HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Thought I would share another knife....

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Lonecoyote

Registration date : 2016-10-15

PostSubject: Thought I would share another knife....   Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:31 am

I made for myself a while back. The blade was made from a 440C steel billet and holds an edge well because of the carbon content. The bolsters were all hand cut from brass, filed and I used 220 grit to give a satin like finish. The handle scales are also hand cut and sanded, they are Wooly Mommoth Tusks thousands of years old. Quite expensive and no room for error, basically that's why I decided to use my hands rather then a belt sander. This is the fixed blade knife I carry when not carrying one of my folders. Been carrying a knife since I was 12 years old....everywhere.

The sheath is a basic one, but take notice of the stones. They are polished African Cats Eye and epoxied in such a way that I can sharpen the knife when needed. Not only looks good ( different )  but functional.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Last edited by Lonecoyote on Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Thought I would share another knife....   Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:26 am

Mammoth tusk? No kidding? How cool is that?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lonecoyote

PostSubject: Re: Thought I would share another knife....   Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:47 pm

Yup, Mammoth tusk scales are available as well as many different animal bones like giraffe, buffalo and more. Most are a bit pricey.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
huffelpuff

Registration date : 2011-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Thought I would share another knife....   Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:19 pm

Now that's a real beauty there. You consider doing scrimshaw work on that big blank canvas? Say a mammoth being hunted. Of coarse I would not suggest you do said scrimshaw straight to the knife but do some practice runs on bone or other antler scraps. You may find a new hobby. I know I get lost in time when I scrimshaw.

Jim
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lonecoyote

PostSubject: Re: Thought I would share another knife....   Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:34 pm

Thanks huffelpuff, that blank canvas was a bit pricey and in hand there are various colors to be seen. However in the past I've done some scrimshaw designs on bone handles. If you held this knife in your hand you would agree, leave it natural.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
arkansaspiper

Registration date : 2016-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Thought I would share another knife....   Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:56 pm

Very nice one of these days I'll have one made by you.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Thought I would share another knife....   Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:01 pm

Nice one, like the handle specially. Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
huffelpuff

Registration date : 2011-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Thought I would share another knife....   Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:30 pm

It's a beautiful piece anyway you slice it. The color changes as it ages are always amazing. I'm sure the picture doesn't do that handle justice. I've always had a soft spot for bone, ivory, or antler handles.

Jim
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stick

Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Thought I would share another knife....   Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:25 pm

Cripes, I heard of some materials being used for knives, but mammoth tusk, now that tops them all. Fair play LC, that's a tidy looking knife.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lonecoyote

PostSubject: Re: Thought I would share another knife....   Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:41 pm

STICK
THANK YOU FOR YOUR COMMENT, it's well appreciated.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Thought I would share another knife....   Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:50 pm

I'm not a knife guy at all, but boy howdy that's a very well executed piece there Ted. Colour me impressed!

cyclops

Cheers,

RR

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com Online
Lonecoyote

PostSubject: Re: Thought I would share another knife....   Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:19 pm

Rande, thanks, means allot from you because your not a knife guy.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Thistleoak

Registration date : 2012-08-14

PostSubject: Re: Thought I would share another knife....   Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:18 am

Very nice
Back to top Go down
View user profile
taharris

Registration date : 2011-11-10

PostSubject: Re: Thought I would share another knife....   Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:20 am

That is a beautiful piece of work.

I'm sure you carry it proudly. I would.

Todd
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.wix.com/taharris/turningsbytodd
cajun

Registration date : 2013-11-19

PostSubject: Beautiful   Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:17 am

That knife is so right , it's a beaut. My son makes a few knifes and made me a damascus plug cutter with Giraffe bone handles, fine knife but pales by yours. I'm a Cajun 74 yrs old and would feel undressed if I go anywhere without my knife.

Last edited by cajun on Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kaitlyn3837

Registration date : 2013-05-14

PostSubject: Re: Thought I would share another knife....   Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:41 am

Nice knife! That is cool about the mammoth tusk sides. When I was working in the knife store we sold some of a local guys custom knives. Barefoot Knives. Anyways, he made a filet knife from a GAU-8 Avenger cannon and the handle was out of mammoth molar fossil. CRAZY! Needless to say, that one costs a pretty penny.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lonecoyote

PostSubject: Re: Thought I would share another knife....   Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:01 pm

thank you Cajun and Kate for your compliments. They're well appreciated.

Cajun
Your son made you a stunning knife. Glad too also hear I'm not the only person that feels naked without carrying a knife. Use yours in good health. Perfect blade for Plug cutting and much more!! Damascus steel uses usually 1095/15n20 metals, which can really hold a razor sharp edge. Really like your knife!!

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
arkansaspiper

Registration date : 2016-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Thought I would share another knife....   Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:15 pm

I like them both great craftsmanship.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Thought I would share another knife....
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1