HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

False Spring

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Blackhorse

Registration date : 2010-10-23

PostSubject: False Spring   Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:59 am

Don't know if it's a local, regional or really broad phenomenon...but at some point soon there will very likely be a False Spring here in the Pacific Northwest USA. Do they have this where you live?  We'll get a week to ten days of warm sunny weather with temps in the 60's leading to gasps of Winter relief and high hopes for a smooth slide into a gentle Summer. NOT! What really happens is old man Winter slams back in for a nasty protracted raw wet grind and our real dependable run of nice balmy weather doesn't finally show up til some time after July 5th. Grit yer teeth! Man up! Tough it out! What else ya gonna do?  Mad

View user profile
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: False Spring   Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:14 pm

Well, you could move to Arizona and fight scorpions in your bedclothes. They call this hiatus the January Thaw around this neighborhood. I think it's already happened, and from now until well into March or even April one heeds the temperature and conditions when, say, crossing a bridge at speed. I don't mind flying sideways, but other people tend to get in my way. And I can almost hear the road salt eating away at the metal of the car. True, it's a cheap car and only cost $30,000 or so, but replacing it every few years does eat into the tobacco budget. Other than that, winter is great. Wear a hat or something and quit whining.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fight'n Hampsters

Registration date : 2011-07-28

PostSubject: Re: False Spring   Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:25 pm

We have that occasionally in Kentucky. I think we had one last year if my memory serves me correctly. It was in the 60's and 70's for about a week or so and some of the dogwoods and flowers even started to bloom. Then, BAM! back down to the 20's with even a little snow. It doesn't last until July though! Usually warmth is here to stay by end of March.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hermit

Registration date : 2008-04-22

PostSubject: Re: False Spring   Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:43 pm

My azaleas are blooming.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: False Spring   Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:32 pm

Burley - No one is whining you old coot. If you whine about the weather in Oregon you go crazy (crazier).

This thing is like starting in November it's winter, winter, winter, winter...February "BOING" (70's and sunny for a long week)...then cold/rainy/sleet/hail til July 5th.

So...

Mad Mad Mad Mad sunny Mad Mad Mad Mad

View user profile
Stick

Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: Re: False Spring   Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:06 pm

Hey, us Brits are masters at whining about the weather. Don't hey me stared.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: False Spring   Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:13 pm

I recall several years ago doing a historical renovation at a place off of NE Going street in February. Exterior mill work on the third floor handrails, boxed posts and 'gingerbread' siding. 70's most every day. Had to paint it in oil based paint, which, even on a good day takes forever to dry. It was a honey of a project for the winter! Otherwise I would find myself on the Deschutes that time of year with fly pole in hand and tight lines, not another soul within miles. A nice mid winter break from living under that big grey box Yahweh would place over the western side of the Cascades for months...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Puff Daddy

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: False Spring   Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:44 pm

We get false spring just about every winter here in the great central valley of California, usually in late february. The sun comes out, fog burns off, temps warm to near 70 or better for up to a couple weeks, the daffodils begin to pop up. The lawnmowers then come out, patio furniture reappears, the smell of a barbecue cooking breaks out somewhere in the neighborhood  and kids put on shorts and tenner shoes. The wife will begin buying annual plants at the nursery and plant them in pots on the patio (despite her knowledge of wht is about to take place). Then, a cold front moves in and kills the new plants, turns freshly mown lawns into muddy messes, and blows patio chairs down the street. Kids stand freezing at the school bus stop in their short pants, half the town goes into a state of depression. It will still be several weeks before spring actually arrives. But, hope springs eternal.

Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: False Spring   Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:02 pm

PD - Yup, that sounds right on target.

View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: False Spring   Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:29 pm

Yup. I copy.

Snort!

What a Face

Cheers,