HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Bought my first tobacco seeds!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
kaitlyn3837

Registration date : 2013-05-14

PostSubject: Bought my first tobacco seeds!   Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:09 am

I just ordered my first tobacco seeds a couple days ago! I am expecting them to arrive any day now. I only ordered some commercial burley to start out. I didn't want to get too far ahead of myself by going crazy with a bunch of different types... yet!

The company I ordered them from had stellar reviews. The customer reviews about this exact seed are great as well.

I'm excited to be expanding my knowledge/skill and I will keep everyone posted on how it goes!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kaitlyn3837

PostSubject: Re: Bought my first tobacco seeds!   Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:10 am

Oh, and some of you (cough OW cough) might be getting PMs soon asking for advice and assistance LOL.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lonecoyote

Registration date : 2016-10-15

PostSubject: Re: Bought my first tobacco seeds!   Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:04 am

Kate, good luck with your first crop. Your own grown for some reason always tastes and smokes better for some reason.....lol. Will you be sun drying your tobacco when ready?

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Bought my first tobacco seeds!   Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:46 am

Cough, cough, wink ,wink, nudge, nudge, say no more!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Bought my first tobacco seeds!   Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:53 pm

Ozark Wizard wrote:
Cough, cough, wink ,wink, nudge, nudge, say no more!

<Code for ask me privately. Shussss......>

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
WarlockBob

Registration date : 2012-09-30

PostSubject: Re: Bought my first tobacco seeds!   Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:20 pm

HA! Woohoo!!

I've got nearly 2,000 seeds, and 6 or 7 varieties, that I'm waiting to plant this year. As soon as I'm confident the weather will stay up and warmer, I'll get them started and planted. I'm in a surprisingly good location for growing some of these beauties, considering I'm in the PNW. We'll have to compare notes once you get yours in the ground!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kaitlyn3837

PostSubject: Re: Bought my first tobacco seeds!   Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:53 pm

Lonecoyote wrote:
Kate, good luck with your first crop. Your own grown for some reason always tastes and smokes better for some reason.....lol. Will you be sun drying your tobacco when ready?

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

I hadn't thought about how I will be drying them. I have only gotten far enough to order the seeds and choose the location I will be planting them with enough space for each. LOL. I figured as I go along, I will continue researching through each phase. Do you personally have a preference on drying?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kaitlyn3837

PostSubject: Re: Bought my first tobacco seeds!   Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:56 pm

WarlockBob wrote:
HA! Woohoo!!

I've got nearly 2,000 seeds, and 6 or 7 varieties, that I'm waiting to plant this year. As soon as I'm confident the weather will stay up and warmer, I'll get them started and planted. I'm in a surprisingly good location for growing some of these beauties, considering I'm in the PNW. We'll have to compare notes once you get yours in the ground!

2,000?!?!?! Good golly! I don't know why you are a computer wiz, you should just be a farmer LMAO!

And I'm totally down for comparing notes. I am in a really good place to grow too. Most of my vegetable/herb seedlings I have already started in a small tray in my garage. When the sprouts are a tiny bit bigger/stronger, I will start setting them out for sun a few hours each day, then transplant them to the ground. I figured I could probably do about the same with the tobacco seeds. The garage keeps them from being susceptible to any late frosts and from wind. Do you do any early planting or prepping?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

PostSubject: Re: Bought my first tobacco seeds!   Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:02 pm

Yes, get your seedlings in small trays with peat moss now. They are pretty tender plants when they are young.

I'll send you some llama poop to add to the soil when they get a bit bigger......
Back to top Go down
View user profile
WarlockBob

PostSubject: Re: Bought my first tobacco seeds!   Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:50 pm

kaitlyn3837 wrote:
WarlockBob wrote:
HA! Woohoo!!

2,000?!?!?! Good golly! I don't know why you are a computer wiz, you should just be a farmer LMAO!

And I'm totally down for comparing notes. I am in a really good place to grow too. Most of my vegetable/herb seedlings I have already started in a small tray in my garage. When the sprouts are a tiny bit bigger/stronger, I will start setting them out for sun a few hours each day, then transplant them to the ground. I figured I could probably do about the same with the tobacco seeds. The garage keeps them from being susceptible to any late frosts and from wind. Do you do any early planting or prepping?

I try to; I have some curious cats to contend with, so I have to be careful about prepping and starting my seedlings inside. Last time I had inside plants, my Siamese ate all of my thyme (can't make this up), and killed a really strong, healthy aloe plant. Sad

My garage will be my best bet, but it's still a bit chilly in there for tobacco sprouts. Once it warms up a bit, they'll definitely start there. Egg cartons and soil!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
WarlockBob

PostSubject: Re: Bought my first tobacco seeds!   Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:50 pm

Ozark Wizard wrote:
Yes, get your seedlings in small trays with peat moss now. They are pretty tender plants when they are young.

I'll send you some llama poop to add to the soil when they get a bit bigger......

That's some good fertilizer right there. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ontariopiper

Registration date : 2015-03-10

PostSubject: Re: Bought my first tobacco seeds!   Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:19 pm

Watching this thread with interest! I'd love to grow a few plants of my own and take the leaves through the entire process. A pipe club friend of mine took in his first harvest last fall. I'm going to have to ask him how he fared over the winter at this Sunday's meeting....

There use to be lots of tobacco cultivated here in SW Ontario. You'd have to look hard to find any in the fields now.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.dadspipes.com
Ozark Wizard

PostSubject: Re: Bought my first tobacco seeds!   Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:52 pm

ontariopiper wrote:
Watching this thread with interest! I'd love to grow a few plants of my own and take the leaves through the entire process. A pipe club friend of mine took in his first harvest last fall. I'm going to have to ask him how he fared over the winter at this Sunday's meeting....

There use to be lots of tobacco cultivated here in SW Ontario. You'd have to look hard to find any in the fields now.

Tobacco's bad,
m'Kay?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Bought my first tobacco seeds!   Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:44 pm

ontariopiper wrote:

Just be glad you're not in Australia Charles. My understanding is that it's highly illegal to grow your own there!

Suspect

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
Ozark Wizard

PostSubject: Re: Bought my first tobacco seeds!   Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:31 pm

Brewdude wrote:
ontariopiper wrote:

Just be glad you're not in Australia Charles. My understanding is that it's highly illegal to grow your own there!

Suspect

Cheers,

RR

????
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Timbo

Registration date : 2015-01-18

PostSubject: Re: Bought my first tobacco seeds!   Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:07 pm

Yep, very naughty to grow it over here without a license. You need secure bonded warehouses to store your harvested tobacco in etc. etc. essentially it's only profitable for the big boys to grow tobacco in Australia.

Not a situation I'm happy about but I seriously doubt it's going to change anytime soon. I did try growing a seedling a mate gave me but the soil here is very sandy so it only got to about four foot high. It then died in the last drought we had when watering gardens was banned due to water restrictions.

Cheers

Tim
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ontariopiper

Registration date : 2015-03-10

PostSubject: Re: Bought my first tobacco seeds!   Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:13 pm

Timbo wrote:
Yep, very naughty to grow it over here without a license. You need secure bonded warehouses to store your harvested tobacco in etc. etc. essentially it's only profitable for the big boys to grow tobacco in Australia.

Not a situation I'm happy about but I seriously doubt it's going to change anytime soon. I did try growing a seedling a mate gave me but the soil here is very sandy so it only got to about four foot high. It then died in the last drought we had when watering gardens was banned due to water restrictions.

Cheers

Tim

Ouch, Tim! Canadian taxes are crazy but at least I'm allowed to grow up to 15kg for personal use. That is, of course, assuming She Who Must Be Obeyed grants royal assent to the project. 😄
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.dadspipes.com
WarlockBob

PostSubject: Re: Bought my first tobacco seeds!   Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:22 pm

Looking like in the next two to three weeks, I'll be putting up some surface pods for these babies to start on. Sprouting time is drawing close!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
arkansaspiper

Registration date : 2016-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Bought my first tobacco seeds!   Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:31 pm

How do you like victory seeds
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

PostSubject: Re: Bought my first tobacco seeds!   Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:26 am

Nice group of seeds there! The CT Broadleaf will love Oregon. Plus, they are manageable at only 4 feet tall...

And yes, this would be a good time to get those babies started. I might wait on the Okra though. They like it hot....

"And so it begins........"cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
WarlockBob

PostSubject: Re: Bought my first tobacco seeds!   Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:28 am

arkansaspiper wrote:
How do you like victory seeds

So far, so good. I enjoy the fact that they sell mainly heirloom seeds. Haven't had any bad batches from them yet on anything I've planted!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
WarlockBob

PostSubject: Re: Bought my first tobacco seeds!   Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:30 am

Ozark Wizard wrote:
Nice group of seeds there! The CT Broadleaf will love Oregon. Plus, they are manageable at only 4 feet tall...

And yes, this would be a good time to get those babies started. I might wait on the Okra though. They like it hot....

"And so it begins........"cheers  

I'm definitely looking forward to the Broadleaf, though I'm interested in how my Samsun turns out...

You're definitely right about the Okra. They loved my balcony in Amarillo, that's for sure!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lonecoyote

Registration date : 2016-10-15

PostSubject: Re: Bought my first tobacco seeds!   Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:19 am

WarlockBob
Excellent choice in tobacco seeds, some of my favorites. My opinion, Victory seeds are top notch with excellent customer service. Germination will start from 16 to 20 days and you have allot of seeds in which the majority will sprout. How many square feet are you working with per-tobacco?
Good Luck with your crop!!

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
WarlockBob

PostSubject: Re: Bought my first tobacco seeds!   Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:36 am

Lonecoyote wrote:
WarlockBob
Excellent choice in tobacco seeds, some of my favorites. My opinion, Victory seeds are top notch with excellent customer service. Germination will start from 16 to 20 days and you have allot of seeds in which the majority will sprout. How many square feet are you working with per-tobacco?
Good Luck with your crop!!

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Thanks! My back patio limits me greatly here, but I'm going to try and dedicate at least 2 square foot to each plant. I've got more than a few 2 gallon planters, and a ton of good soil. As long as I keep on top of them and make sure they get plenty of nutrients (shouldn't be much of a problem up here in the PNW), I think they'll be alright. And keeping a plant per planter means I can move them around as needed without issue!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
WarlockBob

PostSubject: Re: Bought my first tobacco seeds!   Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:46 pm

Got my little pots ready to go, and my seeds are germinating!

I used cut up egg carton (the ones that break down) as my seed holder, with a little bit of soil and water; I put them in the small planters so I'd have a stable, leak-proof base for my plants to start germinating in. They're in a well-lit area in the house, where the cats won't get to them. Let's see how it goes!
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Bought my first tobacco seeds!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next