HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

GL Pease Blends

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
AdamCordray

Registration date : 2016-08-08

PostSubject: GL Pease Blends   Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:14 pm

Yet another "what's your favorite blend" topic... but specifically I wondered if anyone has favorite GL Pease blends? Does anyone out there feel that his blends are over-rated? In an effort to make a question like this somewhat fair, maybe pick a favorite for each category 1) English or Balkan style, 2) Virginia based or VaPer, and 3) Miscellaneous (ie. something that doesn't necessarily fit the other categories, or you can include another English/balkan, a Va or VaPer blend).

My experience with Pease blends is kind of limited, having tried Haddo's Delight, Barbary Coast, and Six Pence. I have enjoyed the blends that I've tried so far. I'm looking over reviews on tobaccoreviews.com, as I always do, and have been trying to collect some "must try blends", along with some "must cellar" blends. It takes me some time to work through a tin though, so I am hesitant to have open tins of 20+ tobaccos at one time.

Thanks for anyone's input!

Adam
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tarheel7734

Registration date : 2014-10-16

PostSubject: Re: GL Pease Blends   Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:20 pm

I really enjoy Quiet Nights and Chelsea Morning. I really need to stock up on them while I still can.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: GL Pease Blends   Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:27 pm

I love Chelsea Morning, Sextant and Montgomery. I find Montgomery is not very known; but it's one of the most balanced and delicious blends I have smoked.
Back to top Go down
Carlos
Admin

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: GL Pease Blends   Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:37 pm

Renaissance. But Maltese Falcon and Chelsea Morning are right up there. The more I think about it, the harder it gets to be sure. Maybe Sextant. No, no, Navigator. Or Sextant.

"Never turn your back on a Breen".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: GL Pease Blends   Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:36 pm

For me it's Haddo's first and foremost (but has to be aged a good few years first), second Cairo (aged again), Cumberland (like this fresh), Telegraph Hill, and I forget the rest.

And this thread may be of use in deciding whet to stock up on in the face of the FDA deeming regs-

http://brothersofbriar.forumotion.com/t34180-gl-pease-tobaccos-affected-by-the-fda-regs

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: GL Pease Blends   Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:57 pm

Hmmm...

Full English - Odyssey
Medium English - Samarra
Oriental - Meridian, Ashbury
Virginia - Union Square
Vaper - Telegraph Hill
American - Triple Play
Anomaly Blends - Haddo's, Fillmore

I am also really digging Regent's Flake, very dry and spicy. Makes for a good winter night smoke.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lonecoyote

Registration date : 2016-10-15

PostSubject: Re: GL Pease Blends   Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:29 pm

I have a few GLP's I really enjoy: Sextent, Sixpence, Cumberland, JackKnife Plug and Telegraph Hill. I totally agree that Haddo's Delight needs a few years of aging. I recently opened a fairly fresh tin and was not so delighted. But I do find some of GLP blends to be a bit goopy and over topped at times. Then I do air dry in a tobacco tray accordingly.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: GL Pease Blends   Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:02 am

Hm...........

Well, I did get a sample of Montgomery from Old Nate that was dated 2012, and I do enjoy it. All the other Pease stuff was really 'fresh', and I just couldn't get into them. Had I deeper pockets, I might invest in some variations and wait a few years to see if they ring any bells for me. Alas, with the new regulations, I fear that time will not come.

But hey, tastes are relative, and mine are pretty limited. I don't know enough about blending to be able to see the futures of many of the offerings out there. So my suggestion is the Monty. Good stuff!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fight'n Hampsters

Registration date : 2011-07-28

PostSubject: Re: GL Pease Blends   Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:33 pm

Different smokers seem to have different blenders that they like more than others. For me it is Pease. 2 out of the bowls I smoke are his blends.

My faves

Union Square
Cumberland
Embarcadero
Haddo
Key Largo
Montgomery

Lombard is a good blend that is light on Lat.

I'm not a lat guy but I do enjoy Maltese Falcon when I get that itch.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
idbowman

Registration date : 2011-12-19

PostSubject: Re: GL Pease Blends   Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:26 pm

Telegraph Hill is number one with a bullet. I can't say enough about the stuff - my favorite GLP, very probably my favorite blend regardless of brand, and as close as I can get to a "desert island tobacco."

Truthfully, I like pretty much every GLP I've ever had...but if I were to put together a short list of my favorites, they would be:

Telegraph Hill
Haddo's
Embarcadero
Fillmore
Blackpoint
Montgomery

Back to top Go down
View user profile
SpeedyPete

Registration date : 2011-01-28

PostSubject: Re: GL Pease Blends   Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:03 pm

Cumberland for me and that's the only Pease I like.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SkagitSmoke

Registration date : 2012-11-20

PostSubject: Re: GL Pease Blends   Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:10 pm

I second idbowman. Telegraph Hill is fabulous! Others I really enjoy are Sixpence, Quiet Nights and Blackpoint. Blackpoint is sublime after 3 years of aging.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AdamCordray

Registration date : 2016-08-08

PostSubject: Re: GL Pease Blends   Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:44 pm

I really appreciate everyone's feedback, certainly gives me some direction as I prepare to purchase a few more tins.

Adam
Back to top Go down
View user profile
idbowman

PostSubject: Re: GL Pease Blends   Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:44 pm

SkagitSmoke wrote:
Others I really enjoy...and Blackpoint. Blackpoint is sublime after 3 years of aging.

Yes! Blackpoint never gets enough buzz as I think it should - I'm glad to see you mention it. To me, it does all of things that Nightcap does, but better.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Old Nate
Not Really Old

Registration date : 2014-08-27

PostSubject: Re: GL Pease Blends   Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:23 pm

I'll throw in my two cents.
Full English: Quiet nights is excellent. It's one of those English ones that gives me everything I'm looking for in a tobacco smoky, sweet, Rich, and tangy... I just can't say enough about it.

VaPer: I love Telegraph Hill as well and if I'm looking for something a little deeper I go to Fillmore. Aged it is sweet, spicy, and decadent.

Medium English: There are so many but I'll add Maltese Falcon! It's deep but also very nuanced and something I can smoke all day!

GLP blends are excellent and I would also suggest whatever you get buy at least two tins so you can age one. Good stuff!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
leacha

Registration date : 2014-01-08

PostSubject: Re: GL Pease Blends   Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:14 am

Back to top Go down
View user profile
idbowman

PostSubject: Re: GL Pease Blends   Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:47 pm

Old Nate wrote:

VaPer: I love Telegraph Hill as well and if I'm looking for something a little deeper I go to Fillmore. Aged it is sweet, spicy, and decadent.

Perfectly said.

As to full English, I'm not sure I think of Quiet Nights as all that full...lots of VA sweetness behind the smoky stuff. Unless I'm thinking of a different blend (which is entirely possible)! It's been a while since I really smoked super-heavy Latakia blends, but my brother (a latakia-phile) tells me that Charing Cross is very good and falls into the "lat bomb" category.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lonecoyote

PostSubject: Re: GL Pease Blends   Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:02 pm

Charing Cross is a traditional Balkan style blend With Cyprian Latakia and different Virginia's. It's a wonderful blend with at least 3 years of aging. I personally find sometimes when you age blends that are heavy Latakia blends, the Latakia can lose some flavors. Charing Cross has great quality Latakia but I would not consider it a Lat bomb. It's OUTSTANDING and a must try cheers cheers

PS
I would not consider Quiet Night's a full English blend myself. But it's good for sure.
What I would consider in the Lat bomb blends: C&D Star of the East Flake is a pretty strong latakia bomb and Pirate Kake.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Old Nate
Not Really Old

Registration date : 2014-08-27

PostSubject: Re: GL Pease Blends   Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:19 pm

Hmm, I agree, Quiet Nights is def not a lat bomb but I do believe it is full flavored. And it's funny, I would say Star of the East has just as many nuances as Quiet Nights and def not a lay powerhouse... all taste buds are different and I think that's what makes all this fun.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lonecoyote

PostSubject: Re: GL Pease Blends   Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:32 pm

Old ( young ) Nate
Your so correct, everyone's taste buds are different and subjective to many different tobacco blends.
Nate....you need to try both of these fabulous blends:
H&H WhiteKnight & BlackHouse. Only $9.99 at Smokingpipes. Oh, you will be ordering more lol! lol!

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lonecoyote

PostSubject: Re: GL Pease Blends   Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:50 pm

idbowman, have your brother try, if he did not already:
Mac Baren HH Latakia Flake. Well rubbed out and let rest in a tray for about 30 minutes before stuffing your pipe.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: GL Pease Blends   Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:08 pm

Odyssey is somewhat of what I would categorize as a Lat-bomb. However, like all of Greg's blends it develops so many intricate flavors down the bowl that it ultimately ends up being way more than just that. Keeping it lit can be a chore and even he recommends tamping lightly.

Pirate Kake. Now that's a "Lat-Bomb."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
wake_n_flake

Registration date : 2017-01-03

PostSubject: Re: GL Pease Blends   Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:16 am

I haven't had them all (yet) but my favorite GLP blend is Charing Cross. I love the Latakia, and it is quite prominent, but it's got a heavy balance of really nice orientals, as well. It is the quintessential Balkan for me. I think it's what other Balkans aspire to be.

I like CC so much that I restrict myself to only smoking it like 2-4 times a month in my rotation. That way, I miss it a little bit and forget how good it is. Then I can really sit and rediscover it. Very complex and contemplative smoke for me. I like it in a savinelli 316ks, with a wider bowl.

Some other GLP's I truly love:

Odyssey - unreal if you love even more Latakia. I smoke it slow and take a few breaks...it develops.

Quiet Nights - also very complex, changes a lot through the bowl, and is the most "fine wine" -like tobacco blend I can think of. (And not just because it has a wine-like Virginia note for me).

Lagonda - also a full English, borderline lat-bomb, but balanced out with sweeter Virginias.

GLP for me is special stuff. I know I can always look forward to hunting down one of his blends, since there are so many good ones. However, several really
good GLP blends are facing the chopping block, so I might have to get hasty and stock up on a few.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
idbowman

PostSubject: Re: GL Pease Blends   Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:06 pm

wake_n_flake wrote:

GLP for me is special stuff.  I know I can always look forward to hunting down one of his blends, since there are so many good ones.  However, several really
good GLP blends are facing the chopping block, so I might have to get hasty and stock up on a few.

I'm similar...sort of. I do have a quite a bit of GLP on hand, but I still like to space them out just so that they're that much more enjoyable. I don't spread out from bowl-to-bowl though. If I open a tin, it goes into the rotation and I smoke it regularly until it's empty - but then I purposely torture myself and wait a while before cracking another tin open.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
wake_n_flake

Registration date : 2017-01-03

PostSubject: Re: GL Pease Blends   Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:14 pm

Anyone ever try the long-discontinued Mephisto? Holy cow that was a weird one. A heavy Syrian lat bomb English with a rum topping. Yeah.

I still have flashbacks about the taste of that one and it was probably 17 years ago that I had a tin.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

GL Pease Blends
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next