HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Signing Up Problems - Potential New Members, READ!

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Carlos
Admin

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Signing Up Problems - Potential New Members, READ!   Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:07 am

We have had a few problems with some new users not being able to sign up for BoB.  I think that it has to do with Forumotion's SPAM filter system.  There is very little information about it.  The problem almost seems to be at random.  If you have a gmail address with a . in the username.  Or perhaps a yahoo domain.  There could be others.

What happens is, you do not get to see the Captcha verification.  You cannot get past that. Let's add to this.  Check and see if you are running a script blocker.  Adblock Plus, Ghostery, Script Blocker, etc. may all block the pop-up Captcha thing.  Disable the blocker for the short time you need and try again.

Try another email address.  We have users with the . in a gmail username.  We have users with Yahoo domains.  Why one fails and the next works is a mystery.  But apparently that does not work for everyone.  

I may also see another way to do so.  But it is going to take a little coordination to do it.  Contact me at my email quarksbar at frontiernet dot net  If we can bounce emails back and forth we can probably get you signed up.  We have tested this and it works.  It's just timing.  I will turn the CAPTCHA verification off when I know we are both in front of the computer.  If I create the account.  You would never be able to change your password.  Same CAPTCHA verification thing again.

Why CAPTCHA?

Quote :
The captcha is a visual or audio challenge to the user to prevent bots and automated scripts from accessing the services protected by it.

It is valuable for:

forums that want to prevent spambots/adbots from signing up

One other thing.  If you email me, make sure my replies do not end up in your spam folder.  You will almost certainly get a reply within a few hours at most.  I gotta sleep.  When I do not hear back from some folks for days, it makes me wonder what happened.  scratch

"Never turn your back on a Breen".

Last edited by Carlos on Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Carlos
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Signing Up Problems - Potential New Members, READ!   Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:44 pm

Roughly three like this in a week's time. Makes me wonder just how many other people fail to get registered and do not see this thread. Or do not know someone to ask, so they can get some help to get signed on.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Carlos
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Signing Up Problems - Potential New Members, READ!   Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:04 pm

Aw heck!

The User Activation routine being off, does not turn off that CAPTCHA thing any longer. And I do not see an option to turn it off anywhere. So I will have to contact the French guys at Forumotion to see what can be done about it.

Later
Carlos

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Carlos
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Signing Up Problems - Potential New Members, READ!   Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:49 pm

This has become a problem for some forums and it is being looked into. At this time there is nothing I can turn on or off to assist.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Carlos
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Signing Up Problems - Potential New Members, READ!   Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:57 pm

So, I really do look at the Admin Panel from time to time. Today I was surprised to see 10 new users who tried to sign up but did not confirm via their email apparently. Goes all the way back to September. I am positive that I look at that more often than that. So I do not know where, or when these appeared. My email is listed in several places, so anyone that was having trouble could at least let me know they were trying. But I have not gotten any emails. All I can do is scratch my head and wonder WTF!

Sometimes I can assist. I can try to activate an account, if it is within a short time. I can see if something is wrong. (Santa Bob, try again. I suspect you entered your email incorrectly.)

I have tried emailing some folks like this in the past, and never gotten an answer. It may be something the Forumotion people are working on and these new members got trapped somehow. But if there is a problem, email me. It's in this thread, or one of these help threads. I will see if there is anything I can do.

Eventually, if nothing happens with those failed accounts, they will get deleted.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Carlos
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Signing Up Problems - Potential New Members, READ!   Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:34 am

The system seems to have suffered a change. It used to not allow Admin's to activate accounts past a certain time. But it looks like I was able to correct an email, and activate the accounts of all those users apparently stuck in the queue. They used to have to be deleted and try again.

You never know what those guys at Forumotion are going to do next. Hopefully this is a good thing.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Carlos
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Signing Up Problems - Potential New Members, READ!   Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:01 pm

The latest twist in new members trying to become new members.

Back to an Admin getting an email notification. Which requires an Admin to ok the potential new member. Which we have to do. With really no information to go on.

But if it gets around the problems we were having, then ok. Just give me a little time to see the email and get it done. DON'T PANIC! sunny

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Carlos
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Signing Up Problems - Potential New Members, READ!   Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:13 am

Changed again. (Not by us.)

Some folks signing up as new members can do so. Others require an Admin to check a box and click ok. It makes no sense. Just be patient. sunny

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Carlos
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Signing Up Problems - Potential New Members, READ!   Tue May 22, 2018 8:26 am

Two more new members stuck in the system for about a week. Sorry, been busy. Activated and emails sent.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Carlos
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Signing Up Problems - Potential New Members, READ!   Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:50 am

Got busy for a few days and for weeks we had no one stuck trying to sign up. Suddenly there are three new users stuck in the system. Guess those guys in France broke the sign up process again.

If you try to sign up on the forum. And it does not work. Email me and I will try to do something about it.

Carlos

quarksbar at frontiernet dot net

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Carlos
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Signing Up Problems - Potential New Members, READ!   Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:34 am

Another potential new member seemingly stuck in the system. I activated his account manually. Hopefully he did not get too frustrated with trying and comes back.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Carlos
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Signing Up Problems - Potential New Members, READ!   Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:08 pm

And another manual activation. I hope those guys can actually log in. I have no clue what the Forumotion guys are doing that is making it difficult.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Carlos
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Signing Up Problems - Potential New Members, READ!   Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:30 pm

Once or twice a week I am manually activating a new user. I do not know if they are able to get logged in. I do not know if there was a error in their email address, or if they just lost interest. If you cannot get registered and able to log in. Email me. My email is in this thread. I'll see what I can do. But I almost never hear from some of these folks. There was a pipetrucker or similar the other day. Today there is bonsai79. Hopefully these guys will be able to post.

I think maybe the spam filtering system is still preventing some of these new users from logging in. But I do not know that and cannot control that part of the system.

Back to top Go down
View user profile

Signing Up Problems - Potential New Members, READ!
Page 1 of 1