HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 
 

 Trying out some 15 year old Pease Caravan

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Ozark Wizard

avatar

Age : 53
Location : Mark Twain National Forest, MO
Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Trying out some 15 year old Pease Caravan   Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:53 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

avatar

Age : 65
Location : Near the Emerald city
Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Trying out some 15 year old Pease Caravan   Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:12 pm

Looks great, and not dried out. So how was it?

Question


Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
Ozark Wizard

avatar

Age : 53
Location : Mark Twain National Forest, MO
Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Trying out some 15 year old Pease Caravan   Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:56 pm

Well, it is pretty crunchy. I loaded the pipe and blew into the bowl until I got it to spring back when I pressed on it. Lit right up. I will have to retract my voiced impressions of Greg's stuff. Everything I had tried previously was pretty fresh, and not to my tastes. (Other than some 5 year old Montgomery, I think I got from Old Nate, that was pretty impressive too) This stuff is still pretty Lat forward, but has a touch of red wine and cinnamon. Sweet and smoky. Also, I got a pretty good buzz from it. Quite surprised and delighted. The idea of buying a blend and sitting on it for over a decade never crossed my mind, at least not on purpose. Definitely an exercise in patience, but well worth the wait!

Thanks again for opening my horizons BD!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
huffelpuff

avatar

Age : 47
Location : Laramie, WY
Registration date : 2011-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Trying out some 15 year old Pease Caravan   Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:52 pm

Sounds like a great smoke. Enjoy it in rude good health

Jim
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

avatar

Age : 65
Location : Near the Emerald city
Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Trying out some 15 year old Pease Caravan   Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:26 pm

Ozark Wizard wrote:
Well, it is pretty crunchy. I loaded the pipe and blew into the bowl until I got it to spring back when I pressed on it. Lit right up. I will have to retract my voiced impressions of Greg's stuff. Everything I had tried previously was pretty fresh, and not to my tastes. (Other than some 5 year old Montgomery, I think I got from Old Nate, that was pretty impressive too) This stuff is still pretty Lat forward, but has a touch of red wine and cinnamon. Sweet and smoky. Also, I got a pretty good buzz from it. Quite surprised and delighted. The idea of buying a blend and sitting on it for over a decade never crossed my mind, at least not on purpose. Definitely an exercise in patience, but well worth the wait!

Thanks again for opening my horizons BD!

Pleased you could get it to work for you despite the less than favourable condition. I've had a few older GLP tall/skinny tins from that era displaying the same characteristics, yet hoped this one would be in better shape.

And like you, I also employed the retro-breathing through the bowl (or whatever it's generally accepted to be termed) with much success. And again, depending on the age and condition, which is paramount. Luck of the draw.

Frankly I've had some revelations in the GLP direction. And all of which were well aged. Perhaps we're onto something here?

afro



Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
Ozark Wizard

avatar

Age : 53
Location : Mark Twain National Forest, MO
Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Trying out some 15 year old Pease Caravan   Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:02 pm

As the tin was stuffed to the top, I'm guessing that it was originally pretty dry, and that's fine by me. Better that than moldy, for sure!

And now the issue of finding nicely aged GLP stuff, or at least tinned prior to the 'New Formula', OR when purchasing new to open the containers and after examination, jar them up and play the waiting game! Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lonecoyote

avatar

Location : The Seventh Planet From The Sun...Uranus
Registration date : 2016-10-15

PostSubject: Re: Trying out some 15 year old Pease Caravan   Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:47 am

OW
Glad you enjoyed your well aged GLP. That's not one of those " GOOPY " blends and it does hold up well with age. You can always use a piece of ( soaked in distilled water ) natural terracotta stone if your tobacco needs a bit of hydration. Now just store the remaining tobacco in a jar for future enjoyment. I recently opened a GLP Cumberland dated 2006, this blend to was far superior with age. Just like GLP Telegraph Hill which is a Va/Per with no toppings, just its own natural flavor.



KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
femur

avatar

Location : Northeast PA
Registration date : 2012-05-07

PostSubject: Re: Trying out some 15 year old Pease Caravan   Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:10 pm

I recently cracked open a 4 year old tin of Caravan and it was sublime.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AdamCordray

avatar

Age : 31
Location : Northwest Indiana
Registration date : 2016-08-08

PostSubject: Re: Trying out some 15 year old Pease Caravan   Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:53 pm

Recently visited a brick & mortar that had a nice selection of C&D, GLPease and McClellan tins... picked up a tin of Cairo from 2010, a tin of Ashbury from 2011, and two tins of McClelland Samovar from 2012. There's a few other tins on their shelves with 5-7 years of age on them.... Odyssey, Pebblecut, etc, etc but those will have to wait for another day. I happily rotated and faced their stock.... making sure the aged tins were as far back as I could get them! When "another day" comes, I'm hoping those tins will still be there.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

avatar

Age : 53
Location : Mark Twain National Forest, MO
Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Trying out some 15 year old Pease Caravan   Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:57 pm

AdamCordray wrote:
Recently visited a brick & mortar that had a nice selection of C&D, GLPease and McClellan tins... picked up a tin of Cairo from 2010, a tin of Ashbury from 2011, and two tins of McClelland Samovar from 2012.  There's a few other tins on their shelves with 5-7 years of age on them.... Odyssey, Pebblecut, etc, etc but those will have to wait for another day.  I happily rotated and faced their stock.... making sure the aged tins were as far back as I could get them!  When "another day" comes, I'm hoping those tins will still be there.

Insidious....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AdamCordray

avatar

Age : 31
Location : Northwest Indiana
Registration date : 2016-08-08

PostSubject: Re: Trying out some 15 year old Pease Caravan   Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:03 pm

Ozark Wizard wrote:


Insidious....

...I haven't taken French since high school, but I would recognize the Francophone synonym for pulchritudinous any day of the week... Merci beaucoup monsieur.

Really and truly insidious would have been stuffing the coveted tins behind the stacks of C&D Sangria in the old blue and white labeled tins.  That stuff probably hasn't moved in decades.  They still have a flat-pack tin of Red Stag that looked like it had plume developing on the outside of the tin...  or maybe it was dust.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Old Nate
Not Really Old
avatar

Age : 34
Location : Western PA
Registration date : 2014-08-27

PostSubject: Re: Trying out some 15 year old Pease Caravan   Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:18 am

Ozark Wizard wrote:
Well, it is pretty crunchy. I loaded the pipe and blew into the bowl until I got it to spring back when I pressed on it. Lit right up. I will have to retract my voiced impressions of Greg's stuff. Everything I had tried previously was pretty fresh, and not to my tastes. (Other than some 5 year old Montgomery, I think I got from Old Nate, that was pretty impressive too) This stuff is still pretty Lat forward, but has a touch of red wine and cinnamon. Sweet and smoky. Also, I got a pretty good buzz from it. Quite surprised and delighted. The idea of buying a blend and sitting on it for over a decade never crossed my mind, at least not on purpose. Definitely an exercise in patience, but well worth the wait!

Thanks again for opening my horizons BD!

Wiz, just had a bowl of that 5 year old Montgomery last night. It was excellent! I've been smoking through a few other tins that I've opened and putting the GLP on hold, but I finally got back around to it... it is FAR better with the 5 years than fresh! I'm glad you got to try the aged Caravan. At one time I thought anything and everything in the GLP universe just wasn't my cup of tea, but with time and patience, I think they are some of the most rewarding tobaccos available today.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gus

avatar

Age : 46
Location : Balearic Islands
Registration date : 2009-10-17

PostSubject: Re: Trying out some 15 year old Pease Caravan   Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:12 pm

Great tobacco, enjoy it
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

avatar

Age : 53
Location : Mark Twain National Forest, MO
Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Trying out some 15 year old Pease Caravan   Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:54 pm

Gus wrote:
Great tobacco, enjoy it

Gus, I really am enjoying it. Reminds me of camping with my grandfather, those late nights of a confection called 'S'Mores'( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S%27more ) , his pipe burning, and the campfire. It was an inspiration to me. However, I am pretty certain that my grandfather was not smoking any blends from Pease at the time.

Regardless, good stuff. Sometimes I put a piece of dark chocolate in my mouth and then smoke Caravan. Sends me back to a simpler time...............
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AdamCordray

avatar

Age : 31
Location : Northwest Indiana
Registration date : 2016-08-08

PostSubject: Re: Trying out some 15 year old Pease Caravan   Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:00 am

Caravan is not one that I've tried -- I'll keep an eye out for this one in stores, or maybe just pick up a tin next time I order some things. Would be interesting to see how the aged and fresh compare side by side.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ftrplt

avatar

Age : 71
Location : Split between Raleigh, NC and OKC, OK
Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Trying out some 15 year old Pease Caravan   Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:56 pm

Confession time!!! First, I'm truly glad to hear all these comments on how well older GLP blends smoke. Like de Oz Wizard, I never thought I would have 'baccy 10 or more years old!! How some ever, I do...And lots of it!! The GLP's in particular, because (here comes the confession!!), I've never popped a tin of The Dark Lord's makings!! Nope, never had any!! I have such a collection of bulks/jars that my tin "poppings" are few and far between!! I'm 70+, better get to it, huh??!! cheers FTRPLT
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

avatar

Age : 53
Location : Mark Twain National Forest, MO
Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Trying out some 15 year old Pease Caravan   Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:18 pm

ftrplt wrote:
Confession time!!! First, I'm truly glad to hear all these comments on how well older GLP blends smoke. Like de Oz Wizard, I never thought I would have 'baccy 10 or more years old!! How some ever, I do...And lots of it!! The GLP's in particular, because (here comes the confession!!), I've never popped a tin of The Dark Lord's makings!! Nope, never had any!! I have such a collection of bulks/jars that my tin "poppings" are few and far between!! I'm 70+, better get to it, huh??!! cheers FTRPLT

Well, don't hold me to this, but you might be pleasantly surprised!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

avatar

Age : 65
Location : Near the Emerald city
Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Trying out some 15 year old Pease Caravan   Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:07 pm

Ozark Wizard wrote:
ftrplt wrote:
Confession time!!! First, I'm truly glad to hear all these comments on how well older GLP blends smoke. Like de Oz Wizard, I never thought I would have 'baccy 10 or more years old!! How some ever, I do...And lots of it!! The GLP's in particular, because (here comes the confession!!), I've never popped a tin of The Dark Lord's makings!! Nope, never had any!! I have such a collection of bulks/jars that my tin "poppings" are few and far between!! I'm 70+, better get to it, huh??!! cheers FTRPLT

Well, don't hold me to this, but you might be pleasantly surprised!

Aye. The key for me anyway is to have GLP well aged.


Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
 
Trying out some 15 year old Pease Caravan
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» 4-Year-Old British Girl From Nottingham Killed By Car On Daytona Beach, Florida
» 50-Year-Old Woman Charged With Abducting 4-Year-Old Boy
» 11 year-old girl shot for playing too close to a car
» the real reaction 4 year olds have when they are left alone!!!! ( warning upsetting )
» Man charged with killing 4 year-old for wetting his pants.

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: The Tobacco Jar-
Jump to: