HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Funny story and a qestion

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
arkansaspiper

Registration date : 2016-01-22

PostSubject: Funny story and a qestion   Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:45 pm

So now I begin. I did a job for a man on his rideing lawn mower, easy enought carb clean. Well if you ever been in a carb they all have seals, if a carb don't seal, a carb don't work. Well I was being nice and just did a friendly check see if it was all good big big mistake.  Since when I left it ran it cut it did it all, meaning the carb sealed. He said I messed up his seal and he had to take it to a real repairman the seal is 6 Dollars hmm ok maby he should have got it running him self insted of saying he did not think I had tge intelligence to be a garbage man. Ouch. lol!

So my qestion if some one comes to do a job such as this, and the mower or what ever it is works when you leave, and works well and right. Did you not do your job even if it fails to work 2 weeks later. Btw he is also way to hard on his stuff.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Funny story and a qestion   Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:04 pm

Easy answer. If it left your shop in good working condition and then 2 weeks later it isn't, it's on him.

Did you demonstrate the working condition when he picked it up, and was he satisfied? And do you offer a limited guarantee?

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
arkansaspiper

PostSubject: Re: Funny story and a qestion   Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:07 pm

I went to him he ran it and mowed with it before I left.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: Funny story and a qestion   Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:16 pm

Then it's on him. Give him $6 and never deal with him again!

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
arkansaspiper

PostSubject: Re: Funny story and a qestion   Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:28 pm

Can't make the world happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Funny story and a qestion   Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:24 pm

I don't quite understand here, your writing skills/spelling is a bit hard to decipher but, from what I can understand is you cleaned the carb and then checked the seals? How does one properly clean a carb without taking it apart, and after taking it apart not change the seals? Did I miss something in translation?scratch
My only conclusion is that you took it apart and didn't replace the seals and this would certainly weaken the seals or seal. It may not leak or suck air right away or it may not at all but, why take that chance. Once a carb is broken open a seal change is just about mandatory. I was rebuilding carbs, single to 4 barrel starting when I was 15 years old and always changed seals after opening one up, at least the seal where I broke it open at.
Or am I not understanding what your saying at all? scratch
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
arkansaspiper

PostSubject: Re: Funny story and a qestion   Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:50 pm

I went to do a carb clean ok at a guys house.  There for did not have a replacement to put in, but it was just fine it was not perfect but there was not a lot I could do about it. I cleaned it and put back together. After putting it back together it ran and sealed. He then proceeded to kill the mower and restart it multiple multiple times never missed a beat started every time. There for it ran when I left and started every time he tryed to start it. I gave the guy the choose to bring it to me that allows me time to get the seals and not have him over my shoulder all the time. Also give me time to get parts I might need he said come to me I rather that. This leaves me with bringing g tools possibly noy bring all the tools or parts I might need. Sure if he brought it to me seals would be changed no prob he wanted me to clean and do it all at his shop with out me even seeing anything before I get there. So how did I know what to get for it and he was like 45 min from any small town.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lonecoyote

Registration date : 2016-10-15

PostSubject: Re: Funny story and a qestion   Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:31 am

Whenever you take a carburetor apart for cleaning always replace the seals. Once you remove a carb for repair you also compromise the integrity of the seal.  It will save you a big headache down the line. When younger I use to clean Rochester Quadrajet carbs, which GM used in many of their models. If it was not a simple Gumout cleaning and needed to be taken apart, I automatically ordered the seal kit and also replaced the float. Same with the Holley 850 double pumper carb, a BITCH to work on but ALL the seals went bad often on this gas guzzling carb. Seal replacement is a MUST, because if you didn't once you turn the key on the vehicle with the 850 carb installed, you had a much greater chance of causing an immediate fire under the hood.

So Arky, I hope you learned from this experience, if it's more then a spray cleaning and you need to take the carb apart to properly repair, always replace the seals. If not it will most likely come back and bite you in the A$$!!

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bosun1

Registration date : 2012-10-23

PostSubject: Re: Funny story and a qestion   Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:07 am

Brewdude wrote:
Then it's on him. Give him $6 and never deal with him again!

Yep, and "Have a nice day"...

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile
arkansaspiper

PostSubject: Re: Funny story and a qestion   Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:11 pm

That's the problem lone I took.it apart lesson I learned is don't do house calls have them.always bring it to me. I took it apart cleaned it. Cleaned.jets but had no way to get a new seal after I cleaned it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: Funny story and a qestion   Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:59 pm

You can't win them all Travis. Just move on.

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
arkansaspiper

PostSubject: Re: Funny story and a qestion   Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:49 pm

10/4 good buddy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lonecoyote

Registration date : 2016-10-15

PostSubject: Re: Funny story and a qestion   Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:01 pm

Arky, we all learn from our mistakes and I agree with you...NO HOUSE CALLS!! You never know what you will run into when working on any size engine.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
arkansaspiper

PostSubject: Re: Funny story and a qestion   Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:11 pm

Ya it's been a hard week has a calf born dead and this guy and I hit my limit.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Thistleoak

Registration date : 2012-08-14

PostSubject: Re: Funny story and a qestion   Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:05 pm

Arky, when I am working on a carb on one of my motorcycles even if I am just cleaning it I always put new seals in.   Some times the products we use to clean the unit can mess up the integrity of the seals.  You by no means did anything wrong.  You dont necessarily have to replace seals every time you work on a carb its just something I do because I want to make sure I am not stranded hundreds of miles from home if something like that does go wrong
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Funny story and a qestion
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1