HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 
 

 Trying to Cultivate My Pallete

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
BriarBeagle

avatar

Age : 45
Location : Laguna Niguel, CA
Registration date : 2016-11-08

PostSubject: Trying to Cultivate My Pallete   Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:16 pm

Hello Bob's,

Took advantage of some of the sales for IPSD with the following selections (none of which I've ever tried):

  • C&D Bow Legged Bear


  • C&D Briar Fox


  • McClleland Tudor Castle


  • MacBaren Old Dark Fired

Any thoughts from the peanut gallery on any of these blends?

Best regards to all.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
idbowman

avatar

Age : 35
Location : Painesville, OH
Registration date : 2011-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Trying to Cultivate My Pallete   Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:20 pm

That's a nice selection. Briar Fox is a really, really nice burley blend. Smoke it cool, and give it a few bowls to wrap your head around it, and it gets pretty amazing. The other three are all very nice smokes, too (I went through a phase where I smoked a ton of the Bow Legged Bear).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BriarBeagle

avatar

Age : 45
Location : Laguna Niguel, CA
Registration date : 2016-11-08

PostSubject: Re: Trying to Cultivate My Pallete   Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:25 pm

Ian,

That's quite a line-up in your cellar. I like how you have everything laid out in spreadsheets-Very well organized.

What was your impression on the Bow-legged Bear as far as strength goes? Will I be walking sideways? Or is it manageable?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

avatar

Age : 53
Location : Mark Twain National Forest, MO
Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Trying to Cultivate My Pallete   Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:03 pm

ODF by Mac Baren is an awesome dark flake. Try it in a small bowl first. Lovely stuff!

Tudor Castle is also very nice. Sweet(ish).

Briar Fox is good too, but better at least a year old.

Never tried Bow Legged Bear.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BriarBeagle

avatar

Age : 45
Location : Laguna Niguel, CA
Registration date : 2016-11-08

PostSubject: Re: Trying to Cultivate My Pallete   Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:36 pm

Ozark Wizard wrote:
ODF by Mac Baren is an awesome dark flake. Try it in a small bowl first. Lovely stuff!

Tudor Castle is also very nice. Sweet(ish).

Briar Fox is good too, but better at least a year old.

Never tried Bow Legged Bear.

Thanks for the response Wiz. I will take your recommendation on the Briar Fox and put it aside to rest for a while. I currently have several open tins that I need to smoke through anyway. At 1 bowl/day, it may be a while. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
idbowman

avatar

Age : 35
Location : Painesville, OH
Registration date : 2011-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Trying to Cultivate My Pallete   Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:02 pm

BriarBeagle wrote:
Ian,

That's quite a line-up in your cellar.  I like how you have everything laid out in spreadsheets-Very well organized.

What was your impression on the Bow-legged Bear as far as strength goes? Will I be walking sideways? Or is it manageable?

I take no credit for that layout - anyone can go to tobaccocellar.com, input what you've got, and the website lays everything out for you. It can be a pain to get started if you've got more than a few tins/jars to log, but once you're up and running it makes tracking your collection simple.


Personally, I thought BLB was on the strong side of manageable. My nic tolerance is pretty high, though, so YMMV. I wouldn't put it on par with Peterson Irish Flake or some of the GH ropes in terms of strength, but it's not "mild" by any stretch.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BriarBeagle

avatar

Age : 45
Location : Laguna Niguel, CA
Registration date : 2016-11-08

PostSubject: Re: Trying to Cultivate My Pallete   Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:22 pm

idbowman wrote:
BriarBeagle wrote:
Ian,

That's quite a line-up in your cellar.  I like how you have everything laid out in spreadsheets-Very well organized.

What was your impression on the Bow-legged Bear as far as strength goes? Will I be walking sideways? Or is it manageable?

I take no credit for that layout - anyone can go to tobaccocellar.com, input what you've got, and the website lays everything out for you.  It can be a pain to get started if you've got more than a few tins/jars to log, but once you're up and running it makes tracking your collection simple.


Personally, I thought BLB was on the strong side of manageable.  My nic tolerance is pretty high, though, so YMMV.  I wouldn't put it on par with Peterson Irish Flake or some of the GH ropes in terms of strength, but it's not "mild" by any stretch.

Thanks for the insight on the Bow-Legged Bear.

I may have to check out the website referral for tobaccocellar.com and take advantage of it. I don't have much tobacco at the moment, so it should be fairly easy to get them entered. I'm still working on beefing up my cellar incrementally, but there is so much baccy to try before I commit to any significant purchases.
Thanks again for your thoughts.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lonecoyote

avatar

Age : 66
Location : State of Confusion
Registration date : 2016-10-15

PostSubject: Re: Trying to Cultivate My Pallete   Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:52 pm

BB
C&D Bow Legged Bear and Briar Fox are outstanding tobacco's with a minimum of 4 years of aging. Where ODF is real good fresh but does get better with age, and I do agree start off with a smaller bowl and see if it grows on you. For some it's a strong smoke. You made all good choices.
If your a Burley lover like myself you need to cellar a few tins of Briar Fox.
If you order from 4Noggins a MUST try and I HIGHLY recommend John Patton's Storm Front if you enjoy Burley blends. This outstanding blend consists of 2 cube cut burleys and cigar leaf. Not strong at all and for me it's a repeat smoke daily. Very creamy finish on the palette. It's available in bulk only at 4Noggins. I have over 12 pounds in my cellar and will be adding more.


KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
idbowman

avatar

Age : 35
Location : Painesville, OH
Registration date : 2011-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Trying to Cultivate My Pallete   Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:06 pm

Lonecoyote wrote:
BB
C&D Bow Legged Bear and Briar Fox are outstanding tobacco's with a minimum of 4 years of aging. Where ODF is real good fresh but does get better with age, and I do agree start off with a smaller bowl and see if it grows on you. For some it's a strong smoke. You made all good choices.
If your a Burley lover like myself you need to cellar a few tins of Briar Fox.
If you order from 4Noggins a MUST try and I HIGHLY recommend John Patton's Storm Front if you enjoy Burley blends. This outstanding blend consists of 2 cube cut burleys and cigar leaf. Not strong at all and for me it's a repeat smoke daily. Very creamy finish on the palette. It's available in bulk only at 4Noggins. I have over 12 pounds in my cellar and will be adding more.


KEEP ON PUFFING!!!


I 100% agree regarding Storm Front. That's the one blend that I know I need to keep on hand which I've neglected stocking up on.

I don't completely agree regarding Briar Fox. While the Virginia's will certainly improve with age, the blend has always struck me as being so Burley forward that the majority of the leaf in the blend is enjoyable almost immediately. I don't disagree that BF will get better and better the older it is, but I think as little as 6 months cellar time is enough to enjoy most of what the blend offers (granted, if you have the patience to wait 5 years, by all means do - it's just that, IMO, the improvements from 6mo to 5yrs is minimal, compared to something with a lot more VA in the tobacco bill).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BriarBeagle

avatar

Age : 45
Location : Laguna Niguel, CA
Registration date : 2016-11-08

PostSubject: Re: Trying to Cultivate My Pallete   Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:12 pm

Coyote and bowman,

Thanks for the heads up on the storm front. It sounds like there is some consensus among you regarding this one. I'm not sure if I like burley lends to be quite honest. Can't say that I've ever smoked a straight burley. I'm still pretty new to the world of pipes and tobaccos. I only recently started smoking daily, as I am a recovering cigar fanatic.

In general, do Burleys not require significant aging?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lonecoyote

avatar

Age : 66
Location : State of Confusion
Registration date : 2016-10-15

PostSubject: Re: Trying to Cultivate My Pallete   Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:36 pm

BB

IN GENERAL Burley Blends don't require the same length of aging as Virginia blends. Me personally, I have a sensitive tongue and gums, if I smoke a new/fresh Virginia without aging a while I get a severe bite, everyone is different. Still happens after over 48 years smoking a pipe. I've smoked Briar Fox for quite a while and it's good fresh but with a few years it brings out the nutty molasses to a greater degree. Storm Front is in my opinion ready to smoke fresh and does well with between 2 to 4 years of aging, it's NOT your typical Burley blend. John Patton's blends are some of the finest you can buy and one of my favorite top three blenders.


KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

avatar

Age : 64
Location : Near the Emerald city
Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Trying to Cultivate My Pallete   Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:51 pm

BriarBeagle wrote:
Hello Bob's,

Took advantage of some of the sales for IPSD with the following selections (none of which I've ever tried):

  • C&D Bow Legged Bear


  • C&D Briar Fox


  • McClleland Tudor Castle


  • MacBaren Old Dark Fired

Any thoughts from the peanut gallery on any of these blends?

Best regards to all.

Of the above, I've thoroughly enjoyed McC Tudor Castle, and ODF. The others I don't believe I've had the pleasure of yet (not a mooch attempt).

However, I do have to agree on the John Patton Storm Front as being highly recommended. In fact, there's not a John Patton blend I've ever had that I didn't like.


Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
Ozark Wizard

avatar

Age : 53
Location : Mark Twain National Forest, MO
Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Trying to Cultivate My Pallete   Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:59 pm

Like Lone coyote says, burleys don't lend themselves to improvement over time. I can only speak from experience regarding the BF. I got some 'fresh' and it was fine, almost like C&D's Bourbon Blue. But I lost it for a couple of seasons, maybe 8 months, and revisited it. It was sweeter, not so edgy. I got some 'fresh' again and went back to back with them. Half a year's difference made a, well, a good difference. That was a while ago though, a year or so. I'll see if I can find some and give it another go....

I'll almost bet the 'bite' folks get from tobaccos has something to do with oral ph. Certain times, depending on what I've been consuming, can dictate what smokes I find pleasant.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

avatar

Age : 45
Location : Northern, CA
Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Trying to Cultivate My Pallete   Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:50 pm

Brewdude wrote:
Of the above, I've thoroughly enjoyed McC Tudor Castle, and ODF.

Likewise.

ODF and Tudor Castle are fantastic smokes. McClelland makes so many great flakes, all you have to do is try a few and you're bound to run into something excellent.

I thought Briar Fox was solid but not one I would purchase any more of. Overall it was a bit too earthy for me and I found the back half of the bowl to be somewhat bitter to taste. Again, it all comes down to personal preferences.

I had a tin of Bow Legged Bear, but I believe I passed it along to a latakia lover in one of our bombing raids. BB, do report back on your findings, as I do enjoy a good burley based/American style English
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BriarBeagle

avatar

Age : 45
Location : Laguna Niguel, CA
Registration date : 2016-11-08

PostSubject: Re: Trying to Cultivate My Pallete   Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:34 pm

Thanks for the input gentlemen. Looking forward to trying some of these.

Another question about Burley: Some of you had said that Burleys don't improve significantly with age. Is there any jeopardy of a diminished flavor profile if they are allowed to age for a while? Is there such a thing as aging too long?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lonecoyote

avatar

Age : 66
Location : State of Confusion
Registration date : 2016-10-15

PostSubject: Re: Trying to Cultivate My Pallete   Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:06 pm

BB
I personally have some Burley Blends over 35 to 40 years old and still a great enjoyable smoke without the harshness and bite. Picks up a richer cocoa and molasses note. Only pipe tobacco that I don't care to age over 5 years is Latakia, personally I find Lats can lose some of its overall character and flavor. Remember....just MY opinion from years of smoking a pipe. Recently had a bowl of Black Frigate that was aged for just over 15 years, to MY taste....not quite as good as the 3 and 4 year aged tins.



KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

avatar

Age : 64
Location : Near the Emerald city
Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Trying to Cultivate My Pallete   Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:38 pm

Lonecoyote wrote:
BB
I personally have some Burley Blends over 35 to 40 years old and still a great enjoyable smoke without the harshness and bite. Picks up a richer cocoa and molasses note. Only pipe tobacco that I don't care to age over 5 years is Latakia, personally I find Lats can lose some of its overall character and flavor. Remember....just MY opinion from years of smoking a pipe. Recently had a bowl of Black Frigate that was aged for just over 15 years, to MY taste....not quite as good as the 3 and 4 year aged tins.



KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Well put Ted. I've had the rare pleasure to sample some very old Burley blends, and they have held up very well indeed- not that I had them back in the day however. And while have I nothing to compare them to it becomes apparent that they still posses enough character, which tells me much. Nomesane?

And although I'm off Lat blends and have been for a good few years, I agree in principle.


Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
BriarBeagle

avatar

Age : 45
Location : Laguna Niguel, CA
Registration date : 2016-11-08

PostSubject: Re: Trying to Cultivate My Pallete   Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:37 pm

Per the recommendation of some of you fine gentlemen I picked up four ounces of John Patton's Storm front. I'm enjoying my first Bowl as I write this in a golf-ball meerschaum. I'm finding it pleasantly mild and creamy. Only my second experience with Burleys so I'm grateful to have been turned onto this by my fellow BoBs. thanks again guys.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lonecoyote

avatar

Age : 66
Location : State of Confusion
Registration date : 2016-10-15

PostSubject: Re: Trying to Cultivate My Pallete   Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:49 am

BB
Glad you tried Storm Front and enjoyed the creaminess. This is usually a repeat blend I smoke at least twice a day. Next time you place a tobacco order try John Patton's Crossroads. Both do well with aging in jars. I've yet to have a John Patton's blend I did not enjoy and keep in my cellar. One of my top three favorite blender!!



KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
 
Trying to Cultivate My Pallete
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: PAD & TAD-
Jump to: