HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Who has tried Dunhill Dark Flake and Ye old Signe?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Who has tried Dunhill Dark Flake and Ye old Signe?   Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:40 pm

So far there's only 3 reviews each of these on the review site, and none of them are from pipers I follow - not to say that they aren't competent - only that I haven't followed their reviews and compared them to mine.

What I'd really like is to have either Jim or any of the BoB'ers weigh in on this before I take the plunge. Buying blind has proven to cause buyers remorse in the past.

The descriptions look intriguing, and I do respect Dunhill as a brand in general. Still....

Anyone?

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Who has tried Dunhill Dark Flake and Ye old Signe?   Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:52 pm

Funny, I was looking at those same two blends on SP earlier today. I'm sure JimInks will have a review up before too long.

-Yak
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: Who has tried Dunhill Dark Flake and Ye old Signe?   Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:02 pm

MisterE wrote:
Funny, I was looking at those same two blends on SP earlier today. I'm sure JimInks will have a review up before too long.

That's what I'm holding out for.

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
fsu92john

Registration date : 2014-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Who has tried Dunhill Dark Flake and Ye old Signe?   Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:09 pm

Speaking on the basis of only one bowl (so far) of each, I was impressed by the Dark Flake, which is very rich and naturally sweet. The Perique is on the stewed-fruit rather than the pepper side of things. Assuming the rest of the tin is as enjoyable, I'll be ordering a bunch of it.

Ye Olde Signe has so far made less of an impression on me; it reminds me a bit of the re-released Three Year Matured Virginia, but without the Royal Yacht-ish topping (which I quite enjoy in the TYMV).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JimInks

Registration date : 2012-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Who has tried Dunhill Dark Flake and Ye old Signe?   Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:48 pm

I'd like to try them, too, but money's tight at this time of year, especially as it looks like I'm going to have a root canal this week, and God knows how much that'll cost me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MisterE

PostSubject: Re: Who has tried Dunhill Dark Flake and Ye old Signe?   Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:19 pm

Sorry to hear that, Jim! The dreaded endodontist. affraid

-Yak
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MisterE

PostSubject: Re: Who has tried Dunhill Dark Flake and Ye old Signe?   Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:23 pm

fsu92john wrote:
Speaking on the basis of only one bowl (so far) of each, I was impressed by the Dark Flake, which is very rich and naturally sweet. The Perique is on the stewed-fruit rather than the pepper side of things. Assuming the rest of the tin is as enjoyable, I'll be ordering a bunch of it.

Ye Olde Signe has so far made less of an impression on me; it reminds me a bit of the re-released Three Year Matured Virginia, but without the Royal Yacht-ish topping (which I quite enjoy in the TYMV).

The Dark Flake is what caught my eye, and from your description, I think I'll like it.

-Yak
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JimInks

PostSubject: Re: Who has tried Dunhill Dark Flake and Ye old Signe?   Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:31 pm

MisterE wrote:
Sorry to hear that, Jim! The dreaded endodontist. affraid

I've been going to the same dentist since 1982, and he's never hurt me, but nobody enjoys having a root canal. Especially me, as it'll cut into my smoking time, durn it! That hurts almost as much as it'll hurt my bank account. As it is, I can hardly chew on the left side of my mouth, which isn't fun, but I haven't stopped smoking though. What does concern me is that molar already has a filling. I hope this doesn't turn into needing a crown, too.

If these two are close to the older versions I tried, I expect they'll be very good.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lonecoyote

Registration date : 2016-10-15

PostSubject: Re: Who has tried Dunhill Dark Flake and Ye old Signe?   Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:21 pm

I smoked the Dunhill Dark Flake last week with a friend that dropped by with an unopened tin. He wanted me to open the tin and see what I thought about the aroma. Well, I opened the tin and noticed an aroma of a dark yeasty bread, brown sugar and molasses, well that reminded me of the fresh pumpernickel bread I use to purchase often when I lived in Europe. Extremely pleasant smoke, you can pick up the flavors of the brown sugar and molasses just ever so slightly. It was good but I'm sure it will get even better with some age. Yes, I want to cellar a few tins. Yes, someone will be getting me a few tins as a holiday gift, my pipe buddy from NY who also will be ordering a number of tins to cellar. I do think you should purchase at least one tin and give it a try, you will not be disappointed. These are pre-2007 blends being re-released now for a reason, now that I said it you figured out why now...lol. I'm sure we will see a few old blends back on the market within this coming year. Just a strong feeling I have, like a hint from a blender I've known for years who lives in Europe.  

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
standaman

Registration date : 2016-11-17

PostSubject: I'm enjoying both right now.   Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:37 pm

I bought several tins of both of these re-issued blends. I've smoked four or five bowls of the Dark Flake, and several bowls of Ye Olde Signe. Dark Flake is, as reported by others, a delicious VA/Per flake with a less peppery type of Perique which I really enjoy. The medium bodied flake comes from the tin with an aroma of bread, lightly fragrant and the flakes are moist, but rub out easily and with a brief drying, pack and light easily. Without comparing it to other blends, or flowery words describing the nuance of individual flavors, all I can say is that it's easy to enjoy, a good all day smoke due to it's medium strength.
As for Ye Olde Signe I'd say that my review would be about the same. The tin aroma is light, reminding me of a tea aroma, with a bread like quality. The broken, rubbed out ribbons come perfect to pack easily and light well. Again the body is medium, but flavorful with Virginia's typical natural sweetness and a medium finish. It smokes cool, even in my brand new Moonshine Pipe XXX Devil Anse with its smaller proportions and short shank and stem. There's some piquant edges but the taste is a bit darker, less sweet, reminding me of a good cigar that you can easily spend the day with. It's nothing revolutionary or unique, but I like it very much, and expect to buy more of both in the near future. Don't wait. Buy it before the FDA deems it out of existence!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: Who has tried Dunhill Dark Flake and Ye old Signe?   Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:47 pm

Thanks for the reviews stan, Ted, and John (have I missed anyone?). Very encouraging intel.

Cool

Cheers,

RR

edit to add: Jim, hope your root canal goes at least as well as mine did back around '95. I asked for the maximum Novocaine and got it. The result - I was in the chair for like a whole hour, I felt absolutely nothing as the whole side of my face was numb. Took the better part of the evening to regain feeling and I drooled like anything!

Gotta say I felt nothing again as the first phase was removing the root and placing a temporary crown, and the second phase when they installed the permanent crown went as before. No discomfort to speak of really, but there again I don't have a dread of Dentists. YMMY!
Back to top Go down
JimInks

PostSubject: Re: Who has tried Dunhill Dark Flake and Ye old Signe?   Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:19 am

Brewdude wrote:
Thanks for the reviews stan, Ted, and John (have I missed anyone?). Very encouraging intel.

Cool

Cheers,

RR

edit to add: Jim, hope your root canal goes at least as well as mine did back around '95. I asked for the maximum Novocaine and got it. The result - I was in the chair for like a whole hour, I felt absolutely nothing as the whole side of my face was numb. Took the better part of the evening to regain feeling and I drooled like anything!

Gotta say I felt nothing again as the first phase was removing the root and placing a temporary crown, and the second phase when they installed the permanent crown went as before. No discomfort to speak of really, but there again I don't have a dread of Dentists. YMMY!

I'm not afraid of dentists. I have a very good dentist. I'm more concerned about how much this will cost. I talked to one of his assistants yesterday and gave her an update on how the pain and antibiotic meds are working. She said somebody would call me today, and tell me how they were going to proceed. They were concerned I may have an abscess because of that tooth.

On another note, a really cool and generous forum member is sending me a sample of the Dark Flake. Hope I can smoke and review it before whatever the dentist has planned for me. So, I'll at least be able to review that one. As I had recently smoked the Murray's version (and of Ye Olde Signe, too), I'm curious to see how it compares. But, I'll let you know as soon as I can.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fight'n Hampsters

Registration date : 2011-07-28

PostSubject: Re: Who has tried Dunhill Dark Flake and Ye old Signe?   Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:26 am

Lonecoyote wrote:
These are pre-2007 blends being re-released now for a reason

My understanding of the FDA regs are that even though it is an old blend being brought back it will still have to go through the new process to stay in production. It only skips that process if it was in production as of Feb 2007. All that to say, it will probably go away in a couple of years. Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online

PostSubject: Re: Who has tried Dunhill Dark Flake and Ye old Signe?   Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:20 pm

Lord Brewdude, I read that the Olde Signe is very close to Royal Yacht, without the topping being as pronounced. I'm not sure about Dark Flake, haven't seen any feedback. Maybe on TR?
Back to top Go down
idbowman

Registration date : 2011-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Who has tried Dunhill Dark Flake and Ye old Signe?   Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:52 pm

BD: Not much to add other than to say I pretty much agree with what's already been said. The Dark Flake really is good stuff, assuming you like a naturally sweet VaPer where the perique tends towards dark fruits (which, personally, is RIGHT in my wheelhouse). Make no mistake - the perique isn't entirely without some pepper - it's certainly in there - but pepper isn't the defining characteristic by any stretch. It reminds me of a Red Va/moderate Perique blend that already has some age on it (where the perique mellows and darkens). If that's the sort of blend you dig, I can't imagine this would let you down.

I've only had 3 bowls of the YOS, but it's kind of a non-event for me. It's not bad, I'm not saying that...it's just that out of everything that's good about it, I can't think of other blends that don't do it better. If you're placing an order, it might be worth trying - if nothing else, it's inoffensive that you probably won't toss it after two bowls. But it's pretty unremarkable in my book.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: Who has tried Dunhill Dark Flake and Ye old Signe?   Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:39 pm

idbowman wrote:
BD: Not much to add other than to say I pretty much agree with what's already been said.  The Dark Flake really is good stuff, assuming you like a naturally sweet VaPer where the perique tends towards dark fruits (which, personally, is RIGHT in my wheelhouse).  Make no mistake - the perique isn't entirely without some pepper - it's certainly in there - but pepper isn't the defining characteristic by any stretch.  It reminds me of a Red Va/moderate Perique blend that already has some age on it (where the perique mellows and darkens).  If that's the sort of blend you dig, I can't imagine this would let you down.

I've only had 3 bowls of the YOS, but it's kind of a non-event for me.  It's not bad, I'm not saying that...it's just that out of everything that's good about it, I can't think of other blends that don't do it better.  If you're placing an order, it might be worth trying - if nothing else, it's inoffensive that you probably won't toss it after two bowls.  But it's pretty unremarkable in my book.  

Thanks for the intel Ian.

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Who has tried Dunhill Dark Flake and Ye old Signe?   Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:36 pm

I bit the hook and got one of each, with a pound of Newminster SRS, a Rattray's 2014 Summer Edition, and a pouch of Amorpha Full. (Getting to really liking that one for working with a pipe in my mouth)........

I promised no TAD this month, so I kept it down to enough to get the free shipping. Unfortunately it is at 50 bucks at Smokingpipes this month...........

(grumble, grumble, grumble........)

Anyway, Should be here in a few......
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: Who has tried Dunhill Dark Flake and Ye old Signe?   Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:09 pm

Ozark Wizard wrote:
I bit the hook and got one of each, with a pound of Newminster SRS, a Rattray's 2014 Summer Edition, and a pouch of Amorpha Full. (Getting to really liking that one for working with a pipe in my mouth)........

I promised no TAD this month, so I kept it down to enough to get the free shipping. Unfortunately it is at 50 bucks at Smokingpipes this month...........

(grumble, grumble, grumble........)

Anyway, Should be here in a few......

I'll be interested to hear your take Ozzie.

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
JimInks

PostSubject: Re: Who has tried Dunhill Dark Flake and Ye old Signe?   Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:55 pm

I smoked a bowl of the Dark Flake, and am about to smoke another. A friend is sending me a sample of Ye Olde Signe. Hope I can smoke and review that before I have the root canal (waiting for the dentist to set up that appointment). My initial thoughts on the DF is that it's good, but is a three star blend out of four. Reminds me a little of a toned down Dunhill Navy Rolls.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

PostSubject: Re: Who has tried Dunhill Dark Flake and Ye old Signe?   Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:03 pm

Well, both tins showed up, but they sat in the mailbox for most of the day, and they are frozen solid........

I have them thawing as well speak, and I'll let you know 'whazzup'.......
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: Who has tried Dunhill Dark Flake and Ye old Signe?   Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:49 pm

Received a sample of DDF from an upstanding BoB brother and will be giving this a test drive asap. Mine also arrived in sub-zero temps so hope it's not compromised.

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
Ozark Wizard

PostSubject: Re: Who has tried Dunhill Dark Flake and Ye old Signe?   Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:10 pm

OK, I'm thinking if McC's 2015 and Rattray's Marlin Flake had a baby, it would be DDF. Lost the 'ketchup', and diluted the rich tones of Marlin.

But this first impression is based on one bowl, in a Falcon, in 20-something degree F conditions. I'll give it another go in one of my woodies in the heated barn next.........
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: Who has tried Dunhill Dark Flake and Ye old Signe?   Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:46 pm

Ozark Wizard wrote:
OK, I'm thinking if McC's 2015 and Rattray's Marlin Flake had a baby, it would be DDF. Lost the 'ketchup', and diluted the rich tones of Marlin.

But this first impression is based on one bowl, in a Falcon, in 20-something degree F conditions. I'll give it another go in one of my woodies in the heated barn next.........

Interesting, your comparisons there Ozzie. 2015 and the classic version of Ratty's MF are solid faves of mine. That being the case I'll surely enjoy this one!

rabbit

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
Old Nate
Not Really Old

Registration date : 2014-08-27

PostSubject: Re: Who has tried Dunhill Dark Flake and Ye old Signe?   Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:29 pm

I'm hoping I get one of the DDF for Christmas. Promised the wife I wouldn't buy any tobacco before the holidays... maybe she'll break her vow and buy me a few tins.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

PostSubject: Re: Who has tried Dunhill Dark Flake and Ye old Signe?   Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:22 pm

Old Nate wrote:
I'm hoping I get one of the DDF for Christmas. Promised the wife I wouldn't buy any tobacco before the holidays... maybe  she'll break her vow and buy me a few tins.

Well, we may need to remedy that!

Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Who has tried Dunhill Dark Flake and Ye old Signe?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next