Looking for your input and suggestions!    Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:53 pm

I think I would have to agree with either McClellend's or C&D. If their pipe customers tend towards the +40, include some of the Sutliff matches of old discontinued favorites
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999
Thistleoak

PostSubject: Re: Looking for your input and suggestions!    Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:09 pm

DrT999 wrote:
I think I would have to agree with either McClellend's or C&D.  If their pipe customers tend towards the +40, include some of the Sutliff matches of old discontinued favorites
Speaking of sutliff... what ever happened to fieldmaster... used to love that
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Thistleoak

PostSubject: Re: Looking for your input and suggestions!    Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:32 pm

DrT999 wrote:
I think I would have to agree with either McClellend's or C&D.  If their pipe customers tend towards the +40, include some of the Sutliff matches of old discontinued favorites
Speaking of sutliff... what ever happened to fieldmaster... used to love that
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Looking for your input and suggestions!    Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:28 pm

I think D&B hit the nail on the head. What appeals to most of here is probably going to be slow sellers at a lot of B&M's, unless they have a customer base that is experienced. And it sounds like that might not be the case.

Yes of course that can be developed over time, yet initially bringing in a lot of straight 'ginnys/VaPers/Lat blends might prove to be slow sellers. Perhaps a few of those, but more emphasis on quality non-goopy aros/OTC pouch blends/and crossover blends to start with. That could enable the proprietor to grow his customer base and develop their palate at the same time.

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
AdamCordray

Registration date : 2016-08-08

PostSubject: Re: Looking for your input and suggestions!    Sat Nov 26, 2016 5:40 pm

Thanks for everyone's input, I'll talk with the owner and let him know what you all have recommended. I would like him to at least bring in one offering of quality virginia and/or VaPer bulk, and one quality Balkan or English blend. The tinned options he has readily available aren't too shabby, but getting the C&D, GL Pease and McClellands would require more work on his part. Overall, I think it would be worth that extra effort, and tins in particular won't go bad, require maintenance, or take up humidor space. They may not sell off right away, but it seems like a relatively safe investment.

Adam
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Looking for your input and suggestions!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1