HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

A simple Chimney Cob Pipe. Save your cob next time....

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Lonecoyote

Registration date : 2016-10-15

PostSubject: A simple Chimney Cob Pipe. Save your cob next time....   Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:00 pm

My own custom Cob Pipe. The shank is made from an oak branch and the bottom of the chamber I cut an oak wood disc so no burn thru at the bottom of the cob. ALL oven dried and dyed black. I finished off the shank with a piece of black plastic I had from an old cob pipe. It's a chimney cob, 2" tall. This is a non-filter pipe.
Next time you eat corn on the cob think twice before discarding what could be the best part of the corn.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
swhipple

Registration date : 2013-05-02

PostSubject: Re: A simple Chimney Cob Pipe. Save your cob next time....   Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:02 pm

Nicely done. Did you seriously eat the corn off the cob and then transform it into a pipe? If so, I'm beyond impressed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
arkansaspiper

Registration date : 2016-01-22

PostSubject: Re: A simple Chimney Cob Pipe. Save your cob next time....   Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:56 am

Ya if u did I'm gunna try it
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Eric Furgeson

Registration date : 2016-04-21

PostSubject: Re: A simple Chimney Cob Pipe. Save your cob next time....   Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:17 am

arkansaspiper wrote:
Ya if u did I'm gunna try it
Yea what he said!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lonecoyote

PostSubject: Re: A simple Chimney Cob Pipe. Save your cob next time....   Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:58 am

swhipple wrote:
Nicely done. Did you seriously eat the corn off the cob and then transform it into a pipe? If so, I'm beyond impressed.

That's exactly what I did and thank you. After eating all the kernels I let the cob dry naturally for 5 days before cutting the center piece with a coping saw. Then dried it twice in the oven. First time at 300 degrees for 20 minutes and the second time 350 degrees for 25 minutes. I let the piece of cob cool down completely between drying in the oven. Once cooled I checked for any cracks, this piece turned out fine. I only use the center core of the cob. Did a light hand sanding to expose the hard core portion before shaping on my 2" belt sander. When I was satisfied with the shape, clamped it up in one of my Irwins and drilled out the chamber with a flat paddle drill bit. Drill the hole for the shank, press the piece of oak disc I made for the bottom of the chamber and the chamber portion is complete. The oak branch I used for the shank I shaped on my lathe by hand only using strips of sandpaper, than drilled the draft hole. Two stage epoxy was used to hold the shank and chamber together, will never come apart, holds better then wood glue in my opinion. Black leather dye was used for the finish. Much easier to make than the briar pipes I've made!!  Smoked it yesterday for the first time and breaking it in slowly. I'm very satisfied with the way it smoked. Once you build up a bit of carbon on the inside of the chamber your good to go! The trick with breaking in any cob pipe is not to overheat the chamber for at least the first half dozen smokes. This way the chamber walls hold up for quite a long time.
Really appreciate all of your comments, thanks much.
Have a HAPPY & HEALTHY HOLIDAY SEASON rendeer santa rendeer santa

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Thistleoak

Registration date : 2012-08-14

PostSubject: Re: A simple Chimney Cob Pipe. Save your cob next time....   Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:54 pm

Thats super cool!  Does the dye have any effect on smoking experience
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lonecoyote

PostSubject: Re: A simple Chimney Cob Pipe. Save your cob next time....   Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:32 pm

Thistleoak wrote:

There is less chance of bad taste or even odors when using leather dye properly over stain. Many well known pipe makers use the dye method when you see black on a pipe. Had absolutely no odor once dried, unlike some stains that are not natural. I've smoked the pipe twice and I must say it was a satisfying experience. Only smelled the tobacco burning, no foul odors what so ever. Black dye is also used when contrast staining a pipe from some makers.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Last edited by Lonecoyote on Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Thistleoak

Registration date : 2012-08-14

PostSubject: Re: A simple Chimney Cob Pipe. Save your cob next time....   Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:37 pm

Lonecoyote wrote:
Thistleoak wrote:

There is less chance of bad taste or even odors when using leather dye properly over stain. Many well known pipe makers use the dye method when you see black on a pipe. Had absolutely no odor once dried, unlike some stains that are not natural. I've smoked the pipe twice and I must say it was a satisfying experience. Only smelled the tobacco burning, no foul odors what so ever.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
Cool!  Learn something new everyday
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ontariopiper

Registration date : 2015-03-10

PostSubject: Re: A simple Chimney Cob Pipe. Save your cob next time....   Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:04 pm

Very nice! I don;t see corn on the cob very often, nbut I think I'll be squirreling away the cobs after the next round!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.dadspipes.com

A simple Chimney Cob Pipe. Save your cob next time....
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1