HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Attention: POSSIBLE forum changes; Your Opinion Needed.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 

Turn off post counts?
Yes
45%
 45% [ 15 ]
No
21%
 21% [ 7 ]
Don't care
33%
 33% [ 11 ]
Total Votes : 33

AuthorMessage
puros_bran
Nightrider

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Attention: POSSIBLE forum changes; Your Opinion Needed.    Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:55 am

We admins/mods were shown by a kindly gentleman how to disable post counts. Because we have always held that BoB is ran by the members we thought it best to run it by you folk. We've also always held that a member is a member regardless of how much they post or how long they've been here, so it does make sense to turn it off.

Please record a vote, and if desired type up an opinion.

puros_bran
Nightrider

PostSubject: Re: Attention: POSSIBLE forum changes; Your Opinion Needed.    Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:19 am

The post count, like the list of pipes & tobaccos would still show up in the profile. If you keep count for whatever reason (perhaps to join the Trading Post) it will be there.

Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Attention: POSSIBLE forum changes; Your Opinion Needed.    Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:51 am

I voted yes, turn them off please.

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
Stick

Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Attention: POSSIBLE forum changes; Your Opinion Needed.    Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:32 pm

I'm with my learned colleague above ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

PostSubject: Re: Attention: POSSIBLE forum changes; Your Opinion Needed.    Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:12 pm

FWIW: We can't see how someone votes.
As of now there are 7 turn them offs, 4 leave them on, and 6 that don't care.

For those that have voted to leave them on. If you aren't comfortable posting about it I or any other admin/mod would welcome a PM explaining why... There may be a valid reason that the rest of us are overlooking. I don't want to alienate any brothers trying to promote unity. That's kinda self defeating.

Thistleoak

Registration date : 2012-08-14

PostSubject: Re: Attention: POSSIBLE forum changes; Your Opinion Needed.    Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:25 pm

puros_bran wrote:
FWIW: We can't see how someone votes.
As of now there are 7 turn them offs, 4 leave them on, and 6 that don't care.

For those that have voted to leave them on. If you aren't comfortable posting about it I or any other admin/mod would welcome a PM explaining why... There may be a valid reason that the rest of us are overlooking. I don't want to alienate any brothers trying to promote unity. That's kinda self defeating.
Well played my vote is for Puros in 2020
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

PostSubject: Re: Attention: POSSIBLE forum changes; Your Opinion Needed.    Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:28 pm

You don't want me in charge, I'm prone to asshattery.

ontariopiper

Registration date : 2015-03-10

PostSubject: Re: Attention: POSSIBLE forum changes; Your Opinion Needed.    Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:42 pm

I'm not sure I've every even noticed the post counts before this question was raised. I'm good if they stay, good if they don't.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.dadspipes.com
DoverPipes

Registration date : 2009-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Attention: POSSIBLE forum changes; Your Opinion Needed.    Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:34 pm

Turn them off?
Huh??? Just when I was about to get a prize for the number of my posts!!!! lol!

Don't care either way........
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

PostSubject: Re: Attention: POSSIBLE forum changes; Your Opinion Needed.    Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:48 pm

Dover you're tops in my book post count or no post count.

In an hour and fifteen minutes it will be thanksgiving.
One of the things I am thankful for are men like you.
Thank you for your service to this nation, and thank you for helping the White Hats be better White Hats.
I'm sure their families thank you as well, even though you probably never hear it.

puros_bran
Nightrider

PostSubject: Re: Attention: POSSIBLE forum changes; Your Opinion Needed.    Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:38 pm

With a 14 turn it off, 7 leave it on, and 11 don't care vote recorded the post counts have been turned off.

Again, if you are one of the seven and would like to appeal the matter please pm Carlos, Mark, or if desperate me. Reverting this change is simple and it's not to late for one of us to say, "holy crap we were going to screw the universe up, thanks for speaking up".

Lonecoyote

Registration date : 2016-10-15

PostSubject: Re: Attention: POSSIBLE forum changes; Your Opinion Needed.    Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:55 pm

I did not join this forum for post count, I joined to share and learn. I have NO intentions of ever selling within this forum or any other. It's still in your profile if anyone cares to look.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

PostSubject: Re: Attention: POSSIBLE forum changes; Your Opinion Needed.    Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:13 am

Either the option didn't exist until recently or we were all too ignorant to find it.

Post counts can be fun, or they can be used to bully. At Knox Cigar there were ranks tied to post count. It was fun to become a Yoda at the 2,000 post mark. Lol.
But as often as not post count is used to weigh the merit of the poster. Talking more doesn't equal being more informed of the subject matter. Usually the exact opposite thing is true. Click on my profile and see my post count, you'll see what I mean. Lol.
Kyle, who sits above me but below Jim on the post count o meter has a neat little saying as his signature.
"Post Count Quality: Move the decimal to the left once to be fair, twice to be honest."

As for never selling, don't be so sure. We welcome honest sellers. We have some pipe makers, tamper creators, knife guru (you and blackhorse off the top of my head), a few tobacco blenders, and sadly guys that have passed on or quit smoking have their collections sold here. Plus trade deals pop up quite often. The trading threads group is a good one to partake of.

Lonecoyote

Registration date : 2016-10-15

PostSubject: Re: Attention: POSSIBLE forum changes; Your Opinion Needed.    Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:29 am

As a former admin/mod of a classic car and hot rod forum through Hemmings Motor News I learned years ago..." Never sell within a forum where you an active member ". So I can assure you 110% that I would never sell within this forum.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DoverPipes

PostSubject: Re: Attention: POSSIBLE forum changes; Your Opinion Needed.    Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:47 am

puros_bran wrote:
Dover you're tops in my book post count or no post count.

In an hour and fifteen minutes it will be thanksgiving.
One of the things I am thankful for are men like you.
Thank you for your service to this nation, and thank you for helping the White Hats be better White Hats.
I'm sure their families thank you as well, even though you probably never hear it.

Thanks for that PB!!! Sometimes it's a thankless job, other times it's quite rewarding. It truly is a "calling". For me, I have recently struggled with whether it is really "worth it". Seeing how mismanaged my agency is, the incompetence of our management in DC, how the media and the left view us, etc etc etc.

I am looking towards the future sooner than I had expected. I have thought about leaving my agency and working as a part- time Police Officer in a couple of local towns. The pace would be slower and the pay would definitely be lower, but I would have more control of my career and not have to deal with politics that I don't necessarily believe in (open borders, not vetting refugees, watch listing, investigating political foes, etc) Hopefully things will do a 180 turn with the new administration and I will once again feel proud about my mission and about my agency in general.

On another front....."The Woe is me" part of this post! Crying or Very sad
I am recovering from a car crash that totaled my Crown Vic. I blasted a deer doing around 80 on my way to work and I ended up in a ditch with "airbag face" and "Belt burn". They carted me off to the ER in an ambulance. I have to see a neck surgeon to look at my CT scan results. It appears I may have some new damage to my neck in addition to my previous disc and nerve issues. affraid

The Trooper who did the accident report said I was lucky I was in a Crown Vic and not in a Prius!!!! The deer was a mess and lucky for me, didn't roll over the hood and into the windshield. Never brake......ever!

If that wasn't bad enough.....
Unfortunately, I was unable to celebrate Thanksgiving this year. I was at the bedside of my Father in Law, along with my Wife and her extended family, as he passed away from a very short battle with a very radical form of brain cancer.

We decided to put the holiday gather off for a couple of weeks as we plan for his upcoming funeral this coming Wednesday. We will be celebrating his life in true Irish fashion with "afters". Storytelling, Traditional Irish Musicians will be playing several "seisiuns", Bagpipers, many toasts and roasts to him and all present.

After I "dry out", then I will go back to work and do what I do for the citizens of this country. Hopefully, the coming year will be a better one than this one has been for me and everyone else in this Nation!!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
daveinlax

Registration date : 2007-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Attention: POSSIBLE forum changes; Your Opinion Needed.    Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:12 pm

DoverPipes wrote:
Hopefully things will do a 180 turn with the new administration and I will once again feel proud about my mission and about my agency in general.
LoL Yeah he'll turn it around by privatizing your dept and you'll be wearing a black and gold Trump Security Service mall cop uniform. I hope they don't bill you for the Crown Vic.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

PostSubject: Re: Attention: POSSIBLE forum changes; Your Opinion Needed.    Sat Nov 26, 2016 3:02 pm

Man.. I don't even know what to say. I'm thankful you are still with us.
Takes every ounce of self awareness and self control not to slap the brakes.

The whole watchlist thing.. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
I'm sure I'm on a watchlist but really don't care. I'm just an angry gimp, it's not like I could 'freedom fight' even if it was my desire. Wink
I am an avid gun owner and collector but all I ever do with them is make pop cans dance out in the back yard.

Last edited by puros_bran on Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DoverPipes

PostSubject: Re: Attention: POSSIBLE forum changes; Your Opinion Needed.    Sat Nov 26, 2016 3:52 pm

daveinlax wrote:
DoverPipes wrote:
Hopefully things will do a 180 turn with the new administration and I will once again feel proud about my mission and about my agency in general.
LoL Yeah he'll turn it around by privatizing your dept and you'll be wearing a black and gold Trump Security Service mall cop uniform. I hope they don't bill you for the Crown Vic.

Unlikely. The last administration has eroded more rights than any other that I can remember. Not really looking for a battle over politics with anyone, just said how I feel about MY situation and how things have effected me.

The car was mine. I'll eat that cost right before the holidays. Yay....

Definitely not "Mall Cop" material. Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stick

Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Attention: POSSIBLE forum changes; Your Opinion Needed.    Sat Nov 26, 2016 4:08 pm

I.... feel..... somewhat......naked!

Phew, it's like a jolly good spring clean! I'm cleansed! Praise be!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse

Registration date : 2010-10-23

PostSubject: Re: Attention: POSSIBLE forum changes; Your Opinion Needed.    Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:10 pm

Didn't see this in time to cast a vote.

It is what it is, but seems like very few votes directed a change for a very large number of members. Not a complaint, just an observation.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

PostSubject: Re: Attention: POSSIBLE forum changes; Your Opinion Needed.    Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:32 pm

106 members logged in during the 2 day vote. I can do a lot of things but I can not make people vote if they do not want to.

Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: Attention: POSSIBLE forum changes; Your Opinion Needed.    Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:01 pm

Again..."Not a complaint..."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

PostSubject: Re: Attention: POSSIBLE forum changes; Your Opinion Needed.    Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:22 pm

I was replying to your post. If I came off short I apologize, it was unintended.

Expanding on my response.
We have a false notions that BoB is bigger than it is because we have over 3,000 members. If you open the membersist and go back through any 30 days of log-ins you will find that we average less than 200 separate individuals per 30 days. So in two days time over half of the members that logged in at least once a month had access to the thread.

I'm being as open and straightforward as possible. If you have a reason that we shouldn't have done this, or recognize how this could bite us in the butt please pm Carlos, Mark, or myself.

We had some members complaining, and almost like magic another forumotion forum that several members here frequent figured out how to 'hide' post counts and pipe & tobacco likes in the individual members profiles instead of on every post.

Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Attention: POSSIBLE forum changes; Your Opinion Needed.    Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:45 pm

200 still sounds like a lot of people to me. One wonders how many 'active' members there are.......
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: Attention: POSSIBLE forum changes; Your Opinion Needed.    Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:50 pm

I understand the difference between total members and active members and agree with the math. 200 seems about right to me. I often noted that about 50 members were the 'Shopping Members" that would open a post in the Trading Post to see details on items for sale. I think most sections on the site have their regulars. So 200 would indeed represent "total active users" or whatever.

I wasn't trying to imply anything wrong or incorrect had been done. It just struck me that few people had actually voted to make a change.

You Mods do a fine job that we all appreciate. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Attention: POSSIBLE forum changes; Your Opinion Needed.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1