HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Peterson Christmas Pipe 2016

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: Peterson Christmas Pipe 2016   Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:55 pm

I have had 6 Peterson in the past. And I have gotten rid of all of them as they had quality control issues/smoked terribly. I said "never again". But then, of course, I saw the 2016 edition of their Christmas pipe and think it looks fairly decent. I am especially interested in their 87 shape.

So I was wondering if any of you has one? And what would be his opinion of it? Do they smoke hot? Is the stain affected? Are they hard to build a cake? Etc, etc.
Thanks for your feedback, mateys.

Last edited by Lord Guyrox on Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Lonecoyote

Registration date : 2016-10-15

PostSubject: Re: Peterson Christmas Pipe 2016   Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:18 pm

Guy, hope your doing well. A pipe friend of mine has the pipe in question. After roughly 10 uses the finish started to get bubbles on the outside. I had to sand the poor quality briar and I rusticated the bowl and used black dye for the finish. He likes how it smokes but it's basically a pipe that gets hot easy. I had a Pete I purchased in 2013, sent it back to the factory because the draft was way off!! Great customer service, the pipe was replaced without a hassle. But ask me if I would ever purchase a new Pete....NOT!! Now, that's from my experience, so you Pete lovers don't jump all over me bounce bounce

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KevinM

Registration date : 2012-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Peterson Christmas Pipe 2016   Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:36 pm

I have maybe ten or so Petes, And most are "made in the Republic of Ireland." I have had some quality issues with newer Petes -- gaps between stummel and bit, a cracked bit ... Annoying, but quickly fixed and returned. None of the quality issues negMatively affected smoking. But annoying as I said. One of my best smoking pipes is an Irish Second -- I.e., Pete -- that I bought fifty years ago, among my first. It's a plain, Slightly chunky, unembellished, straight, smooth, light billiard with several small fills and a stem I bit through a decade ago. ( I am reluctant to send it away for repair and belatedly put a rubber bite protector on it) I'm sure my old Pete would be seen as a knockabout pipe by any sensible piper. But it smokes anything I put in it like a dream. You can take your chances. Maybe quality has improved. Check it over carefully, if you buy new, and return (unsmoked) if you find conspicuous flaws. Or possibly buy an estate Pete. Good luck.

P.S. FWIW I think the metal doodad Pete puts on some briars is too big and looks clunky. YMMV
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lonecoyote

Registration date : 2016-10-15

PostSubject: Re: Peterson Christmas Pipe 2016   Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:40 pm

Guy, I agree what KevinM what he stated in his last sentence..." Buy an Estate Pete ". That's when they were crafted with pride. Look at the Pete 999.
Good luck.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Peterson Christmas Pipe 2016   Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:48 am

Well I am happy I managed to retain some control over myself since yesterday. One side of me really wants the pipe. The other side remembers very well what those last 6 Peterson pipes ended up being like. I do not like to waste my money.
So, I'm not sure I will pull the trigger on that one, as you guys say.

@Lord Coyote: thanks for the recommendation, but I don't buy estate pipes; unless they are unsmoked.
Back to top Go down
Thistleoak

Registration date : 2012-08-14

PostSubject: Re: Peterson Christmas Pipe 2016   Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:20 am

Savanelli has a might handsome Nicholas pipe for christmas!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KevinM

Registration date : 2012-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Peterson Christmas Pipe 2016   Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:38 pm

Your Lordship -- I know whereof ye speak. Lately my head has been having a much bigger vote in my pipe purchases than my heart. The shape you like is readily available, so if and when you get interested again, there sould be pipes available to your liking.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Psmith

Registration date : 2013-04-21

PostSubject: Re: Peterson Christmas Pipe 2016   Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:50 am

I have that exact same shape by Peterson but not the Christmas version...just the Army briar. Love it...smokes great! Its pretty much my go to.
That sure is a nice one and I don't think you will be disappointed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Puffer Mark

Registration date : 2014-07-14

PostSubject: Re: Peterson Christmas Pipe 2016   Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:14 am

I have 6 Petes, all estates. Let's see now. A Pre-rep Bullcap which I don't smoke often due to its diminutive bowl. A system 309, two Kildares (105 and a 68), A Flame Grain 1/4 bent Brandy, and a recently acquired Donegal Rocky 999.

The 05 Kildare smokes hot as a pistol and the Flame Grain still feels like it needs more breaking in, even though the rim was well caked up when I got it. The 999 smokes very well, but the best of all, hands down, is the old battered 309. Smokes anything down to ash even FVF straight out the tin. Makes the hassle of dealing with cleaning a system pipe well worth it Guess that's the reason its old and well used.

So a new Pete? Not for me, but I'll take my chances with estates for sure.

Not very helpful in terms of the Christmas pipe, I know, but my 2c.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Peterson Christmas Pipe 2016
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1