HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Dunhill Tobaccos Doomed

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: Dunhill Tobaccos Doomed   Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:13 pm

Looks like BAT, the owner of the trademark, is pulling off the legendary brand off the market. These are sad news for us.
This is a copy/paste of the message left by Leonard Wortzel, manager at STG Lane, on another forum (Pipes Magazine):

"Hi All:
As you may have seen in a separate thread, BAT (owner of the Dunhill brand), has announced that it has decided to 'cease trading' with Dunhill pipe tobacco and cigars.
STG Lane is the importer for the pipe tobacco here in the U.S.
Here is what we know: BAT plans to cease trading Dunhill Pipe Tobacco in the U.S. in the next 12 - 18 months. The decision was the result of an internal BAT business review.
That is ALL we know right now. At the point of this writing, anything else you may read or hear regarding the precise business reasons behind the decision, exact timing, etc., should be considered pure speculation.
As we learn more about the fate of this beloved brand, we will of course keep you informed."
Back to top Go down
Fight'n Hampsters

Registration date : 2011-07-28

PostSubject: Re: Dunhill Tobaccos Doomed   Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:30 pm

Lord Guyrox wrote:
Looks like BAT, the owner of the trademark, is pulling off the legendary brand off the market. These are sad news for us.
This is a copy/paste of the message left by Leonard Wortzel, manager at STG Lane, on another forum (Pipes Magazine):

"Hi All:
As you may have seen in a separate thread, BAT (owner of the Dunhill brand), has announced that it has decided to 'cease trading' with Dunhill pipe tobacco and cigars.
STG Lane is the importer for the pipe tobacco here in the U.S.
Here is what we know: BAT plans to cease trading Dunhill Pipe Tobacco in the U.S. in the next 12 - 18 months. The decision was the result of an internal BAT business review.
That is ALL we know right now. At the point of this writing, anything else you may read or hear regarding the precise business reasons behind the decision, exact timing, etc., should be considered pure speculation.
As we learn more about the fate of this beloved brand, we will of course keep you informed."

Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stick

Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Dunhill Tobaccos Doomed   Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:09 pm

Crikey. Let's hope someone else picks up the baton.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Dunhill Tobaccos Doomed   Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:09 pm

Again!? Damn.....

-Yak
Back to top Go down
View user profile
idbowman

Registration date : 2011-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Dunhill Tobaccos Doomed   Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:19 pm

Stick wrote:
Crikey.  Let's hope someone else picks up the baton.

Even in this uncertain environment, I'd be shocked if someone doesn't step in and scoop it up.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lonecoyote

Registration date : 2016-10-15

PostSubject: Re: Dunhill Tobaccos Doomed   Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:00 pm

I hate to say this, but I saw this coming. What tobacco manufacturer wants to deal with the FDA costs and regulations??? My honest opinion, I believe many/most tobacco manufacturers will no longer sell to the U.S. market by March of 2018. That's basically why I've been suggesting stock up your cellar now on a monthly basis, whatever you can afford. 

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Dunhill Tobaccos Doomed   Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:57 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile
ftrplt

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Dunhill Tobaccos Doomed   Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:19 am

Well isn't that special!!!! Glad I have beaucoup tins (many Murray and earlier!!) agin' in the stash. At my age (70), I wouldn't be buying anymore anyway. Damn sad to see these business decisions though. I truly think the FDA may just be a little more "friendly" over the next four years!! cheers FTRPLT
Back to top Go down
View user profile
idbowman

Registration date : 2011-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Dunhill Tobaccos Doomed   Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:58 am

ftrplt wrote:
I truly think the FDA may just be a little more "friendly" over the next four years!! cheers FTRPLT

Yep. Regardless of how anyone feels about the current political landscape, and purely within the limits of the tobacco industry/hobby, if we were going to get any relief from the current trend, this administration and congress is about the best hope we're going to get (even then, though, the best case scenario is that it buys us some time).
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Dunhill Tobaccos Doomed   Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:15 pm

Well, there's the FDA in the US, and there's the EU legislation that also has an impact.
Leonard is talking from the US's market perspective. The reality remains that Dunhill will cease its pipe tobacco and cigar manufacturing activities altogether, everywhere. It has to do with the TPD2 legislation in the EU, specifically the warning labels. BAT decided to ditch it due to cost deemed too detrimental to the profits, I guess.
Maybe someone else will acquire the rights? But then again, if the costs are deemed detrimental by BAT...
Back to top Go down
joshoowah

Registration date : 2011-09-24

PostSubject: Re: Dunhill Tobaccos Doomed   Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:10 pm

It's a shame, truly, but I dislike every Dunhill blend. No skin off my back; however, I wouldn't want to see any big pipe tobacco brand to go under like this.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
daveinlax

Registration date : 2007-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Dunhill Tobaccos Doomed   Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:30 pm

Lord Guyrox wrote:
Well, there's the FDA in the US, and there's the EU legislation that also has an impact.
Leonard is talking from the US's market perspective. The reality remains that Dunhill will cease its pipe tobacco and cigar manufacturing activities altogether, everywhere. It has to do with the TPD2 legislation in the EU, specifically the warning labels. BAT decided to ditch it due to cost deemed too detrimental to the profits, I guess.
Maybe someone else will acquire the rights? But then again, if the costs are deemed detrimental by BAT...
I agree that this probably has more to do with EU regs. IMO The Dunhill mixtures would be free and clear with the new FDA regs.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Dunhill Tobaccos Doomed   Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:33 pm

How long before they take "Dunhill" off "White Spot" pipes? I detect a theme.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lonecoyote

Registration date : 2016-10-15

PostSubject: Re: Dunhill Tobaccos Doomed   Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:12 pm

The only Dunhill tobacco I've ever smoked an enjoyed in the past 48 years is Nightcap tin version only. But it's a darn shame when you see a big tobacco company announce that their tobacco's will no longer be made.  This does have much to do with the EU & US markets combined. For a while now England has not been permitted to export tobacco to the USA. That's the main reason  Glynn closed GQ down. 

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

PostSubject: Re: Dunhill Tobaccos Doomed   Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:11 pm

I do enjoy the new Dark Flake of theirs, seems a shame to have it go the way of the Dino so soon... Probably should have grabbed more than the one tin..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Dunhill Tobaccos Doomed   Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:01 pm

I will miss Dunhill Flake but that's about it, I can't think of another straight Virginia Flake quite like it. Although IRC VA Flake comes pretty damn close, especially with age. London Mixture is a fine blend but it's gotten lost in the shuffle of my rotation over the years. 965, Standard Mixture & EMP - Meh. Nightcap - Good flavor, too strong.

Anyway, what I find most disconcerting is that a big conglomerate like British American Tobacco would bail out on a big name label like Dunhill. In the world of pipe smoking, it's probably the biggest product name you will ever come across. For sales, an ace in the hole. For BAT to give Dunhill up is surely a sign of the market deterioration to come. Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
SpeedyPete

Registration date : 2011-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Dunhill Tobaccos Doomed   Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:40 am

The Dunhill name was established via clever advertising by Albert Dunhill.

The believe was vested that Dunhill pipes are the best pipes available. People bought the pipes to be "in fashion". Over the years Dunhill became the norm against which other pipes were tested.

Now, we all know that Dunhill pipes are just ordinary pipes. Nothing special at all. I've got cheap, real cheap pipes which are excellent smokers and much better than my 2 Dunhills. I've got 1945 and 1980 "models" which I don't smoke because even my cheap Sav Pisa is a way better pipe than said Dunhills.

It had to follow that Dunhill tobacco was also rated much higher than it deserved. They do make some nice tobacco. I prefer excellent tobacco. This I can buy all over and at a much lower price. And I'm pretty sure lots of smokers came to the same conclusion. If Dunhill sales were good the name would not have been dropped. Nobody kills the goose who lays the golden eggs.

And yes, I see the day coming when even the White Spot won't be so white anymore. Our local B&M offered quite a lot of Dunhills at a 25% discount last year. Nobody took advantage of this generous offer!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fight'n Hampsters

PostSubject: Re: Dunhill Tobaccos Doomed   Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:39 am

SpeedyPete wrote:
The Dunhill name was established via clever advertising by Albert Dunhill.

The believe was vested that Dunhill pipes are the best pipes available. People bought the pipes to be "in fashion".  Over the years Dunhill became the norm against which other pipes were tested.

Now, we all know that Dunhill pipes are just ordinary pipes. Nothing special at all.  I've got cheap, real cheap pipes which are excellent smokers and much better than my 2 Dunhills. I've got  1945 and 1980 "models" which I don't smoke because even my cheap Sav Pisa is a way better pipe than said Dunhills.

It had to follow that Dunhill tobacco was also rated much higher than it deserved.  They do make some nice tobacco. I prefer excellent tobacco.  This I can buy all over and at a much lower price.  And I'm pretty sure lots of smokers came to the same conclusion.  If Dunhill sales were good the name would not have been dropped.  Nobody kills the goose who lays the golden eggs.

And yes, I see the day coming when even the White Spot won't be so white anymore.  Our local B&M offered quite a lot of Dunhills at a 25% discount last year.  Nobody took advantage of this generous offer!

Everybody has their favorite blends and manufacturers.  All a matter of taste.  I like Dunhill Flake and will always have a place for EMP.
Speaking of different tastes, I for one can not wrap my head around the idea that many of the Lane bulks (1Q etc) are the "best selling in America".  I have tried to like them but can't Very Happy   That said, more power to the guys that have pounds of it cellered and it is their everyday smoke.

I don't like it when any big brands go away.  Variety is good and fear that DrumsandBeer is right that this is a sign of things to come.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fight'n Hampsters

PostSubject: Re: Dunhill Tobaccos Doomed   Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:40 am

DrumsAndBeer wrote:
I will miss Dunhill Flake but that's about it, I can't think of another straight Virginia Flake quite like it. Although IRC VA Flake comes pretty damn close, especially with age.  London Mixture is a fine blend but it's gotten lost in the shuffle of my rotation over the years. 965, Standard Mixture & EMP - Meh. Nightcap - Good flavor, too strong.

Anyway, what I find most disconcerting is that a big conglomerate like British American Tobacco would bail out on a big name label like Dunhill. In the world of pipe smoking, it's probably the biggest product name you will ever come across. For sales, an ace in the hole. For BAT to give Dunhill up is surely a sign of the market deterioration to come. Crying or Very sad    

Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fsu92john

Registration date : 2014-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Dunhill Tobaccos Doomed   Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:39 pm

DrumsAndBeer wrote:
For BAT to give Dunhill up is surely a sign of the market deterioration to come. Crying or Very sad    

This is my main cause for concern out of this news. I do suppose a large purchase of Royal Yacht may be in order.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
"sam"

Registration date : 2012-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Dunhill Tobaccos Doomed   Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:25 pm

London Mixture and Royal Yacht are two of my favorite blends; while there are blends similar to London Mixture, Royal Yacht is unique.  I really love the Dunhill ribbon-cut in general...so many other brands/blends look fish food in comparison.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Dunhill Tobaccos Doomed   Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:24 pm

I've been fond of Dunhill Flake for some years now, and also appreciate the Navy Rolls. Only recently discovered the delights of Royal Yacht, and frankly was prepared to dislike it based on some reviews. Took a few bowls to acquire the taste, but I did and it stuck.

And recently had the pleasure of the recently released Dark Flake through a very generous brother here. This is good right now but has great ageing potential.

I've been a fan of the Three Year Matured Virginia from the previous blender Murray's, but not had the current iteration. Plus I've smoked EMP and London Mixture when I was into Lat-blends.

So count me in as a fan, and it would be a terrible shame to see these being disco'd to us in the future!

No

Cheers?

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
Ozark Wizard

PostSubject: Re: Dunhill Tobaccos Doomed   Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:17 pm

Oh yah, I forgot The Royal Yacht. I think I had good notes regarding that one. A potent Ginny.

I can already see my next month's TAD.....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Psmith

Registration date : 2013-04-21

PostSubject: Re: Dunhill Tobaccos Doomed   Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:03 pm

Yes....very very sad to think that the Royal Yacht may be dropping anchor for good. And Durbar...no...say it ain't so.

I cant understand this news though....they just brought out a bunch of new blends. I hope its just a rumour.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Dunhill Tobaccos Doomed   Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:52 pm

Psmith wrote:
I cant understand this news though....they just brought out a bunch of new blends.  I hope its just a rumour.

It's not a rumor, mate, coming from the mouth (ok, the fingers) of the boss of the very US distributor.
And, maybe that is exactly why they released all these new tobaccos over the last 6 months, or so.
Back to top Go down

Dunhill Tobaccos Doomed
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: The Tobacco Jar-
Jump to: