HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Question re jarring up Haddo's

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
TheLowlyApprentice

Registration date : 2016-02-14

PostSubject: Question re jarring up Haddo's   Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:49 pm

I'm contemplating the purchase of a one pound tin of Haddo's and was wondering if I should open the tin and jar it up immediately in several pint and half pint jars, or, should I just leave it in the can for later.

It seems that Haddo's really shines with a little age, but at 70, I don't think I'll be around for any long term cellaring, but I would chance a couple of years before indulging.

So the question is should I go ahead and jar it up right away or just wait a couple of years and then open the can.

Any thoughts?

TLA
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Question re jarring up Haddo's   Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:08 pm

Nicely sealed 8 and 16 ounce containers are always a bit of a conundrum because opening them essentially resets the aging process. However, once you get a larger container jarred up you can start enjoying smaller increments of the blend while the rest of the tobacco can age until you're ready to open another. Having a two ounce jar to enjoy now and 7 to set aside is a luxury, plus the cost savings. Given the fact that most C&D blends are freshly tinned, opening it wouldn't be that big of a deal. Also popping it now gives you the luxury of inspecting the tobacco for any quality control problems, which C&D has had as of late. My thoughts, anyway...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
idbowman

Registration date : 2011-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Question re jarring up Haddo's   Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:21 pm

Buy the tin and check the date on the bottom...if it's already got some time on it, you might want to consider leaving it alone. If it's relatively fresh (which is more likely than not), then it's no big deal to interrupt the aging - crack it open and move it to jars.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheLowlyApprentice

Registration date : 2016-02-14

PostSubject: Question re jarring up Haddo's   Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:31 pm

I like both ideas.

I'll check for a date and wait to open it if it already 6 months or more of age, and if it does, I'll just leave it in the can.

Otherwise, I'll crack it open and jar it up and maybe try a couple of ounces of it fresh and try to wait at least a couple of years before I try the rest.

Many thanks,

TLA
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Question re jarring up Haddo's   Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:51 pm

DrumsAndBeer wrote:
Nicely sealed 8 and 16 ounce containers are always a bit of a conundrum because opening them essentially resets the aging process. However, once you get a larger container jarred up you can start enjoying smaller increments of the blend while the rest of the tobacco can age until you're ready to open another. Having a two ounce jar to enjoy now and 7 to set aside is a luxury, plus the cost savings. Given the fact that most C&D blends are freshly tinned, opening it wouldn't be that big of a deal. Also popping it now gives you the luxury of inspecting the tobacco for any quality control problems, which C&D has had as of late. My thoughts, anyway...

This...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lonecoyote

Registration date : 2016-10-15

PostSubject: Re: Question re jarring up Haddo's   Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:58 am

Yup, open now and enjoy a few bowls and put the rest in small jars so you can enjoy some in a few years. This blend does MUCH better with some age, at least 2 years. From my personal experience.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Old Nate
Not Really Old

Registration date : 2014-08-27

PostSubject: Re: Question re jarring up Haddo's   Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:34 pm

Did you make a move on this yet? I agree with most of the guys... open it, set aside four or eight 2 oz jars. Then you can feel pretty good about opening one and knowing the others are still nice and sealed collecting that age...
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Question re jarring up Haddo's
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1