HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Best way to repair?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
huffelpuff

Registration date : 2011-12-10

PostSubject: Best way to repair?   Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:46 am

Ok so if you're crazy enough to try to do a repair like this what's the best way to do it?

The repair in question, the shank has broken off less than a half inch from the pipe bowl. Do you drill it out to say a quarter inch and insert a hardwood dowel then drill a new airway? Or do you go smaller and use stainless tubing or even carbon fiber tubing to do the repair? Or is there a better way that I haven't thought of?

Jim
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Best way to repair?   Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:51 am

huffelpuff wrote:
Ok so if you're crazy enough to try to do a repair like this what's the best way to do it?

The repair in question, the shank has broken off less than a half inch from the pipe bowl. Do you drill it out to say a quarter inch and insert a hardwood dowel then drill a new airway? Or do you go smaller and use stainless tubing or even carbon fiber tubing to do the repair? Or is there a better way that I haven't thought of?

Jim

Just reconnect the two pieces using stainless steel tubing and epoxy. Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ontariopiper

Registration date : 2015-03-10

PostSubject: Re: Best way to repair?   Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:42 am

Cartaphilus wrote:
Just reconnect the two pieces using stainless steel tubing and epoxy. Wink

Ouch, Jim! That's a heart-wrenching accident!

Great advice from Cart. A length of tubing and some epoxy works really well. Stainless steel will hold up best. but I've also used brass tubing when I couldn't find stainless.

If the break is clean, the pieces will fit together (almost) seamlessly for you, and epoxy (I like JB Weld) will fill gaps if there are shards of briar missing. If you really want to hide the repair, it's possible to rusticate the area and re-stain the pipe after the repair has cured. I did just that on a BC Supermate a while back. If you're interested, you can read about it here.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.dadspipes.com
huffelpuff

PostSubject: Re: Best way to repair?   Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:05 pm

Thank you for the input guys. I want to make sure I don't have to do this repair ever again. It looks like it was repaired before with CA glue and that obviously didn't hold.

Thx
Jim
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

PostSubject: Re: Best way to repair?   Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:59 pm

huffelpuff wrote:
Thank you for the input guys. I want to make sure I don't have to do this repair ever again. It looks like it was repaired before with CA glue and that obviously didn't hold.

Thx
Jim

Jim, here's the size you'll need and at a decent price below in the link..
You'll only need about an inch or less of it depending how close the break is to the chamber.
I wouldn't want the tubing entering it if possible. Just drill the draft out to 3/16" about a 1/2" on each piece making sure to follow the draft straight. Put the epoxy on the tube and NOT in the draft or it will squeeze out into it. Find a way to clamp it overnight, preferably 24 hours till it's set and then I'd still wait a day or two both smoking it, just to make sure. If you use regular epoxy you can peel off the excess that squeezed out when it just gets rubbery with a thumb nail. JB-weld I would be careful using because it can make a mess if you put more then you need on it. Oh! And make sure to get all the burrs off it, inside and outside so you don't have to try and run a file down it later. PM or call me if you have any other questions. I can also help ya with a way to clamp it up. Wink
Stainless Steel Tubing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
huffelpuff

PostSubject: Re: Best way to repair?   Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:41 pm

Thank you Ron you're a scholar and a gentleman as alsways. You've definitely peaked my curiosity as to how to clamp it.

Thanks again
Jim
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Best way to repair?   Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:54 am

Which pipe is it Jim? Hopefully not one of Kirk's!

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
huffelpuff

PostSubject: Re: Best way to repair?   Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:26 am

No worries Rande, it's just an old estate Sav. Kirk's pipes get the kid glove treatment. I'm not about to let anything happen to those.

Jim
Back to top Go down
View user profile
huffelpuff

PostSubject: Re: Best way to repair?   Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:40 am

Really enjoyed our chat today Ron. Lots of good information shared and I really appreciate your willingness to help out. I've decided to wait a bit and really think over what needs to be done and the best way to do it. Last thing I want is to bite off more than I can handle with my limited tooling.

Jim
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Best way to repair?   Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:56 pm

Ron is a pretty swell guy alright. You are wise to consider your plan before acting. Tough to undo a repair.... You'll figure it out, no worries! cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

PostSubject: Re: Best way to repair?   Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:32 pm

Ah Gees! It's getting pretty deep around here, thank god I wear boots.5)
I'm really not that nice of a guy, you guy's just seem to catch me at a weak moment most the time. Wink

Oh! And your very welcome Jim! You can always send it to me, I can't do any worse of a job then you sir.
That was suppose to sound good, not insulting. 5)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
huffelpuff

PostSubject: Re: Best way to repair?   Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:37 pm

Ron, it came across just fine lol. Besides it would take a whole lot worse than that to insult me. I'll certainly let you know what I decide to do.

Jim
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hermit

Registration date : 2008-04-22

PostSubject: Re: Best way to repair?   Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:54 am

Usually, when I break a pipe, I break the tenon.   Laughing
The one time I broke a shank, I fixed it with 
a dab of yellow Elmer's Carpenter's Wood Glue.
It was a really clean break on a rusticated pipe.
The repair has lasted for years and many bowls
and doesn't even show.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
scotties22

Registration date : 2012-06-10

PostSubject: Re: Best way to repair?   Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:20 am

Jim, shoot me a pm with your address. I literally have about 20 feet of that ss tube (I tend to use a lot of it on my pipes Laughing ). Let me know how much you need and I'll drop it in an envelope today.

I cut it with the crappy little pipe cutter from Harbor Freight. It does a great job as long as you can get a good hold on the tube and don't take too big of a cut
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.ladybriar.com Online

Best way to repair?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1